Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Settled status

(2 Posts)
Greta Sun 21-Jul-19 11:20:22

I have lived happily in this country for many years but now I feel like a second-class citizen.
Background:
I was born in Sweden and arrived in the UK in 1971; I had a job, supported myself and payed tax and NI. I have lived here ever since. I married a Brit in 1975.

When it was decided that all secondary school children should study foreign languages it became clear that there was a snag: we did not have enough 'home-grown' teachers who could deliver this language teaching. I thought I could make a contribution since I had a degree in German. I was offered a teaching post in a local secondary school where I taught for many years until I retired.

In 1975 I had a letter from the Home Office: ”You are free now to remain permanently in the United Kingdom”.

During the referendum Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Priti Patel made the following pledge on behalf of the Leave campaign: ”There will be no change for EU citizens already lawfully in residence in the UK. These EU citizens will automatically be granted indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom”.

So why do I now have to apply for the right to remain in the UK? Surely, as a democracy we keep our promises.

Greta Sun 21-Jul-19 11:24:04

No idea how this was posted in Pedants' corner. Please ignore.