Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

‘You Know’

(16 Posts)
Marmight Thu 11-Jun-20 10:49:28

No, I don’t know!
I’ve just been listening to an interview on Woman’s Hour with a journalist and every sentence she uttered contained at least 2 ‘you knows’. I tried to count how many ‘you knows’ in the whole interview but gave up! Am I the only one who shouts at the radio ‘No, I don’t bl***y know, that’s why you’re being interviewed’ ?
Perhaps isolation is getting to me and my patience is being tested?
Maybe not - I don’t know ?

Davida1968 Thu 11-Jun-20 10:51:43

I'm with you, Marmight!!

Chewbacca Thu 11-Jun-20 10:54:58

grin I know exactly what you mean Marmight! I have a colleague who says "you know" many, many times in a conversation and it's both annoying and awkward to listen to. During a particularly long drawn out and rather boring staff meeting, I actually started to count how many times he said it. I gave up when he got to 33! I think it might be nervousness but, whatever the reason is, I wish he wouldn't do it so much.

B9exchange Thu 11-Jun-20 10:56:15

Bad enough, but 'innit?' at the end of sentences does it for me! grin

Alexa Thu 11-Jun-20 10:57:55

In sever cases these are speech defects, as they make the talk unlistenable.

Alexa Thu 11-Jun-20 10:58:14

severe

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Jun-20 11:00:53

The word "like" after every three words drives me close to crazy. Can these people not express themselves properly?

I agree, "you know" spoken so frequently is so irritating.

Alexa Thu 11-Jun-20 11:04:32

I agree, 'like' is a bad one when it becomes a tic.

Aldom Thu 11-Jun-20 11:07:23

All of the above and really, really

JackyB Thu 11-Jun-20 11:24:51

"You know" and "I mean" used to annoy me when I was a teenager. They've been around for yonks. Once you've noticed it you can't un-notice it.

Yesterday it was "Kind of" (actually "kinda") that caught my attention.

I shan't be coming back to this thread as by about Post 6 it's always the same things that come up. I wish that HQ would list them when you go to post in Pedants' Corner, with a note to say that these have been done to death and require no further comment.

Marmight Thu 11-Jun-20 12:18:02

That’s great JackyB?. Your prerogative.
I think, but don’t say, that about many posts on GN particularly those of a political persuasion. In another world it’s called the ‘off’ button wink

moggie57 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:21:13

i hate people saying "you guys" i told the train person off for calling me a guy .told him it should be ladies and gentlemen and children "not boys and girls"... am i right? really hate the saying YOU GUYS. !!!!

sodapop Thu 11-Jun-20 12:38:46

Basically is another word which gets over frequent usage in some people's conversation.

Good to know you are ready to be the arbiter of Pedants Corner JackyB

grandtanteJE65 Mon 15-Jun-20 12:40:02

I think "ladies and gentlemen" could be held to cover passengers under 18 as well, at least if they are behaving properly.

After all, most children are with adults, and frankly if they are making pests of themselves it would be horribly tempting to call them "little brats"!

sodapop Mon 15-Jun-20 13:25:41

gringrin grandtanteJE65 I have that temptation too.

Jane10 Mon 15-Jun-20 13:28:29

The worst example of 'you know' was Camilla being interviewed by Chris Evans about the 500 words children's writing competition. I couldn't believe it. She said 'you know' every other word it seemed. Posh voice but problems stringing a sentence together.