Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

to dialogue (verb)

(11 Posts)
25Avalon Mon 13-Dec-21 13:04:41

Better not tell dh. He hates words turned into verbs - dare I say verbalised?!

Puzzled Mon 13-Dec-21 13:02:03

As Winston Churchill said, "This is the sort of language with which I will not put"
Am ashamed to say that I posted a split infinitive in another post!

Greta Sat 10-Apr-21 18:24:33

I blame the English language. We have no infinitive ending, we don't conjugate verbs. I don't think many people know the difference between a verb and a noun. What is interesting is just how fast these new usages spread. I now get irritated when I hear 'narrative'. There has never been so much 'narrative' going on.

As regards 'to dialogue' I haven't come across it yet. I probably will tomorrow. Once it starts it spreads like wildfire.

lemongrove Sat 10-Apr-21 18:12:46

Alishka

Heard it used twice this morning on r4 as a verb.

New to me!

Am I going to adopt it? Errr, that'll be a NOgrin

My neighbour is out sweeping his path. Shall I go out and dialogue him, or just, perhaps, have a chat?

Decisions, decisions...

Yes go and dialogue him with your truth.?
Did all this sort of thing come in with Donald Trump? If so, I wish it would vanish, just as he has.

Puzzled Sat 10-Apr-21 17:57:10

Unspeakable misuse of language!

Septimia Sun 07-Mar-21 13:07:04

Using nouns as verbs really annoys me.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:02:54

I can't imagine telling DH that I am off to dialogue our neighbour!

I don't have a problem with "to access" if I am talking about computers or smart-phones, and I believe you could have heard me say that the forward bulkhead storage space on our boat was difficult to access, although if I was in my univerrsity lecturer mode I probably said it was difficult of access with the happy result that my better half said, " What the heck do you mean?"

MaizieD Sun 07-Mar-21 12:45:43

Horrible though it is there's no point in fighting it. It will happen because, for some utterly obscure reason, people seem to completely lose their marbles when confronted with a new word usage and copy like sheep..

I'm still angsting over alternate instead of alternative, gifting instead of giving, convince instead of persuade, 'for free', 'excited for', inappropriate use of prepositions and all the many pedants' irritants. It changes nothing, though grin

grandmajet Sun 07-Mar-21 12:30:39

I felt the same about ‘to access’. Now it’s everywhere.
And what about ‘to medal’, at the Olympics!

sodapop Sun 07-Mar-21 12:27:07

Never heard it used as a verb before Alishka that's totally wrong, I won't be using it either.

Alishka Sun 07-Mar-21 11:39:39

Heard it used twice this morning on r4 as a verb.

New to me!

Am I going to adopt it? Errr, that'll be a NOgrin

My neighbour is out sweeping his path. Shall I go out and dialogue him, or just, perhaps, have a chat?

Decisions, decisions...