Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Why do people applaud themselves?

(84 Posts)
Grammaretto Wed 18-Dec-19 17:27:42

I can't get used to watching contestants on game and quiz shows clapping if they get an answer right.
What's this about?
Isn't it rude to congratulate yourself?

Magrithea Sat 21-Dec-19 17:43:51

Someone else has probably said it but I think they're told to do it!!

Rufus2 Sat 21-Dec-19 10:46:15

I have no idea who your SK
Kalu; Don't know what you are talking about! tchconfused
I tried to Google SK, but put your name in by mistake! All I got was Samuel Kalu, skillful Nigerian footballer, plays for Bordeaux'; Any relation?

GrumpyGran8 Thu 19-Dec-19 19:36:26

You should have replied: "I am especially proud of not needing to continually tell others about my achievements"!

Sussexborn Thu 19-Dec-19 17:46:37

I apparently joined in with the choir during high mass singing Que Sera Sera at the top of my voice. I was 3 years old and whisked out of the church pretty smartly. Probably so my Mum could stifle her giggles.

Sadly she died at 58 from cirrhosis of the liver so good to remember happier times.

Nanny27 Thu 19-Dec-19 17:34:12

Has anyone been to a church wedding recently where, the congregation all applaud at the pronunciation? We were always taught never to clap in church. I suppose there's nothing wrong with it really but it feels odd to me.

notanan2 Thu 19-Dec-19 16:41:00

Re churches, the clappy stand and wave ones are THRIVING. The pious ones are struggling to get bums on seats.

Times change.
Silly rules become redundant.

Kalu Thu 19-Dec-19 14:38:03

Rufus, I will tell you !!

I have no idea who your SK is but my Father would have thought him an exhibitionist!

A well done, clap on the back from ‘team’ players just isn’t enough for the egotistical types you describe.

We shall agree to differ.

Grammaretto Thu 19-Dec-19 14:17:31

University Challenge and Mastermind are more subdued although I have noticed a few air punches even there.
Ah well, we are all different and that's a good thing.

I was also taught how to accept a compliment (smile politely and say thank you) and it certainly wasn't by cheering!

Cabbie21 Thu 19-Dec-19 13:55:13

I must say I don’t like the way Bargain Hunt contestants seem to be more exuberant, and silliness and OTT behaviour seems to be encouraged. I suppose it is thought to make better Television. What is wrong with taking something seriously?

And talking of church, as some were, there are many occasions in church where there is applause and celebration.
At my grandson’s carol service, there was a specific request not to applaud the musical items. Quite right too. But at the end the Vicar invited applause before he gave the final blessing. It was well deserved.

MamaCaz Thu 19-Dec-19 13:48:17

Me: I remember my dad telling me, when I was about six, that we shouldn't clap ourselves

Rufus2 MamaCaz What an odd thing to say to a 6 year old! hmm How would that come up in conversation? I've heard of prim and proper school teachers of which we seem to have a fair number here, but never prim and proper Dads.

My dad was certainly not prim and proper - if he were still with us, he would find that idea hilarious grin

Nevertheless, he saw part of a parent's role as that of passing on to us children the 'social rules' that he had been taught himself, and that were certainly still the norm in my area when I was a child in the early sixties, things like how to hold a knife and fork, not to put elbows on the table at mealtimes (a rule that I knowingly flout these days as it always seemed stupid to me), not to put feet on bus seats, not to make do much noise that it might impact on the people around me ... .
I could go on, but should point out that these pearls of wisdom were imparted over a long period of time, and mostly in the form of spontaneous observations, never as a lecture.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I don't actually remember how/why the comment (I am pretty sure it wasn't actually a 'conversation' as such) arose, but I think that all the other children at school must have been told the same thing, because I don't remember any of them ever clapping themselves!

Each to their own - people are free to do as they please regarding clapping, but people are free to think what they like about it too. smile

Rufus2 Thu 19-Dec-19 13:35:20

Kalu You're too kind! At least it grabbed your attention. tchsmile But you're missing the point.!
Now tell me! What would your hypothetical Dad say if his daughter playing football, scored a goal and ran along the touchline doing double somersaults like our Sam Kerr did recently, before disappearing beneath a pile of team mates doing high 5s, or would you expect her to cast her eyes to the turf and smile sheepishly?
It's now 12.30am here and we have a forecast 43C day ahead, so I'd best gird my loins and get some restful sleep.!
G'night and OoRoo

Quizzer Thu 19-Dec-19 13:29:54

I have been on several TV quiz shows over the years. You are encouraged to applaud everything! Sometimes it feels wrong but you go along with the directors instructions.

Tangerine Thu 19-Dec-19 13:12:57

Perhaps the people who are making the game shows ask the contestants to behave in an over the top way. They are making a programme and perhaps feel it wouldn't be too interesting for the audience if people were passive and quiet.

Buttonjugs Thu 19-Dec-19 12:55:43

My mother constantly belittled me as a child, for example I told her I wanted to be a pop singer when I grew up. She told me that I didn’t have the voice for it. Years later she confessed that she was trying to stop me being precocious because it wasn’t an attractive trait in girls, but she regretted it. A bit late because it destroyed my self esteem. I think people should be allowed to be proud.

Kalu Thu 19-Dec-19 12:32:38

Nothing odd at all with a father teaching his children good manners..

I will leave you to continue blowing your trumpet Rufus

Rufus2 Thu 19-Dec-19 12:19:31

dad telling me, when I was about six, that we shouldn't clap ourselves
MamaCaz What an odd thing to say to a 6 year old! hmm How would that come up in conversation? I've heard of prim and proper school teachers of which we seem to have a fair number here, but never prim and proper Dads.
Blowing your own trumpet is also very useful, especially when nobody is taking notice!
Otherwise go to church! grin
OoRoo

Chestnut Thu 19-Dec-19 12:15:12

It's not a bad thing when you've actually done something clever or achieved something as part of the show, feeling a sense of pride and wanting to express that. It's the celebrity guests who applaud themselves when their name is mentioned that annoy me (i.e. Graham Norton Show). They are just applauding their own fame!

Craftycat Thu 19-Dec-19 12:10:51

I thought I was the only pe
rson to get annoyed by this. So nice to know I am not alone!!

Grammaretto Thu 19-Dec-19 12:05:01

Because it makes half the population squirm FearlessSwiftie
The other thing I detest is canned laughter for unfunny, IMO, radio "comedians"
I am a bundle of fun aren't I. wink

Would I begrudge MamaCaz winning Millionaire and turning somersaults? No I can't wait. Have you applied?

FarNorth Thu 19-Dec-19 12:03:45

I expect contestants have a 'rabbit in headlights' feeling when they're on these shows, and can't remember what they were told to do when, so if they hear the audience clapping they join in.

grannygranby Thu 19-Dec-19 11:58:43

Oh no gramaretto and Mali! I thought it was because I was a cool now I realise it was because I went to Presbyterian Sunday school. I am so embarrassed for people when they blow their own trumpets

Grammaretto Thu 19-Dec-19 11:57:19

grin EllieB52
It was true. I was in the audience for that show once as an 11 yr old.

Margs Thu 19-Dec-19 11:43:35

And contestants on any "reality" programme referring to their experience, however horrendous or embarrassing, being "an awesome journey?"

Where would this 'journey' be going to then?

FearlessSwiftie Thu 19-Dec-19 11:23:38

What is so bad about it? If you are feeling happy and proud why not congratulate yourself?

Aepgirl Thu 19-Dec-19 11:23:33

This is something else that’s been ‘imported’ from USA. Let’s hope we don’t get the screaming, whooping, and jumping up and down like they do on American game shows.