Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

In 'hail' health.

(10 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 15-Oct-18 13:50:47

My pet peeve is "nothing loath" as I was taught the expression was "nothing loth".

I simply love your bridal path, Jalima.

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 10:05:59

I was checking out a pub which we may visit and find that they:
have a bridal path running right next to us, we also welcome any horse riders that pass through.

It conjured up visions of brides in beautiful dresses and grooms in morning dress trotting by our window on their trusty steeds …….

annodomini Sun 14-Oct-18 12:59:55

All too frequently, 'advise' and 'advice' are confused. 'Can anyone advice me?' or 'I would like some advise.' At least these are pronounced differently unlike 'practise' and 'practice'. I think American spelling has settled on 'practise'.

MawBroon Sun 14-Oct-18 12:39:45

The witness might indeed have been “weary”??

stree Sun 14-Oct-18 12:24:02

I wince when I see ( usually in daily papers) that the "breaks" of a car failed.
Not only that, they "Defiantly" failed.
Said a witness who was "weary" about giving further details.

sodapop Sat 13-Oct-18 14:53:19

I don't think copy readers are used much any more MiniMoon judging by the number of mistakes I find in books. People can't differentiate between 'diffuse' and 'defuse'.
'Reign' and 'rain' are also confused. There are more, I have been known to throw a book across the room because of this type of error being found multiple times.

MiniMoon Sat 13-Oct-18 14:33:34

The dictionary definition of hale is healthy , therefore in hale health, seems tautologous.
I agree though, that any good copy reader should have picked up the miss-spelling.

mcem Sat 13-Oct-18 12:51:26

Well autocorrect didn't spot my aut*u*correct!

mcem Sat 13-Oct-18 12:50:25

I wonder if they rely entirely on autucorrect.
This would explain why I 've read incorrect use of bail/bale and here, here instead of hear, hear.

Witzend Sat 13-Oct-18 12:37:45

I read this yesterday in a newly published novel. I know people don't often say the likes of 'hale and hearty' nowadays, but I'd have expected the sub or copy editor of a major publishing house - they typically need a degree in English (or used to) to have picked this up.