Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Signs I’m becoming an old woman #3764

(20 Posts)
Daddima Fri 26-Oct-18 17:02:05

I find myself becoming annoyed at people wrongly quoting sayings, like, “ the proof is in the pudding”, or, “ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned”.
On forums ( or should it be fora?) like this, I am beginning to get annoyed when people post replies which are not in answer to the original question.

( I know, I know, feel free to add ‘ get a life’ type replies)

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 18:02:20

I think we all have weak points, where something just gets our goat.

I have great difficulty when people start new threads with a a page of print, without paragraphs, capital letters and minimal punctuation. I do not expect perfection, I always note my typos and repetitions after I have posted, but faced with this type of post, I usually wait until there are some well presented thoughtful replies on the thread, before I make any contribution, so that I can avoid doing more than skim the original post.

I am not sure whether the OPs do this deliberately as a way of expressing their emotion, but it irritates me beyond measure and unduly.

lemongrove Fri 26-Oct-18 19:26:48

grin oh dear.....yes, it must be an age thing, be careful not to turn into Victoria Meldrew.

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 19:41:51

Lemon, I think there is an actual poster on here named, Victoria Meldrew?.

MawBroon Fri 26-Oct-18 19:44:50

I take the point about that dreadful pudding misquote but the other is not so far out is it?
From The Mourning Bride, by William Congreve, which reads in full "Heav'n has no rage like love to hatred turn'd / Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorned"

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 19:49:37

Language is evolving all the time and as the original "pudding" proverb apparently dates back to the 14th century, it's not surprising it has changed.

lemongrove Fri 26-Oct-18 19:50:22

Is there marydoll ? Hope she won’t be offended then.Haha.

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 19:54:18

Too late! grin.

wildswan16 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:57:54

Obviously, some of us notice when words are not "used correctly", or text is not punctuated as we might do it ourselves.

But I would hate to think that someone was afraid to ask for help or advice, or just pass the time of day with us, because English grammar isn't their best subject.

So I am happy to read all contributions even if some of them are a bit of a struggle.

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 20:14:08

*Marydoll has the eating of puddings changed since the 14th century? Surely the proof that it is any good is still in the eating.

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 20:17:16

The original proverb was something like this.

Jt is ywrite that euery thing Hymself sheweth in the tastyng"

Well so that fountain of all knowledge, Mr Google, says. grin

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 20:48:43

Everything I read cast doubts on the 14th century origin. See
www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/proof-of-the-pudding.html.

However in modern circumstances, the proof of the pudding is in the eating makes sense. the proof is in the pudding doesn't, unless it is a detective story and I believe in one of Agatha Christie's Poirot stories the proof of the crime does lie in the pudding, but I think that is exceptional.

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 21:46:57

I do enjoy the threads on Pedants Corner ?.

lemongrove Fri 26-Oct-18 22:06:09

Yes, although I hope no pedants were harmed in the making of this thread.smile

lemongrove Fri 26-Oct-18 22:08:51

When at junior school, the Christmas pudding had some sixpences in it ( they didn’t worry about little ones choking in those days) and one time I found a rolled up bus ticket in it.... charming!

MawBroon Fri 26-Oct-18 22:22:28

Just for you/us pedants!

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 22:35:04

Thanks*Maw*. ?

absent Sat 27-Oct-18 06:24:19

MOnica I was a stollen ruby.

sodapop Sat 27-Oct-18 09:02:21

That's funny Maw. It's interesting to note MOnica that the pudding in question originally was a savoury dish like sausage or haggis. I learn new things every day on GN.

PECS Sat 27-Oct-18 09:30:13

And I thought it was about " proving" ! As in the provibg of the pudding will be in tbe tasting! You live & learn!