Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

I`m sure these have been mentioned before ...

(92 Posts)
suzette1613 Wed 16-Oct-19 07:42:56

When did `railway station` become `train station`?

I always thought `students` were in tertiary education, now all pupils seem to be known as students.

`Faith` schools? Just sounds wrong to me.

Septimia Wed 16-Oct-19 12:23:22

GrumpyGran - I know. It just sounds stupid to me. We never had any problem saying 'year group' when I was teaching.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-Oct-19 12:42:05

fluttERBY123.
A benefit more like if you don't know grin the difference between a bus and a train?

francisdelima Wed 16-Oct-19 12:44:52

So true. Gone are the feminine versions of nouns - so no more 'actress' or 'authoress'. I do not mind this either way. However, I am appalled by the incorrect use of words. 'Myself' is increasingly used as in "Myself and John went to the match" or "me and John" instead of "John and I". This is now accepted even in the hallowed ranks of Parliament and the BBC!!! Must young people use 'like' after every third word they utter or older folk employ "you know" or "know wha' ah mean?"? Then there is the: "I was sat there" or "stood there" instead of: "sitting there" and "standing there". Why do we not strive for excellence in all we do in this great country of ours including in striving to protect and preserve the beautiful language there is, above anyone else's, ours!? In TV interviews, Americans, for instance, come across as fluent and are easily understood. Can we say the same about ourselves?

cathieb Wed 16-Oct-19 12:56:12

I am enjoying this list! I generally go with the flow, but I realise that there are various new usages that quite annoy me and some that are irritatingly grammatically wrong. So it's good to share them here, have a little grumble and then just embrace and smile at (most of) the changes!

Lilyflower Wed 16-Oct-19 13:23:14

Yes, 'train station' sounds infantile.

KatyK Wed 16-Oct-19 13:24:34

Train station annoys me too. We are very old fashioned in this house. We go to the pictures to watch a film - not the cinema to see a movie.

BlueBelle Wed 16-Oct-19 13:30:45

I went to a Catholic school that was termed a faith school paddyann
I certainly would say train station and bus station we have both but when I was a kid we would say railway station
I definitely say vets
I hate baby shower and play dates yuk sicky yuk
But times move on so thou hath to expecteth differences

Newatthis Wed 16-Oct-19 13:31:43

My son-in-law, who is not from this country is always amused when we say 'we're have a Chinese tonight' (or Indian) of course meaning takeaway.

ElaineI Wed 16-Oct-19 13:38:03

There has been a bus station in Edinburgh since I was a child and am now 63! I should know as that is where we got on and off the Penicuik bus! It has changed a bit over the years but still there I think. I still say railway station but train station doesn't bother me.
I also go to the pictures KatyK but DGS1 looks at me as if I am mad! He has been a few times to the cinema!

KatyK Wed 16-Oct-19 13:41:59

Our daughter does too Elaine!

suzette1613 Wed 16-Oct-19 13:43:59

What about starting nearly every sentence with `So`...?
Drives me mad and it is heard everywhere, even by academics, and announcers on Radio Four, who I think should know better.

srn63 Wed 16-Oct-19 13:44:09

I hate the term "hack" to describe a change to something such as changing the use of something like furniture, cleaning product etc. Hate it.

Startingover61 Wed 16-Oct-19 13:52:05

I always use 'railway station'. These days in my area we have a 'bus station'; it used to be the 'bus depot'.
Can't stand the use of 'So' to begin a sentence, and 'also... as well' in the same sentence drives me mad!
I also wish that when referring to death, people would just say 'X has died' instead of 'X has passed'.

Chestnut Wed 16-Oct-19 14:01:39

I still say Chemist instead of Pharmacy.
I still say 'in two days' and not 'after two sleeps'.
I still say railway station.
I hate like, like, like every few words.
I hate sentences starting with 'So....'
I find the lifting of voice at the end of a sentence annoying (as if it's a question).
I could go on....

suzette1613 Wed 16-Oct-19 14:11:59

Yes Chestnut, I find the rising inflection at the end of a sentence really irritating. A few years ago I worked with someone who was much younger and who did this. I asked her when she had lived in Australia as I hadn`t heard it before.

Nannarose Wed 16-Oct-19 14:34:54

These are not, on the whole, right or wrong, they are just personal preferences. I am in my late 60s, middle England, and as a child, caught the train at our local 'train station'and the last bus from our nearest large town at the 'bus station'. I have no problem with people using the words 'railway' or 'depot' if they prefer.
Pharmacist is the professional qualification, which is obviously different from chemistry. So I think Pharmacy is more accurate (as my chemistry teacher used to point out) although of course, I know you don't mean you are popping into your High Street chemistry lab (or even laboratory)!
And 'faith' schools saves listing all the different faiths so is useful when talking generally.
As long as it's clear, then I like hearing the different way people express themselves - although recently had a laugh with a fellow committee member about a 'hiring' at the Village Hall, when she though I was talking about employing someone. I'd normally use the word 'letting' but the message had used the word 'hiring' so I repeated it!

gillyknits Wed 16-Oct-19 14:51:12

How about “to podium” if you win a medal at the Olympics?

4allweknow Wed 16-Oct-19 15:13:16

I have always regarded public schools other than in Scotland as private school eg Eton. If not a state school in Scotland then you went to private school eg Fettes. Never really hearf
"public" being used to refer to a state school in Scotland. Perhaps there is a local reference in that you use this.

Bathsheba Wed 16-Oct-19 15:18:20

'Cohort', besides being the name of a group of Roman soldiers, has the specific meaning of 'group with shared characteristics'. When applied to schoolchildren it's a shorter way of saying 'children in the same year group'.

But if the word 'cohort' is replacing 'year group', how is that shorter? Both terms have two syllables.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-Oct-19 15:40:12

I imagine that railway stations gradually became train stations as our generation who had called them that when children grew up and had our own wee ones. I don't mind what you call the place you go to get a train, but faith schools are another matter. That one gets my goat.

GillT57 Wed 16-Oct-19 15:51:50

it is the use of irrelevant points in a report which irritates me, when a 65 year old woman, for example, who has won the lottery/been mugged or whatever,she will be referred to as a 'granny', but the same does not apply to a man of the same age, he will never be referred to as grandfather. Likewise, everyone who has served in a conflict is referred to as 'hero', some are, some are not and it devalues the actions of those who are true heroes. Every actor/actress is 'former acme soap opera star' even if they had a bit part 15 years ago, it is petty, but it truly irritates the hell out of me

Hellsbelles Wed 16-Oct-19 15:52:18

When did being a customer become a ' service user ?'

Chestnut Wed 16-Oct-19 16:23:28

We've always used the term 'public school' for a private school in England which is a bit bonkers really. No-one else seems to do it, they all use the term 'public school' to mean a state school which makes more sense. Still, I guess we're stuck with that one.

suzette1613 Wed 16-Oct-19 16:30:54

The public school I attended changed its designation to independent school. Still the same school with the same governors etc.

luluaugust Wed 16-Oct-19 16:37:47

I thought train station was American.