Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

How do YOU say it?

(145 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 14-Feb-19 08:17:00

It doesn’t bother me when people say “chimbley” or “skellington” (it can sound sweet from a child) but when 4 year old DGD said “marshmellow” the other day, it really grated.
I have noticed it in England and cannot for the life of me understand why some people pronounce it this way.
We say “fallow, shallow, mallow” so why on Earth should the vowel change?
In DGD’s case I suspect this is down to the nanny as I did not teach our DDs to say that.
Ducks behind sofa

JackyB Sat 23-Feb-19 09:48:40

Well, the majority have definitely gone for Marshmallow with an 'a' sound. I still can't say I've ever heard it pronounced that way. Must live a sheltered life.

Gettingitrightoneday Mon 18-Feb-19 07:51:47

This depends on where you live and your accent,
I would go with marshmallow.
As I have lived in the area of the potteries for about 30 yrs now, I have picked up several local pronounciations and what would be incorrect grammar without realising if you hear people saying them enough.

I have also caught the accents of say a welsh person who I have been with for some time.
To say Go FOR rather than TO is one I find myself saying.
It can seem I am taking the micky.

BradfordLass72 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:08:58

phoenix I hope you know that's an Australian in the spoof YouTube clip? All his other words are Aussie.

It's a pity they didn't use a proper Kiwi actor for that, it would have been funnier because we actually do pronounce 'deck' that way.

And heaven help your self-esteem if you're called Peggy.

But as marshamallows come from the mallow plant, there's no dispute - other than how people say it.

FarNorth Sun 17-Feb-19 19:36:10

'mawve' yes and?

Nico97 Sun 17-Feb-19 19:03:44

Even worse in our house - Marshmella grin grin

anxiousgran Sun 17-Feb-19 18:56:41

I say mellow. Also say ‘mawve’ ( the colour), drives my sister mad ?, says I’m the only person in the world that doesn’t say ‘mowve’.
Also said ’tossled’ instead of ‘tousled’, until I learned better recently.
I think it comes from reading to myself as a child, old habits die hard.
Sister still loves me though.

pollyolly Sun 17-Feb-19 14:35:20

Grevious instead of grievous .

Menopauselbitch Sat 16-Feb-19 21:11:00

Surely Mellow means laid back. And Mallow is a flower that is edible and will take on the flavour of anything. So I conclude it’s Marshmallow, predictive txt seems to agree with me.

FarNorth Sat 16-Feb-19 18:01:35

6 pages about marshmallows?! I confess I only looked at the first & last pages so maybe there's been some diversion in the middle?
It's definitely mAllow anyway, so that's that.

kittylester Sat 16-Feb-19 17:27:06

Conni, that's the beauty of GN!!

jacq10 Sat 16-Feb-19 16:46:40

Connie - there are always packets of marshmallows in my kitchen cupboard - mini ones for floating on hot chocolate in the winter and large ones to toast on a dying barbeque in the summer. I live in an area in Scotland where back in the 50s/60s we were known as "speaking the best Queen's English in the country" but I don't think that holds true now.

Conni7 Sat 16-Feb-19 16:00:58

I'm intrigued that people talk so much about marshmallows. I don't think I've heard them mentioned for months.

Blencathra Sat 16-Feb-19 06:53:41

Since people probably don’t see where this is shared there are 16 replies on Facebook and they seem in favour of marshmallow. Only one on Twitter and they think marshmellow. I would a,ways say marshmallow.

4allweknow Fri 15-Feb-19 22:24:36

Marshmallow for me. Posh would emphasis the 'low' sound, not change the mallow to mellow. Try it!

Nannapat1 Fri 15-Feb-19 20:37:34

Why on earth would you say 'mellow'when the word is spelt 'mallow' ???

Juggernaut Fri 15-Feb-19 19:29:05

It's Marshmallow!

grannysue05
Of course you have an accent, we all have accents!
I'm Cheshire born and bred, and have an accent, obviously northern, and quite obviously Cestrian! I also speak quickly, as do most north westerners.
Cheshire has many accents, there are no similarities at all between the accents of Neston, Nantwich, Lymm, Northwich and Macclesfield, which are all in Cheshire!
The exception to the rule, of course, is the 'accent' of the ladies of the 'Cheshire Set' who have no discernable accent owing to them sounding as though they have a mouthful of marbles!

phoenix Fri 15-Feb-19 18:42:58

Thank you to those that posted 're my "farmer" sentence! I've always felt that it is quite a good example of the vagaries (sp?) of the English language!

farview Fri 15-Feb-19 18:27:05

ps actually find marshmellow easier to say than marshmallow..

farview Fri 15-Feb-19 18:26:08

Up North also...marshmellow here ..but do say mallow re the plant....

Nanny27 Fri 15-Feb-19 17:31:28

The farmer drove his ploff throff the troff. Sounds good to me ?

1inamillion Fri 15-Feb-19 17:16:58

I love that sentence Phoenix ???

Carolpaint Fri 15-Feb-19 17:15:15

Would the poster old Goat explain, as have not a clue what point is being made. Please!

1inamillion Fri 15-Feb-19 17:15:11

I've always said marshmallow.
May I add a contribution too - is it mischievous with the emphasis on the "chi" or
mischievous on "mis" ? ?

PECS Fri 15-Feb-19 17:06:35

The young queen might have said marshmellow!

phoenix Fri 15-Feb-19 16:52:33

I'm sure I typed "drove" blush