Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Wandering apostrophe, help needed!

(15 Posts)
Bathsheba Tue 15-Jan-19 18:29:34

Well done Maybelle that is so beautiful, and special as it's so very personal. Congratulations on your little grandson's arrival ?

Jalima1108 Tue 15-Jan-19 17:56:56

That's lovely Maybelle

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 17:40:53

What a fabulous work of art. Something unique only to the baby. It beats all your Mothercare brands. Congratulations too.

Squiffy Tue 15-Jan-19 17:26:55

It’s beautiful Maybelle! Congratulations on the baby’s arrival ??

Maybelle Tue 15-Jan-19 17:10:50

Sorry for the delay baby arrived safely and quilt now completed, random use of colours.

Alexa Fri 11-Jan-19 22:37:42

A cuddle from Grandpop's old shirts would be nice

JudyJudy12 Thu 13-Sep-18 16:24:40

What a lovely idea. A friend of mine made a quilt starting with mums maternity wear, luckily pretty summer cottons, as a cot quilt then added babies clothes until it was a toddler bed size and so on with the childs` clothes. The child is now an adult and the quilt now a king size and much loved with lots of memories.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 13-Sep-18 15:25:54

Sorry,Elegran, but all of Pendant's corner will notice the absence of an apostrophe that has been left out,anywhere where there should have been one.

But certainly, OP does not need one at all in her quilt.

wildswan16 Wed 12-Sep-18 18:04:42

That's a lovely gift. Can we get to see the finished quilt when done !

Elegran Wed 12-Sep-18 17:29:30

Grandpops is his whole name and nothing more, so no apostrophe. The cuddle comes from him, Grandpops. If his name was just Grandpop (with no S) then adding an S would mean that there are more than one of him. Heaven forbid, I imagine you thinking.

An apostrophe used to be a way of indicating that something had been shortened by leaving out a few letters. That was way back when the full way of showing possession would have been something rather like "fatheris chair" (shortened to father's chair, which is how we still write it)

Writing "Grandpop's chair" with the apostrophe after the name but before the S would mean the chair belongs to the Grandpop who didn't have an S in his name. For your Grandpops it should really have to be "Grandpops's chair" which sounds daft, so it gets written "Grandpops' chair" with the apostrophe at the end of his name, but the added S left off.

Hope that makes sense.

Or you could just forget apostrophes altogether - they are very small, no-one would miss one.

Maybelle Wed 12-Sep-18 17:03:09

Thanks for responses, will happily leave the apostrophe out !
I have made a few memory cushions recently for people, using their dad's shirts, and thought this would be another good use of such great fabric.
DH is still very much with us I am pleased to say.

sodapop Wed 12-Sep-18 13:16:31

That is such a lovely thought Maybelle no apostrophe needed.

Riverwalk Wed 12-Sep-18 12:57:04

No, not unless you want to add ….. 'wife' after Grandpops! grin

What a fantastic use of old shirts smile

MawBroon Wed 12-Sep-18 12:35:25

No is the simple answer! (So one less thing to embroider on it grin
What a lovely idea.

Maybelle Wed 12-Sep-18 12:30:47

can someone help? I am.making a cot quilt for my grandson who will make his arrival at Christmas.
I have made it from my DH old shirts, many colours and patterns, no quiet plain shirts worn here!
I always name quilts, and this one is going to be " a cuddle from Grandpops".
Query is do I need an apostrophe anywhere on or about the word Grandpops?