Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Announcers that drop their t's

(48 Posts)
Menopaws Mon 18-Dec-17 21:26:07

I heard three radio advertisements today on the trot spoken by people who dropped their t's all the way through. I have also noticed more to announcers doing it. Now I'm not expecting the old fashioned BBC style and understand times change, people from all different regions etc but surely hanging on to the t in words is not too much to ask.

LadyGracie Thu 21-Dec-17 13:11:22

Listen out for the missing ‘g’s’, my pet hate!

stephenfryer Thu 21-Dec-17 10:20:03

smile

Greyduster Thu 21-Dec-17 09:14:18

stephenfryer does your Emma Revans keep company with ‘Laura Norder’, I wonder??

Lilypops Wed 20-Dec-17 23:24:29

I cringe now at the words bo ul for bottle or dropping the t out of water, becomes waw u , , it's so lazy , also free instead of three, and don't get me started on the younger girls who drop their voices to a croak at the end of a sentence,, like '

sluttygran Wed 20-Dec-17 23:12:35

Havin’ a larf ‘ere!
Ai reahlleh do think we should all tawk ez they do in ‘The Crine ‘.
What a very good suggestion! ?

MissAdventure Wed 20-Dec-17 20:17:40

I don't speak 'correctly', apparently, according to the last thread on the subject, and yet I was an executive officer in the civil service. So.. that theory is out of the window. Strangely enough, most other people I worked with spoke the same way, as we're all from the same area.

MawBroon Wed 20-Dec-17 20:09:52

Is it Groundhog Day?
How often have the same peeves been deemed worthy of a thread?

We are all of course entirely blameless in matters of pronunciation and the finer points of grammar.

I expect any JCR in the land would be shamed by our diction and linguistic perfection. tchhmm

Camelotclub Wed 20-Dec-17 20:00:58

And you see council street signs saying 'Advanced Warning'. In what way is it advanced? Passed its A Levels has it?

Camelotclub Wed 20-Dec-17 19:59:23

And why do they say 'sickth' instead of 'sixth'?

And start every sentence with 'So....'

CardiffJaguar Wed 20-Dec-17 19:50:26

People who do not speak correctly mark themselves out to others as uneducated; that has serious implications for jobs and advancement. Regrettably they do not seem to realise what they are doing to themselves.

stephenfryer Wed 20-Dec-17 18:42:39

Then there is the intrusive 'r' inserted between first and last names. For example, Emma Evans becomes Emma Revans.

sue01 Wed 20-Dec-17 18:10:51

I'll join !

Scribbles Wed 20-Dec-17 17:37:51

Maybe I'm unreasonable but I want to scream when I hear that somebody has "passed away". He died, for goodness sake!
Oh, and in which stable does the Mare of London reside, please?

gerry86 Wed 20-Dec-17 17:26:02

What I really hate is "somethink" "nothink", more and more people say this now, it makes me what to shout out the word correctly.

gerry86 Wed 20-Dec-17 17:26:01

What I really hate is "somethink" "nothink", more and more people say this now, it makes me what to shout out the word correctly.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-Dec-17 17:07:01

Recently when a death is mentioned the announcer says "Fred Bloggs, star of blah blah blah has passed away. He was 90 and had been suffering with illness for some time". They might even play a brief passage from the show (with various voices) but they don't repeat the blasted name so I'm left wondering who the devil they're referring to. If you don't catch the name first time you've had it.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 20-Dec-17 16:30:24

The adverb: An endangered species What a truly wonderful idea! I am with you all the way, Deed5y

jeberdes83 Wed 20-Dec-17 16:30:15

What about "them things" instead of those things. Awful!

Deed5y Wed 20-Dec-17 12:57:11

I mourn the loss of the adverb. My grandson’s school has large signs outside it, for example, asking drivers to ‘Park Safe’, when it should be ‘Park Safely’, etc. If you listen to very many interviews, an adverb has become increasingly rare. Perhaps I should start a ‘Save the Adverb’ campaign!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-Dec-17 12:43:09

Blimey, where do I start? I know that I don't exactly speak the Queen's English but I find myself squirming at some of the things I hear. It's been mentioned here how irritating beginning a sentence with "So" is and I could put my foot through the telly whenever I hear it.
Have you noticed that the word "which" seems to have largely disappeared? On many a quiz show a question starts, "What type of ...?" Am I wrong in thinking it should be "Which type of etc ...?"
Honestly, I think I'm going to have to create a soft woolly pom-pom especially to throw at the screen so that I can vent my spleen without causing damage. I'm going to need a bag!

sue01 Wed 20-Dec-17 12:34:28

Oh no... don't start me off.... what about wrap up warm.... aaaarrrgh .... even the BBC say that ! And they say
resh-ter-ront... and hos-pit-tool... no wonder people are turning off in droves !

Dogsjj Wed 20-Dec-17 12:17:24

Couldn’t agree more. I am quite deaf, but manage mostly with hearing aids. Sometimes have to turn the radio off! It’s just laziness isn’t it?

cheneslieges132 Wed 20-Dec-17 11:55:49

Don't get me started on the letter "H" (aitch). No one - but no one - nowadays knows that there are only four words in the entire English Language where "H" is silent, (eg HEIR, HOUR, HONOUR etc). I am sick and tired of hearing "an horrendous ..." "an horrific ....." etc etc - how I wish this could be taught properly nowadays. There is no "HAITCH" at the start & end of my surname, (which is a famous whisky with an added "AITCH" at each end). Just look in the Dictionary to find out the correct pronunciation of the letter "H" - it is definitely AITCH.

oldgaijin Wed 20-Dec-17 11:54:13

Well, Esspee...the haitch drives me nuts. It's aitch, aitch, AITCH. Flars for flowers, flower for flour and my pet hate is unrolled R's as in iyon for iron and Iyeland for Ireland.
Don't get me started on 'you know what I mean?'...that's for a new thread! Rant over, feel much better.

Teddy123 Wed 20-Dec-17 11:42:08

My pet hate is "I done it". No no no, you did it".