Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Annoying autocorrect

(16 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Jul-19 15:21:54

There we go, I swear I wrote "grammar"!

www.freemake.com/blog/12-funny-autocorrect-mistakes/

Most of the autocorrects do seem to have naughty minds!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:26:16

Yes, you do need to be very good at spelling and grimmer to survive using autocorrect.

I have the additional problem that do what I will my default setting is American English! So I spend have my time altering it to British English.

SueH49 Sun 02-Jun-19 00:16:20

Sodapop and MamaCaz, apologies if I sounded superior in my comment it was not intended to be so.
I do appreciate that many do not know how turn things on/off and I am no tech wizard either. However, by playing around I can often solve an issue. I do think many older people are a little afraid to play around with settings just in case we muck up. Many of us know enough to "get around" but not enough to fix things. When all else fails google usually comes up with an answer.

MamaCaz Sun 26-May-19 19:42:36

Ah - it might be auto replace. I've switched that off now for English, so I will see what happens!

MamaCaz Sun 26-May-19 19:38:16

Actually, I made a mistake and what I just said is not true - it says predictive text is on, not autocorrect. I have looked again and can't find autocorrect.

MamaCaz Sun 26-May-19 19:33:04

Exactly, sodapop.

I've just tried again to find a way of turning off autocorrect on my tablet, but can't. I went into settings, then keyboard, and it tells me that autocorrect is 'on' but, unlike some of the functions, there is no on/off check-box next to it.
There must be a way, but I can't find it!

I will ask my personal IT consultant (DS2) next time I see him ☺

Witzend Sun 26-May-19 13:17:38

Among other things, it often changes my correct 'its' to 'it's'
And 'were' to 'we're'.
You have to watch it like a hawk - or rather a gimlet-eyed, old-school English teacher.

sodapop Sun 26-May-19 13:11:26

Because we don't know how to SueH grin

SueH49 Sun 26-May-19 02:49:20

I turn my auto correct off on all of my devices.
I often see or hear of people complaining about it and wonder why they do not turn it off.

BradfordLass72 Sun 26-May-19 02:17:35

The last time I encountered auto-correct it was my Math's teacher. grin

MamaCaz Sat 25-May-19 17:24:51

Perfectly clear, NanKate

The other thing about autocorrect that annoys me is that it frequently fails to correct obvious spelling mistakes or typos, even when the intended word is obvious!
I want the impossible, it seems. I will just have to make a bigger effort to correct both my own and its mistakes before posting (I accidently typed pisting instead of posting, but it ignored that!) ?

NanKate Sat 25-May-19 17:14:15

I have found if I want to include a word predictive might try and correct, if I type the last letter twice then delete it it will let me have my original spelling.

You will need to try it to see what I mean.

Hubbiee (the spelling I want Hubbie then take off the last letter) instead of hubby, it won’t try and change it.

Is this as clear as mud ?

phoenix Sat 25-May-19 17:11:47

BTW, there is a site dedicated to these, some of which are very funny!

Called something like "Damn you autocorrect"

phoenix Sat 25-May-19 17:09:52

One aspect of auto correct is putting an apostrophe where one isn't needed.

I think this may have happened in the "I wish I loved the human race" etc thread, where a poster pointed out (unnecessarily, in my opinion, but hey ho) that the word in the quote should have been "its" but it appeared as "it's"

ninathenana Sat 25-May-19 16:56:29

I hate predictive and auto correct that's why I've deactivated them.

MamaCaz Sat 25-May-19 16:51:47

Is it just me who gets very frustrated with autocorrect when it insists on making 'corrections' that IMO are wrong, such as replacing my initial lower case letter with a capital almost every time I refer to one of the seasons, Autumn in place of autumn, for example?

Just in that one sentence above, in addition to changing the word autumn, autocorrect added an unwanted apostrophe in the word seasons and changed autocorrect into two separate words.

I know my grammar and spelling are not perfect, but I think that my posts would contain a lot more errors than they do now if I put my trust in this function!