Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Grammar

(102 Posts)
Didsbury Thu 27-Aug-20 22:51:47

When you see a sign, which is grammatically incorrect, which ones irritate you the most

Seeing apostrophes in plurals.
I was in an office one day and saw a poster which told us what happened on each day of the week
It had apostrophes in plurals
Monday's Tuesday's and son on
I had to sit down with a glass of water and recover.

The one that gets me when I am in Morrisons's
10 items or less - it should be 10 items or fewer

Generally, the rule is if the noun is countable or uncountable

ayse Fri 28-Aug-20 15:27:46

One the BBC today, I’ve spotted at least two punctuation errors with apostrophes. I’m out a great pedant but national websites such as the BBC really ought to check their copy before posting. That does make me cross ?

quizqueen Fri 28-Aug-20 15:35:29

Unfortunately, the opening post had several mistakes in it too!

welbeck Fri 28-Aug-20 15:38:42

just imagine if there were two Rufuses...
but i guess all the Rufuses' grammar would be as spot on as the one and only best original Rufus's /Rufus' .

Lucca Fri 28-Aug-20 15:50:45

Rufii

Rufus2 Fri 28-Aug-20 15:56:03

As in This house belongs to the Jameses, or This is the Jameses' house
GarandmaKT
Sorry ,No! My spell/grammar checker supports me: by red -lining . "Jameses" ! grin

James' is more concise and still implies there is more than one James

Of course, "Jim" would be even more concise and still do the same job! hmm

pollyperkins Fri 28-Aug-20 16:02:59

Something that annoys me is the use of media for singular nouns eg the media of television. Surely media is plural , medium being singular. It’s similar with phenomena (plural of phenomenon) used as a singular as in ‘the phenomena of lightning.’
And don’t get me started on bacteria ((plural of bacterium). Even on the BBC I’ve heard ‘this bacteria’!

Rufus2 Fri 28-Aug-20 16:13:55

original Rufus's

*Welbeck" The original Rufus was an intelligent Border Collie (Jessie was his mate!) and it would be correct to say, as you have, (Watch it Jessie! that's Rufus's bone!)! grin

Alexa Fri 28-Aug-20 19:53:11

Growstuff, morality has nothing to do with apostrophes. Morality has to do with 'it depends'.
Who the owner of the name is, and the particular moral judgement each depend on the particular situation.

I was just trying to raise an interesting point about situational ethics.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 28-Aug-20 19:57:24

The one that irritates me is "I'll" meaning unwell?? My pal does it all the time! Grrrr .....

Have a look at my Facebook Marketplace photos on a different post, they are hilarious, but cannot remember which post now?

pollyperkins Sat 29-Aug-20 07:18:03

Sometimes the use of I’ll for ill is due to predictive text if writing on an iPhone. Mine does it all the time. In fact it changed my ill to I’ll just now but luckily I noticed before posting. The same goes for lots of spellings.

Lucca Sat 29-Aug-20 07:28:19

Alexa

Growstuff, morality has nothing to do with apostrophes. Morality has to do with 'it depends'.
Who the owner of the name is, and the particular moral judgement each depend on the particular situation.

I was just trying to raise an interesting point about situational ethics.

I still don’t understand !

Calendargirl Sat 29-Aug-20 07:45:41

‘Practice’ and ‘Practise’.

Always annoys me when used incorrectly, often on Gransnet I have to say.

And of course one we see a lot of lately,

‘meter’ and ‘metre’.

Lexisgranny Sat 29-Aug-20 07:49:08

Pet dislikes: Draw instead of drawer; of instead of have; I were instead of I was; haitch instead of aitch - I could go on, but breakfast beckons and it is taking too long to keep changing the £& predictive text!!!

sodapop Sat 29-Aug-20 08:43:32

Same with 'advice' and 'advise' Calendargirl

pollyperkins Sat 29-Aug-20 17:57:25

Like instead of as if : ‘It looks like it’s going to rain ’ for example instead of ‘it looks as if it’s going to rain’
And frequently in ads these days they talk of ‘electric’ instead of electricity. For example : your gas and electric bills.
Or ‘totally unique’.
I could go on.

Calendargirl Sat 29-Aug-20 19:54:50

Not forgetting ‘affect’ and ‘effect’.

phoenix Sat 29-Aug-20 20:03:01

Language may indeed evolve, but "of" when it should be "have" , and "stationary" (as in not moving) as opposed to "stationery" meaning notebooks, pencils etc is just not on!

Ok, the world will not stop turning, but as Mr P says, "Standards, darling, standards".

And don't get me started on those who think it's "definAtely"!

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 29-Aug-20 20:17:53

Bad grammar is exceedingly annoying but I wince when I hear people use "literally" in the wrong way. It's very common. The worst I ever heard was a sports commentator, "he's literally been handed a huge slice of luck".

welbeck Sat 29-Aug-20 20:26:04

oh, he's literally lost his head and kicked it over the net.

Alexa Sat 29-Aug-20 20:55:55

Growstuff wrote:

"It's to do with custom and practice rather than "correctness". "

But custom and practice are correctness. The use of apostrophes does usually depend on custom or practice to be judged correct .

My point is situations sometimes merit departures from custom and practice, and this is not only true of the use of apostrophes it's also true of moral issues.

SpringyChicken Sat 29-Aug-20 21:49:11

I sent this card to my daughter.

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fih1.redbubble.net%2Fimage.529721953.0458%2Fflat%2C1000x1000%2C075%2Cf.u3.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redbubble.com%2Fpeople%2Fjudyhoracek%2Fworks%2F14540458-apostrophe-man&tbnid=GLEnXN2m7qkN4M&vet=12ahUKEwi5tLigpMHrAhVP0-AKHdGdBdwQMygEegUIARCvAQ..i&docid=CKk8v_x5lj5fUM&w=1000&h=990&q=apostrophe%20man&client=safari&ved=2ahUKEwi5tLigpMHrAhVP0-AKHdGdBdwQMygEegUIARCvAQ

Tweedle24 Mon 31-Aug-20 15:19:09

Some of the different spellings — advise/advice and practice/ practise, for example, are differences between UK English and US English.

sodapop Mon 31-Aug-20 15:26:37

Forward planning is another bugbear of mine.

Calendargirl Mon 31-Aug-20 15:29:36

‘Number’ and ‘amount’....

“A huge amount of people.....”. aargh!

Oopsminty Mon 31-Aug-20 15:36:30

I get things wrong all the time

I wish I didn't

But the dreaded apostrophe is my Nemesis. I will spend ages on a message trying to avoid having to use one

Love the card, SpringyChicken!