Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Am I the only one...

(18 Posts)
Daddima Tue 16-Apr-19 14:33:13

... who wonders why ‘ retirees’ is used instead of ‘ retirers’ in another thread title?

( Okay, I know, get a life, get over it, etc,etc)

Namsnanny Tue 16-Apr-19 14:35:15

Sounds younger?????

Anja Tue 16-Apr-19 15:29:07

Sounds better linguistically

Anja Tue 16-Apr-19 15:31:00

retiree

English
Noun
(en noun)
someone who has retired from active working
He has been a retiree since 2001.

Nonnie Tue 16-Apr-19 16:23:47

I'm a devotee of retirees grin

Callistemon Tue 16-Apr-19 16:52:07

Is retirer a word?

Apart from in French?

sodapop Tue 16-Apr-19 17:30:07

Not sure I've ever heard retirer used in this context. Retiree does sound better I agree Anja

Farmor15 Tue 16-Apr-19 20:31:43

I don’t think retirer is a word - retiree is commonly used. Some might say a retired person instead. I’m trying to think of examples of similar words but the only one that comes to mind is addressee.

BradfordLass72 Wed 17-Apr-19 00:31:08

A retirer sounds as if this is a frequent action rather than a state of being.

'Old Bob's a retirer whenever there's any hard work to do.' grin

Elrel Wed 17-Apr-19 01:03:34

Since the word ‘pensioner’ for older people fell out of use both ‘senior’ and ‘retiree’ have appeared more often.

JackyB Wed 17-Apr-19 05:33:55

Now Daddima mentions it, it does seem odd. Why for example did we not used to say "pensionees"?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Apr-19 09:41:15

I am always annoyed by 'attendees'. Surely it should be 'attenders'. If these are words which are, or look as if they are, derived from French, then the 'ee' bit suggests something which is done to the people involved (as in divorcé(e)). In English, the ending for someone who does something is 'er'. In which case, I suppose, 'pensionee' would be right, but 'retiree' would be doubtful unless one had been forced to retire against one's will.

Hmm. Perhaps pedantry can be taken a bit too far...

But I still think I'm right about 'attendees'!

80sMumIsaGranny Wed 17-Apr-19 09:46:49

It's because "retiree" is the correct term to use! There's no such word as "retirer".

Miep1 Wed 17-Apr-19 11:36:09

Slightly off topic, but the word that never fails to make me shudder is 'standees' as in 66 seats on bus, 5 standees!

Bathsheba Wed 17-Apr-19 12:54:13

If someone grants me a mortgage, they are the mortgagor and I am the mortgagee. If someone gives me employment they are the employer and I am the employee.

So maybe, in much the same way, when I reach pensionable age, my employer can 'retire' me, so I'm then a 'retiree'. But hang on, does that, then, make my employer the 'retirer'? hmmgrin

MamaCaz Wed 17-Apr-19 13:05:26

JackyB

Now Daddima mentions it, it does seem odd. Why for example did we not used to say "pensionees"?

Maybe because not all 'retirees' are of state pension age (with which I associate the word 'pensioner'? Then add in the fact that, as yet, no one has seen fit to invent the word 'pensionee' grin

Wheniwasyourage Fri 19-Apr-19 11:49:55

I was just thinking that 'pensionee' would be the right word! Am I a retiree even though I wasn't really ready to retire but the job changed so I wasn't happy to carry on?

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 16:28:41

There is employee, therefore retiree is about right.