Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Back in...

(16 Posts)
Kate54 Thu 20-Aug-20 18:41:54

Why is it now considered necessary to add ‘back in’ when describing something that has happened in the past? TV journalists frequently come out with phrases such as ‘Back in March so and so first appeared in court’ or ‘It was back in January when such and such happened’.
‘In’ is fine on its own. Or it was, back in the day!

B9exchange Fri 21-Aug-20 14:27:49

Or even 'last March' or 'last January'?

BBbevan Fri 21-Aug-20 17:43:56

Hate it, hate it. Back in the day !!!!!!
What day exactly ?

sodapop Fri 21-Aug-20 17:51:07

"Going forward" also seems to crop up a lot now.

NotSpaghetti Fri 21-Aug-20 18:24:34

I hate “going forward” too.

Grammaretto Fri 21-Aug-20 18:32:27

I dislike "in terms of".
Overused in my opinion
My other pet hate is differentiate when distinguish would do.

Glorybee Fri 21-Aug-20 18:33:55

‘Back in the day’ seems fairly new to my ears and sounds so wrong. Growing up, we would say ‘^it used to be . . . . ages ago when . . . in the old days^’ etc.

Fennel Fri 21-Aug-20 19:01:05

I admit I sometimes use 'back in' talking and writing about the past.
I also use it for reversing when driving.
And eg the Beatles 'Back in the USSR.'
I don't find it annoying though.

Bathsheba Fri 21-Aug-20 19:39:45

I really don't see the problem with saying 'back in March'. Seriously, what is wrong with it? confused

My other pet hate is differentiate when distinguish would do.
Why? How boring it would be if synonyms were disallowed. (Or, should I say banned? Or maybe abolished? Which is the preferred word in Newspeak? wink)

welbeck Fri 21-Aug-20 20:23:18

back in the day is used esp by da yoof in da hood. you got me.

welbeck Fri 21-Aug-20 20:26:01

for some reason i'm now reminded of a charming fascia board on a fast food shop in brixton,
wings and tings.
i really love that !

Kate54 Fri 21-Aug-20 23:26:45

It’s just unnecessary, Bathsheba . Two words when one will do!

Bathsheba Sat 22-Aug-20 17:02:10

Kate54

It’s just unnecessary, Bathsheba . Two words when one will do!

So are you actually saying that we should do away with synonyms altogether? Because if there is already a word for something it is unnecessary to have another? Goodness ?

jeanrobinson Sun 13-Sep-20 16:06:47

I dislike "meeting up". Does no-one simply "meet" nowadays?

Elegran Sun 13-Sep-20 16:22:08

I think I am right in saying I "differentiate" to mean that I am pointing out a difference for the benefit of the person I am addressing, but I "distinguish" between two things when it is for my own observation and understanding.

In the same way, I use different terms to imply or infer something unstated - I can "imply" something extra to what I say or write, but I "infer" something more out of what I have read.

It depends on where I am viewing from.

Kate54 Sun 13-Sep-20 16:42:43

Bathsheba no, not saying, synonyms should be banned! I
love a synonym as much as the next (wo)man. It’s just this particular habit of using more words than necessary (e.g. ‘back in January’ rather than ‘in’or ‘last ‘January).
Mind you, my late FiL used to say ‘bread loaf’ which I rather liked as I’m also a fan of local dialects.