Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Can I get?

(170 Posts)
Toddleo Thu 16-Aug-18 16:28:25

I am really irritated by this modern way of asking for things.
In a cafe for example "can I get a large latte" "can I get a toasted sandwich"
I just want to scream "NO YOU CAN'T, because you are not allowed in the kitchen/behind the counter etc...."

What is wrong with "please may I have...." Grrrr

Rufus2 Thu 23-Aug-18 09:09:12

It all sounds like normal everyday language to me
Jalima: Obviously you didn't find it too rude! I thought it might be useful for next time you visit the rellies, (Sydneysiders?), but if you are all walking around speaking Strine everyday, it's surplus to requirements I guess! OoRoo grin

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Aug-18 20:21:19

ps thanks FarNorth!

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Aug-18 20:20:59

It all sounds like normal everyday language to me Rufus!grin

Craicon Wed 22-Aug-18 10:46:00

One of my pet peeves is when you’re setting up and choosing your language on a piece of Tech and it offers you the choice of US English or British English.

Surely it should be English or US English/Canadian English etc.? It doesn’t offer NI English.

It irrationally annoys me every time. angry

Rufus2 Wed 22-Aug-18 08:25:48

I've tracked it down!
Far North; well done, but it's funny that it worked for me without the html suffix; perhaps your browser added it automatically! Your grin grin says you didn't find it rude; not all of it anyway! wink

Rufus2 Wed 22-Aug-18 08:11:47

Oh no, not found
Perhaps it's too rude
Jalima; Far North sussed it out and I'm sure you can. Too rude? No way! It's an Aussie website after all. shock Perhaps your browser is an expurgated (school) version. Did you get it "on special" via your DD?
Thanks for your concern about my diet. I did have 2 "bangers" for my evening snack, with baked beans, but not the 'aricot type! grin Happy reading

FarNorth Tue 21-Aug-18 22:36:22

I've tracked it down!

koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

gringrin already

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:26:54

Oh no, not found
Perhaps it's too rude.

Rufus2 Tue 21-Aug-18 15:16:13

sorry, it's night-time there!
Jalima, so it is! I've been so captivated by today's posts I hadn't noticed. smile
Now it's after midnight and I should be in the land of dreams, but as a special favour I've dug out a website that should keep that school class happy for the rest of the year! I'd vet it first though in case school inspectors are around. It hasn't become active, but no worries! highlight it (rt.click) and select 'Search Google etc. etc." It's just worked for me so I'll look forward to hearing that it's OK for you by the time I wake up again! grin

koalanet.com.au/australian-slang
OoRoo

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 14:39:55

Rufus see my post of Mon 20-Aug-18 17:55:36

ps do you mean you've never eaten a sanger? Have one this arvo after you've filled up at the servo grin
sorry, it's night-time there!

Rufus2 Tue 21-Aug-18 13:53:07

Words such as'servo', 'arvo', 'sanger', 'doco' are essential - Rufus will understand wink
Jalima; 'allo, allo, allo. What's going on 'ere then?
Are you trying to dob me in for something I didn't do! ? shock
I shouldn't have to remind you that I'm the self - appointed (unpaid) British cultural attachè to Melb. As such, it's my job to promulgate Britain's linguistic skills as exemplified by the plays what Ernie Wise wrote, as Britain's answer to Sir Les Patterson.
To admit to knowing Aussie slang would destroy my image, although I do have a book full of it. grin
I can give you some on the QT. if you so wish, but you should be able to use your family connections. wink
OoRoo

OldMeg Mon 20-Aug-18 22:38:19

Hey Baggs how’s your grip! ?

Spangles1963 Mon 20-Aug-18 18:55:38

This annoys me too! I have this image in my head of them popping round behind the counter to 'get' it themselves!

PECS Mon 20-Aug-18 18:33:43

USA citizens are no different to UK citizens or any other citizens in the world. Some are an absolute delight and others nightmares!

willa45 Mon 20-Aug-18 18:23:11

Rhinestone,

If by now, you haven't detected some of my (vaguely familiar) speech patterns, I'm an American too.

Whether some of us like it or not, languages are constantly evolving. All one has to do is listen to old WWII newsreels to appreciate how much speech patterns, intonation and phrasing have changed in the last seventy years. A lot of 'cross contamination' has also occured to varying degrees between languages (not just English).

Although It's hard not to be saddened by negative comments against the US and Americans, I refuse to let these 'very rude and hostile' posts color my perception. Most of the posts I read on Gransnet are helpful, extremely thoughtful, very insightful, often witty and always kind.

Jalima1108 Mon 20-Aug-18 17:55:36

I must ask DD what she teaches her students in the way of colloquialisms.
Re the 'slang' - I asked her today. Yes, not generally but they did have a 'slang' session last week. Words such as 'servo', 'arvo', 'sanger', 'doco' are essential - Rufus will understand wink

Elrel Mon 20-Aug-18 17:46:34

There was a Radio4 discussion recently about 'please' and 'thank you'. It seems that we, the British, are known for overusing them. Opinions in other countries apparently vary from finding our over politeness hilarious to actually considering it rude.
Interesting to know the experience of GNs living in other countries.

pixie601 Mon 20-Aug-18 17:13:30

Baggs,do you spend all day gripping at others - just asking!

Rhinestone Mon 20-Aug-18 13:25:50

As an American I’m shocked about all the dislike some of you have for us based on a few sentences. I never realized how prejudiced some on Gransnet are towards us. We’re all people for heavens sake... some quirky some not.

Rufus2 Mon 20-Aug-18 11:32:42

Youse GNetters should be counting your blessings to be able to get somebody to engage with your banter! I have this affliction of becoming invisible whenever I enter a shop or restaurant. At the 1st. hurdle; "please wait here to be seated", where "wait" should be in capitals; unless there are some leaflets to wave for attention, it takes for ever to get to the food stage.
Waiters go scurrying past my table, and it takes several strident calls of "Excuse me" before they realise someone is there. And so on and so forth! sad
Some shops are no better. They used to have little bells on the counter which you were invited to ring for attention, but they appear to be out of favour nowadays, probably too many Master/ Servant connotations and noise abatement regs.
So! Enjoy your banter whilst you've still got someone's ear to bend! grin

sluttygran Mon 20-Aug-18 11:27:56

I’ve just seen a lovely one in my local bank.
They had raised over £5000 for cancer research, and had received a letter of appreciation from an august personage titled the ‘Thanking co-ordinator’!
Not sure where that strange expression came from, but it sounds so cold and really rather unthankful.
Oh, I do enjoy being a pedant. A good moan is very gratifying, and cheering! grin

sodapop Mon 20-Aug-18 09:30:21

My husband talks in double negatives all the time FarNorth it drives me mad. Not sure if its NFN
( normal for Norfolk)
Why do people complain about pedantry on Pedants corner?
it's a mystery.

pollyperkins Mon 20-Aug-18 09:21:11

Also it seems to be a trend to use 'ing' as in 'I'm loving that photo' instead of 'I love it'.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 09:02:13

Oh I've got another one!!! " a thing" as in......I didn't know serving sliced melon in a drink was a thing.

Chewbacca Mon 20-Aug-18 08:26:36

Just listening to the Minister for prisons, Rory Stewart, speaking on Radio 4. Every single sentence began with "So.......". Why???? It's so annoying!