Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Slovenly speech, incorrect grammar etc.

(156 Posts)
NanKate Mon 05-Mar-18 14:49:15

The DJ Steve Wright is appalling with his slovenly speech. He usually starts his Love Songs programmes with a long drawn out L O.

Yesterday I switched off when he said in response to a song finishing 'Don't that sound good' so his grammar is rubbish too.

Some presenters leave the g off ing and add a k, as in somethink.

I could go on but I won't.

Over to you.

sodapop Fri 25-Jan-19 06:37:33

I can hear my mother saying that now Bradfordlass if I lapsed with my speech.
I was always taught that you differ from and liken to, but nowadays it is nearly always
'different to '.

BradfordLass72 Fri 25-Jan-19 03:53:51

My mother was hot on what she called 'scruffy speech' and gave us many informal elocution lessons..

In Bradford, it was common to hear 'butter' and 'water' with a middle glottal stop but not if you were in my mother's hearing! She insisted on that T sound being made crisply and clearly. I can still hear here saying, "I BEG your pardon?' if I inadvertently brought home scruffy speech from school smile

MissAdventure Sun 06-Jan-19 14:51:17

I was in deepest Essex in the late 60s/70s.
Perhaps the importance of it had changed by then.

I do know the differences between its, it's, their they're and there though, so its not all bad. (It's not all bad?!)

mcem Sun 06-Jan-19 14:44:45

Maizie! no-one seems to know???
How very dare you!!

MaizieD Sun 06-Jan-19 09:30:54

I learned it in deepest Essex. At junior school. Late 1950s...

Also learned the difference between 'its' and 'it's'; something no-one seems to know now...

PECS Sun 06-Jan-19 08:35:02

And taught to me too..in suburban "sarf London" in the 60s at a secondary modern. wink

MawBroon Sun 06-Jan-19 00:19:16

The benefits of a Scottish education, mcem ?

mcem Sat 05-Jan-19 23:54:22

posters' - plural possessive

suggestions of the posters (pl) - the posters' suggestions
suggestions of the poster (sing) - the poster's suggestions

GabriellaG54 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:33:03

Poster's (possessive)grin

mcem Thu 03-Jan-19 14:28:30

posters' (plural)

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 14:11:17

Typical...hmm
*poster's.

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 14:09:48

Myself
Yourself
Him and I
Me and John/Monica (Greg Wallace)
Out the window
Any unfinished word or 'f' replacing 'th'.
All previous posters suggestions.
I'll leave it there. grin

It has little to do with poor education.
I left school with NO qualifications, not having sat any exams.

GrannyBeek Fri 28-Dec-18 18:42:28

Love all these examples, most of which I hate, too. I'm happy that language evolves, but not at the expense of meaning. The current bugbear is a mother who has 2 children talking about "my eldest/youngest". This tells me that she has more than 2 children...grrr.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:36:47

I was taught the rule about not ending a sentence with a preposition , but my English mistress did admit that not doing so sometimes led to very involved sentences.

My pet hate is the expression "reverse back" used by drivers. An attempt to reverse forward would probably ruin their gear-box. However, an increasing number of people don't seem to realise that "to reverse" means "to go or move backwards".

sodapop Sun 16-Dec-18 18:32:03

Hull has a very definite accent all of its own stree I can recognise someone from there as soon as they start to speak. That seller obviously spells phonetically.

H1954 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:49:12

My pet hate is the use of 'of' instead of have!!! !!! For instance..........."you should of had a letter by now".
ARRRRRGGGGGHHH!

PECS Thu 04-Oct-18 17:54:41

I accept changes to language as it is always evolving.. I do not like many of them but c'est la vie! I do find it extremely irritating when spoken grammar is poor e.g. 'They was..'
or ' get off of it' etc. but in the end the important thing is to be able to communicate and as long as meaning is understood then I can' t get too upset about it.

Alexa Thu 04-Oct-18 17:23:38

Estate agent on TV said "the auction was literally full to the gunwhales". Another estate agent on Tv said "the shops are literally on your doorstep".

kathsue Thu 04-Oct-18 15:48:27

My pet hate at the moment is people getting on the property market. No, you can get on the property ladder or in(to) the property market.

patcaf Thu 04-Oct-18 15:34:55

Language and grammar change constantly. Currently most people under 60 are OK with things as long as the message is clear and understood. How it is phrased, spelled or spoken is immaterial.
Yes it will continue to annoy some of us. Probably best to accept that accents no longer matter , English is now ( and always was) a mix of different spellings , and American English will take over.

stree Thu 04-Oct-18 14:33:54

I was intrigued by someone online from Hull selling "Lots of varnul" with no accompanying picture.
My curiosity got the better of me and I sent a message asking what is meant by "varnul?"
He replied, " Mostly LPs but some singles"

ninathenana Wed 03-Oct-18 13:48:11

I know this thread has been going for a while but I've just read Grammareto post 16/7/18 .
Where the poster talks about the Irish and the Scotch. Scotch is a beverage, people from Scotland are Scottish.

annodomini Wed 03-Oct-18 11:42:57

Agreed, mcem. I am also irritated by the use of 'I' as object. The worst offender on TV is on Master Chef when the presenter, John Torode, invariably asks contestants to do such and such 'for Greg and I'. If he was talking only about himself, would he say, 'for I'? I shout at the TV every time, but he seems not to hear me.

Miep1 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:38:03

Although, like, I was tort Inglish gramma at school, like, I worked as an advertising copywriter, like, for sevral yeers. it was okay, like, to murda the langidge, like, but that's advertising for you!

mcem Wed 03-Oct-18 11:26:40

Speaking about a coffee date I did once say here on GN, " My friend and I meet up once a month".
I was roundly told off by a poster who accused me of utter snobbery.
According to her, no-one in real life would say that and it would always be "me and my friend" in normal speech!
Not in my normal speech!!