Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

"Haitch" on the BBC!

(78 Posts)
phoenix Wed 28-Jun-17 21:47:43

Watching "The Week The Landlords Moved In" on BBC1, and leaving aside the issues on the state of the properties and the attitude of the landlords, I was a bit shock at the person doing the voice over saying "Haitch" when referring to HMO's (houses of multiple occupancy).

Shouldn't people doing commentaries be expected to pronounce words correctly?

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 09:53:44

sorry phoenix it was an exasperated cleaner who used to say that to us as we attempted to get into our offices over her clean wet floowerr grin (in Devon)

Juggernaut Tue 18-Jul-17 09:31:58

Stupid, stupid iphone!

Juggernaut Tue 18-Jul-17 09:31:00

mcem
You would hear my 'floor' as 'flaw'smile

Juggernaut Tue 18-Jul-17 09:29:17

mcem
You would hear 'floor' as 'flaw'!smile

phoenix Mon 17-Jul-17 23:56:54

On the subject of pronouncing words, is it only me that wants to shake Bob Flowerdew on Gardeners Question Time, Radio 4,. for the way he says "grown" ( and various other words) he always seems to say "growen" with 2 syllables, rather than "grown" with one.

phoenix Mon 17-Jul-17 23:50:16

Jalima I actually read that as more Brummie than Devonian!

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Jul-17 23:43:56

Jie sounds a bit Brummie to me - jie, kie

And floor should be floowerr as in ''ave yew stepped owverr moy noice clene floowerr?'
(Poor attempt at Devon!)

mcem Mon 17-Jul-17 22:25:13

But juggernaut does your floor sound the same as my flore? Or does it round like florr-al ? Or would I hear it as flaw?

Baggs Mon 17-Jul-17 22:22:43

Yep, people say j to rhyme with tie round here (Argyll).

mcem Mon 17-Jul-17 22:19:32

I think 'jie' is maybe a West coast thing. Not normally used in the east. I loathe it and always insisted on 'jay'.

phoenix Mon 17-Jul-17 22:06:20

GN is always a revelation, I have never in all my years even known that there was another way of pronouncing "J" shock

Juggernaut Mon 17-Jul-17 18:57:51

Penstemmon
I agree that some words have regional differences in pronunciation, such as lawndry/londry and raylway/ralway.
However, a chimney is always a chimney, there is no such thing as a 'chimbly'!
NanKate
I'm a northener, and I say 'floral' as in floor!
Elrel In my world, they're aLmonds!

NanKate Mon 17-Jul-17 07:03:47

My friend who originates from the North says floral (as in hot) and I say floral (as in floor). Must be a regional thing.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Jul-17 22:42:55

I've never heard 'j' pronounced as 'jie' - always 'jay'.

Of course, since the DGD have been learning to read, I realise that I have pronounced the alphabet wrongly all my life!

Marydoll Sun 16-Jul-17 22:20:33

We taught j to rhyme with " die" in my school in West of Scotland.

FarNorth Sun 16-Jul-17 22:15:50

I learned J as jie too. I always thought it was a Scots thing, or maybe certain areas of Scotland.

Penstemmon Sun 16-Jul-17 21:56:01

When teaching children in school I believe government guidelines suggest AITCH as the name of the letter H. Probably is regional too like chimney/chimbly, Lawndry/Londry, Ralway/Raylway, etc etc.

Elrel Sun 16-Jul-17 21:49:12

Almonds does seem to be generational! Did anyone else listening to The Archers omnibus hear Jill say 'almonds' to Kirsty who replied about the nut milk with 'aumond'!

Alima Sun 16-Jul-17 13:08:43

Haitch is 'orrid. DH is Scots wildswan and has always pronounced J to rhyme with die. Always thought it was just a Scots thing of which there are many.

wildswan16 Sun 16-Jul-17 12:23:57

When I went to school we pronounced J as (jay) but now I hear a lot of young people saying J as ji (rhyming with die). When did that happen?

Juggernaut Sat 15-Jul-17 20:37:25

The correct pronunciation is 'aitch'!
'Haitch' is ridiculous and althouh it may be used by some 'intelligent' people, I think it makes them instantly appear ignorant!

MargaretX Sat 15-Jul-17 20:36:58

I think Haitch is a mistake made my people who should know better or weren't corrected at school or by their parents. Perfect pronunciation is always better then the latest slang approved by the young. as soon as they need to go for an interview they will go back to saying aitch.

Anya Sat 15-Jul-17 20:28:32

Phoenix that 'haitch' used to drive me mad too. But I've given up worrying about it.

Bellanonna Sat 15-Jul-17 20:10:46

With regard to aitch, I pronounce it as written. However, there us an aitch in my car reg number and I do tend to aspirate it when I'm booking it in for a service, only because on the 'phone it could be mistsken for A. That would apply to any H over the phone really. One pet hate is when people say an hotel. Or an historical event. We don't say an 'ospital or an 'ouse. Really don't get that.

Coolgran65 Sat 15-Jul-17 19:36:46

I am also an aa-monds speaker and have to admit to saying fill-um. (N. Ireland)).