Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Another grumble....

(60 Posts)
Katek Thu 14-Dec-17 14:01:13

These have appeared on my FB page today. - ”redified” and “litchelly”. Took me a minute.

GrandmaKT Sun 17-Dec-17 00:18:58

I've seen 'Chester drawers' advertised several times on Facebook buy n sell pages. One that took a bit of working out recently was someone asking if anyone had a "Harley Quinn" outfit she could borrow!

Elrel Sat 16-Dec-17 21:29:12

Those are both brilliant, definitely for the staffroom notice board!

grannyticktock Sat 16-Dec-17 16:10:55

Two great ones from my grandson's school (can't be too critical, they're still learning, but these are too good not to share):
From his friend, writing about his favourite subjects: "I like fonix".
From my grandson, in his English exercise book: "Hear are some homophones " .
As his Mum said, these would actually be quite witty if they'd been written on purpose!

Elrel Sat 16-Dec-17 10:40:40

Small GS, after jumping on his DF, solemnly told me he mustn't hurt Daddy's besticles!

ninathenana Sat 16-Dec-17 09:23:51

Predictive text isn't really an excuse for spelling and grammar errors on FB as they tchwink have an edit facility.

Day6 Sat 16-Dec-17 08:45:20

I noticed on a menu that coldsaw was available with salad.

Day6 Sat 16-Dec-17 08:36:34

Has anyone else noticed that estate agents will describe houses as having Dorma windows?

Friday Sat 16-Dec-17 07:59:55

I agree absent

absent Sat 16-Dec-17 03:57:02

I don't think there is more illiteracy around than in the past; quite the contrary and far from it. I do think it is very important – sometimes critical – to use words correctly. I should like teachers to be left alone, without diktats from government about how to do their job, to ensure that, largely, this happens.

Solitaire Sat 16-Dec-17 02:16:37

My grandson when small asked if he could have 'quad bikes and ships' from the fish and chip shop. Cod bites and chips.

2mason16 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:15:31

My friend told a new doctor that she takes frolic acid!

Smithy Fri 15-Dec-17 20:32:48

Don't know if anyone noticed, Overthehills, but they used that expression on the last episode of Howard's End. "I'm good" in reply to the question "how are you".
Also some tv presenter recently said "they're on tenderhooks"

rockgran Fri 15-Dec-17 20:32:28

My grandson insists that the weapon in Starwars is a light 'saver'. I thought this amusing until I saw that Amazon and Ebay often use this spelling!

librarylady Fri 15-Dec-17 20:30:46

I think 'ship this couple' is shorthand for do you want this couple to be in a relationSHIP. Many people 'shipped' Ted & Robin in How I Met Your Mother, although I certainly did not. I think it is a dreadful phrase.

Overthehills Fri 15-Dec-17 20:06:46

Me: How are you?
A N Other: I’m good!
Me: I’ll be the judge of that!
tchgrin

Elrel Fri 15-Dec-17 19:09:18

Far North - gesture, of course, thanks!

AlisonKF Fri 15-Dec-17 19:00:08

The villain in many apparently illiterate emails is the dratted corrector which makes gibberish of many communications. I am an excellent speller, but keep the thing to speed up the chore of typing. I have often been embarrassed by stupid looking vocabulary in messages I did not check sufficiently. Maybe my next resolution is to find out how to delete this menace to communication.

FarNorth Fri 15-Dec-17 18:49:25

Goodwill gesture

Ship this couple, though?? confused

Elrel Fri 15-Dec-17 18:28:28

Nope - I can't fathom either 'good will jester' or 'ship this couple'. Elucidation please!

craftynan Fri 15-Dec-17 17:41:25

Jane10, I have a problem with “good” as well. I always want to tell people I wasn’t asking about their behaviour!

kitlong Fri 15-Dec-17 17:19:36

War drove (wardrobe) chester draws, they're, their, there, allowed, aloud - so many that drive me bonkers. I think "gotten" is the one that gets to me the most. It was even written in the itinerary from our last tour operator as in "tickets can be gotten....".

lemongrove Fri 15-Dec-17 16:41:06

I think President Bush has a lot to answer for.

pollyperkins Fri 15-Dec-17 16:29:54

There have always been a lot of people who find spelling and grammar difficult. I was amazed when I was teaching how many children confused words like accept and except , rigid and ridged. It's not to do with teaching standards falling really, some will never get it. But today we come across a much wider range of people through social media (such as this site too) so it seems to some of us (Including me) that there is more illiteracy about. My own problem is that I'm writing on my phone with predictive text which I can't work out how to switch off!

pollyperkins Fri 15-Dec-17 15:48:07

Someone wrote (on email, so dont blame facebook) that he loves eating profiter rolls

Jane43 Fri 15-Dec-17 15:14:32

A student of mine once used ‘haughty culture’ instead of ‘horticulture’.