Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Solstice v Equinox Different Quadrants!

(9 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 15-Dec-19 12:16:15

Whilst the regular pedants were nit-picking over in the "post-election" threads I got away in one of my posts saying "your Winter Equinox is approaching..."
So it's Rufus 1 Pedants 0 tchgrin

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 12:20:37

I missed it blush or I would have taken you to task! Tut tut

We're going to a Winter Solstice party, all being well.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 12:21:34

Ps enjoy your Summer Solstice

Rufus2 Mon 16-Dec-19 12:06:51

We're going to a Winter Solstice party, all being well
Didn't know there were such things, parties I mean! Checked with Dr.G and was horrified! Apparently, they involve all sorts of bestial goings on like chucking goat's blood over one another. Sounds more like what Welsh druids would have been doing in days of yore. shock Think I'd stay in and watch TV'
Our Summer solstice will be nothing like that of course, 40C promised for the 20th, so I won't be cavorting around the garden with snakes draped round my shoulders; more likely on the sunlounger in the shade of the "ole lemon tree", a Shiraz in one hand and a fly-swatter in the other!
Enjoy! and Good Luck.
OoRoo wine wine wine

Callistemon Mon 16-Dec-19 15:54:53

grin I don't think there's going to be anything like that although the hosts could be Welsh Druids, but they've never said!

Cheers, enjoy the summer, apparently 39C in Brisbane today wine

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 16:31:29

Got my costume, ticket and permits for the Henge this weekend. Hope it’s not too cold for naked frolicking.

Rufus2 Tue 17-Dec-19 07:38:15

not too cold for naked frolicking
Yehbut Go on be a Devil, Welsh or otherwise! Don't forget to post a picture. I could do with a good laugh; laughing at one's own jokes becomes a bit deja vu, but there aren't many others around, so please go for it! tchgrin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Tue 17-Dec-19 08:02:26

Cheers, enjoy the summer, apparently 39C in Brisbane today
Yes, and Son No1 (Head of our Brisbane branch!) also said last evening that overnight minimums are always in mid 20s. That could amount to sleep deprivation for many, unless you are rich enough to leave the A/C on all night!
The smoke in Sydney was thick enough to enter offices in the CBD setting off smoke detectors which requires immediate evacuation to the streets. Many were clutching face masks!
Our turn on Friday! 40+C.
At least this sudden burst of hot weather has brought out the cicadas. The noisiest insect on Earth! "Millions of them"!
Good Luck with the Druids! wine wine wine

Yehbutnobut Tue 17-Dec-19 12:53:10

Awful news about all the fires down under Ru !