Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Does anyone proof-read TV documentary scripts?

(7 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:26:54

I doubt anyone has time to proof-read texts for TV and films.

What really annoys me is the mis-translations, when watching films in other languages which I know well enough to see where the translator made a mistake.

sodapop Sun 26-Jul-20 09:08:42

The daughter -in-laws etc crops up all the time. It's strange how some things really grate and others don't..

MellowYellow Sun 26-Jul-20 07:41:13

Going back aeons I worked for a BBC local TV station, typing the news scripts. Often they were rushed out and one day my script wasn't checked and I'd typed the word 'beautiful' with a k instead of an l. And the newsreader read it as such. I was scowled at.

eazybee Sun 26-Jul-20 07:31:22

Reminds me of my cookery mistress, who always insisted on 'spoonsful'.

Puzzler61 Sun 26-Jul-20 07:20:59

All left to computers probably, and we know how annoying predictive text can be!

ladymuck Sun 26-Jul-20 07:13:41

I have often wondered whether actors and presenters question the scripts they are given. The BBC used to be the epitome of correct English but have joined the general decline in our language.

Kate54 Sat 25-Jul-20 22:18:49

I am often left wondering how the process of TV writing proceeds when so many grammatical errors manage to make it onto the screen. I have just watched an episode of ‘Ambulance’, the award-winning BBC series. The narrator is Christopher Ecclestone, a fine actor who was obliged to say ‘passer-bys’ as clearly the writer was unaware of the plural of ‘passer-by’.
I know it’s not a big deal but when this sort of thing happens, I’m always amazed (and fascinated)that no one involved in the process picks up on it. Any ideas? Or should I contact ‘Points of View’?!