Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

When did 'contact' become 'reach out?'

(22 Posts)
Morgi Mon 05-Mar-18 07:03:52

The US have for a long time used REACH OUT, instead of call/contact.

Recently I was asked to reach out to Simon, a work colleague.
My first thought was there had been a death in the family, it turned out he had forgotten a bag under his desk.

I rang his mobile then passed the phone to my colleague, who then left a message.
"Hi Si, I am REACHING OUT TO You because you left your bag in the office."

I hope this epidemic of touchy Feely speak does not become the norm.

It makes me feel creepy and a bit like part of a female singing group from years ago.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 05-Mar-18 07:09:48

Not a phrase I’ll be using anytime soon.

Morgi Mon 05-Mar-18 07:12:27

Glad to hear it.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Mar-18 07:13:30

Why play into it and leave a message ?

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 05-Mar-18 07:29:31

Due to your post Morgi, I’ve spent some time researching American phrases,( ok I googled it) apparently Americans should use the following phrases and how to use them, in order to blend in with us Brits,
Conk , a blow to the head, nurse this chap has conked himself
Eating irons, this term is often used in restaurants or in a friends home, these eating irons aren’t clean, good luck with that one.
Ivories, a common phrase especially of use in a Dentists
Spawny, to tell a Brit how lucky he is
And my very favourite
Jock, a common greeting to be used when in Scotland!
I’d like to be there when an American greets a Glaswegian with that one.
It’s surprising though, the number of common phrases that we now use that came from the USA.

jenpax Mon 05-Mar-18 08:10:03

Oh Oopsadaisy12 I haven’t ever heard any of those phrases used in the UK possibly Jock but not in a complimentary way🙄 and Ivories I thought referred to a piano🤣

Anniebach Mon 05-Mar-18 08:44:08

The one that so annoys me, - in lock down instead of cordoned off

sodapop Mon 05-Mar-18 08:47:14

Think Mr Google needs to update himself a bit oopsadaisy

Reaching out would mean trying to help someone who was struggling emotionally I thought.

Teetime Mon 05-Mar-18 09:35:11

Reach Out - yuk.

Its 'not on my watch' that irritates me as though these people were the leaders of the free world.

ninathenana Mon 05-Mar-18 09:54:30

You can be conked out as in unconscious but I've never heard conked as in hit on the head but I have heard clonked. Also conk is slang for nose.
Eating irons is a military term I believe. I'd never heard it until ex SiL joined the army.
Certainly not common in UK. Americans have some weird ideas about us but it works both ways.

Morgi Mon 05-Mar-18 14:33:36

Exactly what I thought.

Morgi Mon 05-Mar-18 14:35:07

Oopsadaisy, I had a good giggle at your post, a nice way to start the working week. smile

lemongrove Mon 05-Mar-18 14:54:25

Haha, Also, if you are in the US never ask for faggots, or say that you need a fag, or say that somebody knocked you up in the middle of the night.Two countries divided by a common language!😆

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 05-Mar-18 15:58:54

Apparently no self respecting American especially a business man would dream of coming to the UK without knowing these well used (??) phrases......... having said that my old American boss stunned us all when he told us that his wife had fallen onto her Fanny! Hmmmm it seems he meant backside, he was red faced when we explained the difference to him.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 05-Mar-18 16:00:15

Teetime, they think they are the leaders of the free world.

Nandalot Mon 05-Mar-18 16:25:30

Ivories to me are piano keys, as in give us a tinkle on the ivories. Ooh that sounds a bit suspect now I come to think of it.

yggdrasil Mon 05-Mar-18 16:26:53

What we call a bum bag, they call a fanny bag. :-)

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 05-Mar-18 16:34:59

And don’t get me started on rubbers.....

ninathenana Mon 05-Mar-18 16:39:48

Purses and pants

grandtanteJE65 Fri 09-Mar-18 16:32:10

Oopsadaisy - I nearly killed myself laughing at your word picture of an American greeting as Glaswegian as Jock!

My pet hates amongst Americanisms are "meet with" instead of "meet" "off of" instead of "off" and "ass" instead of "arse" which is what I would say if I really wanted to be rude. Oh, and the use of inappropriate in "inappropriate behaviour", which we all seem to use these days for what when I was young was just called bad behaviour or misbehaving oneself.

My imagination ran riot the first time I came across the expression "sexual congress" instead of "sexual intercourse", but I don't suppose any American would understand that their expression rather conjured up visions of lewd behaviour amongst politicians.

Farmor15 Sat 10-Mar-18 14:32:24

Randy is a common name in US!

And Americans don’t queue - they stand in line.

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 14:44:39

If I hear one more American make over show in which the people say how ‘Awesome’ it is I will, well, I don’t know what I’ll do, just groan ...... again.