Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

incorrect use of words

(98 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Jan-19 07:28:12

Pedants Corner is just the right place for me because I get so cross when in almost every book I read, some by leading authors, I hear words used incorrectly.

Prodigal does NOT mean 'returning' but profligate, spendthrift, throwing your money about like a man with no arms. (and how does that work btw?) smile

Brackish water is a mixture of salt and fresh, as in an estuary for instance, but is so often used as if it means dirty.

And so many more.
I know language changes and there are many words we use now which have reversed their meaning, 'sophisticated' for instance, but ti still make me wild.
Anyone else got a pet peeve word?

Septimia Mon 27-May-19 18:23:34

I agree with most of the above comments. Proofreading for publication certainly makes you more conscious of misuses.
My main hates include the muddling of "affect" and "effect" and the wrong use of "decimate". So often the latter is used to describe, for example, multiple casualties as in "his herd of cows was decimated by disease" when it means that every tenth animal died - hence the "deci" prefix.

BBbevan Mon 27-May-19 18:10:52

My next door neighbour has just had some tantalised wood delivered

Floradora9 Sun 26-May-19 18:16:06

I read a piece about Frederick Forsyth in the Times to-day he said he borrowed money off his parents . I hate people saying that it is from his parents . Same as people saying waiting on instead of waiting for .

absent Sun 26-May-19 05:54:56

By the way, I understand that it is generally regarded as rather rude to correct mis-spellings, misuse of grammar and confusion about the meaning of words by other posters on social media. I would certainly not do so. I think that the only time such an approach is acceptable is if the meaning of the post is obscure and you are seeking clarification and, even then, it is necessary to be courteous.

absent Sun 26-May-19 05:49:51

A proclivity to pedantry and a long professional life of writing, editing and proof-reading, following an English degree, has tended to make me hyper-conscious of misuse of language. However, I can tolerate it when I am happily relaxing with a bedtime story as long as the intentional meaning is clear.

Recently I was reading what is known in my family as "absent's nice murder story" where the victim was described as "prone, his glazed eyes staring up at the ceiling". I immediately assumed the murderer had used the commando/SAS technique of breaking the neck by sharply twisting the head. Aha – a clue! It eventually proved to be not so – in other words, prone, which means lying face downwards, had been used to mean simply lying flat and the victim was, in fact, on his back.

Very frustrating as I like to detect whodunnit before I reach the last pages of the book. I won't bother with that author again.

BradfordLass72 Sun 26-May-19 02:00:38

Oh, and another thing, while I'm on my high horse...

Those phrases which say I♥ NY or I ♥ my dog, are fine a great marketing idea a but the heart-shaped symbol stands for the word 'love'.

It does not stand for the word 'heart'.

Therefore the many instances of bumper stickers which read, 'I heart my kids' and 'I heart dogs' is utterly stupid, in my opinion.

In Auckland, we even have a station called "I heart radio" !

Has no one grasped what pictograms are for? Does "I heart dogs" actually make sense? No.

I'll get me coat.....

GrannyGear Wed 22-May-19 22:06:50

"weary" means tired
"wary" means cautious
"leery" means knowing or sly

BradfordLass72 Wed 22-May-19 09:55:18

Adults who say 'bikkies' and 'drinkies' when talking to other adults.

'Why not come for drinkies and bikkies at about 7 o' clock ?'

Ye gods !

toscalily Wed 22-May-19 09:48:08

MawBroonsback I have not seen that before, had me spluttering into my cup of coffee. smile

I cringe every time someone says to me "see you later" when we both know that is not happening and even worse when said on the telephone, I'm always tempted to say "no you won't"

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 09:14:34

Brought, incorrectly used instead of bought eg: I brought a new dress yesterday.
MailOnline takes first prize for employing illiterate journalists.
Numerous, glaring errors on a daily basis.
I also agree with all the irritations mentioned above.

varian Mon 20-May-19 11:40:18

Using "infer" instead of "imply".

I might say something in a way which implies something I don't want to spell out, but just hint at. You might listen and infer what I meant.

Elegran Mon 20-May-19 10:54:00

I've noticed that the meaning of "lying" has changed recently from what I would interpret - that lies deliberately misrepresent a fact, for the speaker's benefit, to avoid blame for something, or to make someone believe something that you know isn't true. Saying something untrue mistakenly is not lying, neither is using a euphemism or softening a statement that would hurt the hearer.

The latest I saw is a Facebook post, headed "Your music teacher has been lying to you... " which has a list of "Things they say" with translations, for instance, "What they say = “Ooh, that’s a fancy phone”. What they actually mean = “If you spent as much time on your instrument as you did on that damn phone, you’d be a much better player” "

Now I wouldn't call that lying , I'd call it a guilty conscience in the hearer if they think that was was said was not what was meant. Most of the other examples of "lying" in that post were of the teacher being tactful in their criticism instead of verbally smashing the pupil into a bloody pulp. That is not telling lies.

BBbevan Fri 17-May-19 17:35:45

Off of is my pet hate. No need for the of .

Bellasnana Fri 17-May-19 14:44:23

It seems to have become acceptable to say ‘sickth’ instead of ‘sixth’, and ‘she was sat’ instead of ‘she was sitting’.

It irks me a bit, but language evolves over time and there’s not much we can do about it.

fizzers Fri 17-May-19 14:44:16

would of... could of.... should of.... makes me want to scream

sodapop Fri 17-May-19 14:04:40

Brilliant Maw I haven't seen it before. Love the post dramatic stress and feeble position.
grin

EMMF1948 Fri 17-May-19 13:50:18

Starting every sentence with 'So' gets on m nerves.

Incorect us of me and I, some seem to serioulsy think that using I is 'posher'.
I once heard the late head of Ofsted on Radio 4 start a sentence 'Me and John told the Government...............' and he was head of criticising others.

Bathsheba Fri 17-May-19 13:41:53

Maw yes I believe you have posted this before, but it is definitely worth a second airing! Hilarious - and very clever grin

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 13:21:40

Have I posted this before? Worth a second airing even so.
Read carefully! gringrin

Framilode Fri 17-May-19 11:34:01

A bit pedantic but when ordering another drink in the pub 'The same again'. You can't have the same again you can have similar, as was pointed out to me by a barman.

CazzaJane42 Fri 17-May-19 11:25:42

So... (only joking) ! What annoys me is when the word 'decade' (a period of 10 years) is pronounced 'decayed'.

Eskay10 Fri 17-May-19 11:17:22

The use of 'amount of' instead of 'number of'. This mistake is used constantly on the news, interviews, newspapers. I wonder if their proper use is taught in schools any more.

Ngaio1 Thu 07-Feb-19 16:12:16

I, personally!? Tautology. Invite and not Invitation. "Haitch"

EllanVannin Thu 07-Feb-19 15:38:06

Woman and Women. I see it often in the Daily Mail,eg. "she was a stunning looking women ?"!

I can say without fear of contraception that I rarely get things wrong-----hee hee hee. Ooops, that's a malaprop isn't it ?

mcem Thu 07-Feb-19 15:15:35

The clue is the the title of the thread!
Not interested? Don't read it!