Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Vaccination

(47 Posts)
sodapop Mon 02-Aug-21 08:59:32

The word jab in lieu of vaccination is irritating enough but now ' double jabber' has crept into daily speech. Does anyone else find this annoying

MayBeMaw Tue 26-Oct-21 09:59:21

Blossoming

Surely vacation means holiday!

Oh the perils of autocorrect!
I sometimes think my keyboard has a mind of its own - and a twisted peculiar one at that- plus the ability to change a word even after I have checked it and just as I post. grin

Marydoll Mon 25-Oct-21 22:49:41

GoldenLady: jaggy: prickly. It is not painful, just a little bit prickly. I think jag is a very apt description.

Now as for the meaning of shot, The word shot meaning a drink of alcohol, has been used since at least the 17th century, a shot specifically means a small drink of spirits.

NotTooOld Mon 25-Oct-21 22:27:22

Never heard of jag until just now but I became a triple jagger on Saturday and spent Sunday in bed with jagger side effects. Today I am fine - don't want to put anyone off getting triple jagged.

ElaineI Mon 25-Oct-21 18:27:00

Alegrias1

I saw "double jabber" in the title of one of the threads this morning and seriously thought it was about Boris Johnson and his ever growing family. ??

That is very funny and can't get the image out my head now grin
Always been jag in Scotland and gave a fair few at work every day.

Esspee Mon 25-Oct-21 18:07:52

GoldenLady

Both "jab" and "jag" are Britishisms. Here in America, we call it a "shot." Or we just say, "I got the vaccine last week."

I wish all these painful-sounding words would just disappear from discussions about this vaccine. It's a tiny needle, doesn't hurt at all, you barely feel anything. So why all the violent-sounding nicknames?

Jab and jag are not Britishisms. Jab is English slang and Jag is Scottish slang for an injection.

Sparklefizz Mon 25-Oct-21 17:36:35

Earlier in the year I was fed up with hearing "...getting the vaccine ^into people's arms^".

We all knew it wasn't going into their big toe!

Kalu Mon 25-Oct-21 16:29:38

I will be a treble jagger on Friday. ?

I immediately started singing move like jagger GillT and it’s still in my head.

Blossoming Mon 25-Oct-21 16:17:11

Surely vacation means holiday!

kircubbin2000 Mon 25-Oct-21 16:09:50

Where I come from most people in the comments call it vacation.

Witzend Mon 25-Oct-21 13:01:03

It doesn’t bother me, not that I’ve heard ‘double jabber’ - did you mean ‘double jabbed’?
Can’t see the objection to that at all.

Rosie51 Mon 25-Oct-21 12:54:54

On each of my two vaccinations the giver just said "a little scratch" which wasn't factually correct as a needle was inserted into the muscle. There's pedantry for you smile I don't mind what they're called, just glad to get them!

Blossoming Sun 26-Sep-21 16:52:37

‘Shot’ is an Americanism.

Elegran Sun 26-Sep-21 16:48:19

Did I see someone objecting to people being pedantic in what they post on a thread in Pedants' corner ?

On the Games threads, posters are playing Games.
On the Food threads, they talk about Food.
On the News and Politics threads, they discuss Politics.
On Am I Being Reasonable, they ask whether their reaction to something is Reasonable

On all threads, posts often veer off the subject, but in general, the main discussion is on the stated thread title, and under the relevant topic heading. Under "Pedants' Corner", you can expect to find pedantry. There is a clue there in the name of the topic.

GoldenLady Wed 08-Sep-21 15:05:31

Both "jab" and "jag" are Britishisms. Here in America, we call it a "shot." Or we just say, "I got the vaccine last week."

I wish all these painful-sounding words would just disappear from discussions about this vaccine. It's a tiny needle, doesn't hurt at all, you barely feel anything. So why all the violent-sounding nicknames?

FarNorth Mon 02-Aug-21 15:35:55

We do have a jaggy plant as our national emblem.

Yammy Mon 02-Aug-21 15:16:06

Where I came from it was always a "prick", with no rude connotations. We were told to line up for our polio pricks.
I try to say or write vac but find the odd jab is creeping in. I didn't realise that the Scots say jag. I thought it was Nicolas Ayrshire accent.

Deedaa Mon 02-Aug-21 15:10:36

I was perfectly happy with jabs and jabbers until I heard Boris using them.

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:08:55

Am I the only one who now has I am gonna move like Jagger, move like Jagger as an ear worm?

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 15:04:40

i mean many things, items, events, processes, have a technical name, and also an informal one.

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 15:03:06

i prefer jab to jag, it sounds more gentle, less sharp.
i'd never heard of jag for jab until reading on here.
i can't see what's wrong with either term; isn't like having scientific names for plants alongside common, ?or garden!, ones.

MaizieD Mon 02-Aug-21 14:46:59

sodapop

Kamiso this is pedants corner and nothing to do with making people feel inferior. Your comment was totally unnecessary.

There's always one person that does this. grin

You would think that the title of the forum would indicate its content but they come on to be cross with us all the same.

sodapop Mon 02-Aug-21 14:41:53

Kamiso this is pedants corner and nothing to do with making people feel inferior. Your comment was totally unnecessary.

Alegrias1 Mon 02-Aug-21 14:37:00

No, all of us Luckygirl. We're all jaggers up here. grin Well most of us wink

Luckygirl Mon 02-Aug-21 14:29:35

Oh whoops! I had no idea jag was a Scottish word! I just thought it was only NS! Apologies for any offence!!!

FarNorth Mon 02-Aug-21 14:15:01

Hey, I must be a double-jagger, then!
I like it.

Double-jabber absolutely is what Brave New Boris comes out with.