Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Hare's breath

(110 Posts)
Elrel Sun 24-Sep-17 23:20:16

Nooo, 10 o'clock news. Did anyone else hear 'hare's breath' instead of 'hair's breadth'? The newsreader was describing the incident with the coach narrowly avoiding disaster in the Austrian Alps.

Baggs Wed 04-Oct-17 16:30:22

Chyuld has been around at least since I was nine, which was when we moved to Lancashire. My mum used to complain about us saying chyuld but it's what everyone else around us said so we carried on until we moved somewhere else (mum's still in Lancs) and learned different pronunciations.

stephenfryer Wed 04-Oct-17 16:10:09

And chyuld instead of child!

Tweedle24 Tue 03-Oct-17 12:18:23

There was an interview this morning with a highly respected CEO of a group of companies. Every reply to a question was preceded by,"So...". Grrrrrr!

Christinefrance Tue 03-Oct-17 12:00:30

Yes why do people pronounce it like that Lorna its so irritating.
Last night the BBC told us something was ' very unique'
The words 'diffuse' and 'defuse' have different meanings but are often confused.

Ana Tue 03-Oct-17 11:57:50

Yes, and 'fith'.

LornaS Tue 03-Oct-17 11:43:33

Also I can't stand the modern way of saying sixth.To me 'sicth' sounds as though they've got a speech impediment

grumppa Sat 30-Sep-17 14:07:32

"Can I get?" drives me mad, especially when used by DD2, who should know better. Mercifully, her children aged 9 and 6 both say "Please may I have?" to the lady in the school tuck shop when we indulge them. If this is what they have been taught at school, well done the teachers!

MaizieD Sat 30-Sep-17 11:17:24

Late to the party...

Something that is really bugging me is the use of 'like' as a substitute for 'as though' or 'as if'. You use 'like' to compare two or more things, not to say that something is likely to happen.

Baggs I think there is a very fine line to be drawn between local accents and mispronunciation. I sometimes wonder if we'll end up with a situation where interpreters are needed as we pass from region to region. (It actually happened in the 18th century) hmm

Baggs Thu 28-Sep-17 21:33:53

Heard an American on a video clip say veehickle today. He did it more than once too. He was an excellent debater. Really excellent. Haven't heard someone argue anything so strongly for aeons.

CarrieTaylor Thu 28-Sep-17 08:27:56

I really don't know why but I loathe "mine" and "yours" as in "Are we meeting at mine or yours?"

I also hate "Mains" for Main Course on menus.

MawBroon Thu 28-Sep-17 08:27:16

This makes me think of a Radio programme on Radio 4 I think on Thursdays(?) which I always hear as "Cross Incontinence" grin

Elrel Thu 28-Sep-17 00:58:39

Yes, but look at the things that the well spoken, well educated JR-M does say!

quizqueen Thu 28-Sep-17 00:35:17

I hate it when people on tv (especially in the days of Cameron and Osborne) say 'gonna' instead of 'going to'. Do they think it improves their street cred? I think it was a waste of their parents' money sending them to private school. I bet Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn't say it.

Baggs Wed 27-Sep-17 19:25:03

BTW, bb, I didn't say you were snobbish. I said an attitude was snobbish. I've always thought criticism of pronunciation differences such as with 'garage' was a snobbish attitude and I always will.

Besides, both pronunciations are marked as correct in my dictionaries (yes, dictionaries plural) so it's a wrong attitude as well. Pedantry is irrelevant when there are two or more correct forms.

Baggs Wed 27-Sep-17 19:17:24

Is it really appropriate to criticise the speaker for simply not knowing some subjective 'correct' way to speak?

Nope.

Something I came across not so long ago, which is related but not exactly the same: when someone mispronounces not very common words, it's likely that they've learned them by reading them not by hearing them. Given how odd English spelling can be, it's hardly surprising if people get pronunciations wrong.

I thought vehicle was pronounced veehickle until my dad told me the correct pronunciation. I'd have been about eight and reading the word off a road sign.

He thought that a street that, as a boy, he cycled past regularly was called Gipton Appricotch. He liked it but wondered how it got that name. Then one day he read Approach ?

Baggs Wed 27-Sep-17 19:10:27

My husband is Welsh, bb, so I doubt it.

Elrel Wed 27-Sep-17 16:58:46

Baggs - Right there with you! I started this thread because I was surprised and sad at what I perceived as a Radio4 presenter's malapropism. It seems it may be an alternative although not one that is familiar to me.
Far to easy to judge those whose form and use of words differ from our own as 'posh' or 'common', 'lazy' or 'ignorant'. If communication is clear it really doesn't matter.

Ignorant means, in The New Oxford Dictionary of English,
'lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.'

So many posts are apparently criticising speech they consider to be 'ignorant'. Is it really appropriate to criticise the speaker for simply not knowing some subjective 'correct' way to speak?

BBbevan Wed 27-Sep-17 16:50:36

There are numerous ways of spelling and pronouncing words in the English language. I prefer to say garage with an 'a' and not 'garij' I may be pedantic but not snobbish Baggs . I am Welsh myself and probably pronounce many words in a way you might disapprove of. Enough said

Baggs Wed 27-Sep-17 15:09:14

I've met people (plenty) who had a snobbish attitude to northerners' short As (as in bath and grass, etc) and 'oo's in words like mug.

I've also met more who don't have that kind of snobbish attitude.

Baggs Wed 27-Sep-17 14:51:16

It's the attitude that's snobbish, bbevan. One can discard an attitude. Especially about something so unimportant as how people from different places pronounce certain words.

BBbevan Wed 27-Sep-17 12:38:17

Well that is Scottish, if the man on the front has anything to do with it. Therefore different pronunciation ??

Ana Wed 27-Sep-17 12:18:04

Wat about porage? (Scott's Porage Oats)

BBbevan Wed 27-Sep-17 12:08:39

The different pronunciation is due to the spelling. Garage, Farage has one r. Porridge has two .

BBbevan Wed 27-Sep-17 11:53:55

Baggs never, ever have I been called snobbish. I feel quite insulted

Baggs Wed 27-Sep-17 11:33:14

Do the people who say gar'äzh (or geräzh') rather than gar'ij also say por'äzh when it is spelled porage? Or do they stick with porridge like normal people??