Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

They are NOT "Invites"& quot; !

(66 Posts)
phoenix Mon 14-Oct-19 21:18:48

This has been annoying me for ages! An area manager for a company that I worked for (for a mercifully short time) would email about meetings saying "I will send the invites soon"

NO! You will send invitations, invite is something you do, not something you send!

I nearly had a fit of the vapours a few months back when I heard Elizabeth Pargeter (of all people) on The Archers saying that Lily had been wonderful sending out all the "invites" shock Nigel would be turning in his grave!

KarenDerna Sat 19-Oct-19 16:02:08

Haha really enjoying reading these, I totally agree. Annoyances for me are keep in contact with and a real bugbear is when I ask would you like a ... , answer is no I'm good thanks, sorry I didn't ask if you were good or bad !! English is such an interesting language

Lyndiloo Thu 17-Oct-19 16:36:19

Yes, yes, you are right. (annsixty & Esspee) Politely, it should be 'May I have ...' (But definitely NOT 'May I get ...') smile

Nanny27 Wed 16-Oct-19 10:24:19

See you later as a term for goodbye sounds a bit silly when I more than likely won't.

Hetty58 Wed 16-Oct-19 10:14:20

My neighbour says 'How are you?' then immediately carries on talking, leaving but a second to answer. I now reply 'Hi'!

BradfordLass72 Wed 16-Oct-19 09:30:35

It doesn't annoy me but I dislike 'insightful' so beloved of my American friends, when there is a perfectly good English word, 'perceptive'.

As for 'How are you?' being answered with 'Good' - I think we have to clarify the querstion.

Do you mean 'Am I alive?' It should be obvious.

Do you mean, 'How is my health?' My health is good, thank you.

So when you ask, 'How are you?' just what do you mean by "how"?

It implies a state of existence in some way or degree, to which 'good' is just one possible, and quite correct, answer.

'How do you do?' always meant 'How is your health?'

My mother never failed to reply, 'How do I do what?'

grin

Granless Tue 15-Oct-19 20:33:26

Oh dear! Hetty 58. Do you feel better now?
Yes, I too am a pedant to the point of stirring up trouble.
Now then ..... in we go to a shop or a bank and what is the greeting - “Are you alright there”. I take that as a question and ....you’ve guessed it...... I answer accordingly “Yes, I’m fine thank you” and wait; it usually works. grin

Nanny27 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:10:54

Why do some people read the thread in Pedants Corner and then moan about people being pedantic? Perhaps it's they who need to 'get a life'

Lilyflower Tue 15-Oct-19 19:33:31

I text him.

Arghhhh!

sodapop Tue 15-Oct-19 17:36:10

Don't come into Pedants Corner if it irritates you. Just leave us here to be pedantic.

Hetty58 Tue 15-Oct-19 17:31:56

It seems as if that IS all some people worry about. Do they consider how that makes them appear to others?

GrauntyHelen Tue 15-Oct-19 17:29:08

Oh for any favour - Children are dying in Syria , the UK is on the brink of Brexit and you are having a fit of the vapours over language use and the Archers ?! Get a life and worry about important things. I'm off to post some invites .

willa45 Tue 15-Oct-19 17:26:05

I'm guessing the reason some people prefer to say 'invites' is because the word rolls off the tongue more easily than 'invitations'.
I do agree that poor usage of the English language is unfortunate but having said that, just think what a blessing it would be if that's all we had to worry about.

Madmaggie Tue 15-Oct-19 17:17:43

I agree with you Phoenix

Esspee Tue 15-Oct-19 16:41:57

Oh dear Lyndiloo should it not be "May I.....

annsixty Tue 15-Oct-19 16:39:12

Actually “can I have “ is also wrong as the answer is yes and then to wait for an instruction.
“” surely “ may I have” is correct or is that something else I have misunderstood.

annep1 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:33:35

I don't mind invites as a noun. Electric as a noun really annoys me. And saying an accident is cleared. Surely you can't clear an abstract noun. Or am I wrong?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:17:06

To me it doesn't really matter whether the word invite used as a noun is in the dictionary or not. I find it annoying as I was brought up believing the invite is a verb and invitation the noun.

But what really annoys me is that the invites has become an expression one hears all the time and these catch phrases, buzz words or whatever you want to call them drive me mad whilst they are in fashion. Happily, one of two things happen, either they go out of fashion again, or I stop hearing them.

Elcie Tue 15-Oct-19 16:13:59

I agree that it is annoying to be given an ‘invite’, almost as much as hearing someone say, ‘I’m sat in a traffic jam’, / ‘I was sat next to.....’ There are lots of much more important things to get annoyed over, but there’s no harm in trying to preserve the correct use of our language if we are proud of it.

Lyndiloo Tue 15-Oct-19 16:05:57

My biggest hate at the moment is the ever-increasing use of 'Can I get ...' in restaurants or pubs, instead of 'Can I have ...'
Oooh - drives me mad!!!

Hetty58 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:04:07

Watch out for the grammar police! I taught literacy and was always checking the dictionary - having been taught in the 1950s!

janeainsworth Tue 15-Oct-19 15:56:18

Well, I have just posted ‘Sounds an interesting read’ on a friend’s Facebook post, in response to a book recommendation.

I suppose that will be condemned as well.
Shock! Horror!

Hetty58 Tue 15-Oct-19 15:50:12

Meaning of invite in English

invite
verb [ T ]
UK /ɪnˈvaɪt/ US /ɪnˈvaɪt/
invite verb [T] (ASK TO AN EVENT)

A1
to ask or request someone to go to an event:
We're invited to Lola's party.
Candidates who are successful in the written test will be invited for an interview.
[ + obj + to infinitive ] Her family invited me to stay with them for a few weeks.
More examples
They've invited 80 guests to the wedding.
They were flattered to be invited to dinner by the mayor.
They've invited us round for dinner on Saturday.
She invited a lot of people to the party but half of them didn't turn up.
All the mums and dads are invited to the school play at the end of the year.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
invite verb [T] (REQUEST FORMALLY)

C1
to request something, especially formally or politely:
Offers in the region of £1,000,000 are invited for the property.
[ + obj + to infinitive ] The newspaper invited readers to write in with their views.
invite verb [T] (ENCOURAGE)

C2
to act in a way that causes or encourages something to happen or someone to believe or feel something:
Behaving provocatively in class is just inviting trouble.
Such a badly presented exhibition invites criticism.

Phrasal verbs
invite sb ininvite sb over

invite
noun [ C ] informal
UK /ˈɪn.vaɪt/ US /ˈɪn.vaɪt/

an invitation:
I didn't get an invite to their wedding.
(Definition of invite from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press
Meaning of invite in English

invite
verb [ T ]
UK /ɪnˈvaɪt/ US /ɪnˈvaɪt/
invite verb [T] (ASK TO AN EVENT)

A1
to ask or request someone to go to an event:
We're invited to Lola's party.
Candidates who are successful in the written test will be invited for an interview.
[ + obj + to infinitive ] Her family invited me to stay with them for a few weeks.
More examples
They've invited 80 guests to the wedding.
They were flattered to be invited to dinner by the mayor.
They've invited us round for dinner on Saturday.
She invited a lot of people to the party but half of them didn't turn up.
All the mums and dads are invited to the school play at the end of the year.
invite verb [T] (REQUEST FORMALLY)

C1
to request something, especially formally or politely:
Offers in the region of £1,000,000 are invited for the property.
[ + obj + to infinitive ] The newspaper invited readers to write in with their views.
invite verb [T] (ENCOURAGE)

C2
to act in a way that causes or encourages something to happen or someone to believe or feel something:
Behaving provocatively in class is just inviting trouble.
Such a badly presented exhibition invites criticism.

Phrasal verbs
invite sb ininvite sb over

invite
noun [ C ] informal
UK /ˈɪn.vaɪt/ US /ˈɪn.vaɪt/

an invitation:
I didn't get an invite to their wedding.
(Definition of invite from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press

Hetty58 Tue 15-Oct-19 15:47:51

No, it's just progress, often along with the influence of American English (and textspeak) on our evolving language.

Of course, old fuddy-duddies will always assume that standards are falling and things are 'incorrect' (as in different from the way we were taught). Yes, it often grates on us.

Maybe we should check with the Cambridge dictionary before we declare things as wrong, pheonix?

Esspee Tue 15-Oct-19 15:23:51

There is a point in being a pedant. It is to do with maintaining purity in our language.
Imagine if everyone accepted the bastardisation we see everywhere these days. From the tacky invites to the DVD's, the definAtely, Chester draws, could of, drawering..........I could go on and on.
Personally I consider all these aberrations to be a sign of the plunging standards in our education system.
Don't you hun?

Nanny27 Tue 15-Oct-19 15:09:56

Is it just me who strongly objects to the term 'Brits'? Years ago I believe the term was coined by the IRA as in 'Brits Out'.