Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Microsoft Word has “gone woke”

(77 Posts)
Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 07:42:53

If you type an “offensive” word or phrase it will now highlight it and provide a woke alternative. So Postman Pat becomes “Postal worker Pat” and Neil Armstrong’s moon landing speech would be changed to “one giant leap for humankind” instead of mankind.
I thought I was in some sort of time slip when I read that and it really was April 1st.

What’s next? The inauguration of the thought police?

Galaxy Fri 14-Jan-22 10:36:44

Postman Pat has always been a really rubbish postman.

Gwyneth Fri 14-Jan-22 10:43:49

I was thinking how is Postman Pat offensive to anyone?

Galaxy Fri 14-Jan-22 10:46:14

Because he takes his cat to work and delivers about two parcels a day, and seems to think hes also a policeman/paramedic honestly he is useless.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Jan-22 10:46:30

It isn’t hard though I have a post man, the houses opposite have a postlady and as a whole we both have posties
If anyone is still surprised at the term ‘half caste’ being a total no no I don’t know what rock you were under I was born a before you Sago and would have known not to use that term since I was a youngster my 90 year old Dad knew not to use it

Postman pat is played as a man so of course he’s a postman and that’s totally ridiculous so is Batman, SpiderMan, Wonder Woman, and loose women all going to be changed or is it just pick on poor old Pat who s already has a gender neutral name, so doing well

Please let’s put on sensible hats on and change what needs changing but leave the rest alone I will still talk about Postman Pat if no one follows the stupid things they ll die out (hopefully)

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 10:47:51

Galaxy

Because he takes his cat to work and delivers about two parcels a day, and seems to think hes also a policeman/paramedic honestly he is useless.

???

Doodledog Fri 14-Jan-22 10:50:11

Nobody is saying you have to call Postman Pat anything other than by his name, though.

It is just letting you know that there is a chance that you might be going to upset someone by what you are typing (eg half-caste). You can decide to change it, decide to think about it, or decide to tell Word to do something it would undoubtedly try to correct - the choice is still yours.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 10:50:41

Nobody is stopping anybody talking about Postman Pat.

In a week where we have the seat of government breaking its own laws, members of the RF allegedly behaving with dubious morals, anti vaxxers lying to get into a country and members of the party of government slagging each other off, is it proportional to get huffy about being asked to be careful how you address people?

Galaxy Fri 14-Jan-22 10:57:36

I know I am derailing but I have just found a brilliant Twitter rant about how rubbish Pat is at his job. Locking Jess in the van all day, using a helicopter to deliver one parcel, delivering crockery safely b 'driving slowly' There are people out there who have given a lot of thought to this issue. grin

Galaxy Fri 14-Jan-22 10:58:32

There seems to be no one stopping them talking (at great length) about Postman Pat.

GagaJo Fri 14-Jan-22 11:00:07

Alegrias1

^How are we expected to keep up?^

When someone tells you that a phrase isn't acceptable any more, stop using it. It's not hard and you're not the victim.

I'm older than you and I would never use the term half caste. Becuase I've been paying attention.

Exactly Alegrias1. My granny used to use the term 'coloured'. Not acceptable.

We all have mobile phones. If in doubt, Google it.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 11:01:50

Anyone who is less than 60 years old, though, needs to be more attentive to what society is like now and not complain about moving goalposts and how hard it is.

Oh good, there is an age limit to wholeness.

So why are Gransnetters constantly being reprimanded when the majority are probably over 60, some even in their 90s?

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 11:02:56

Not wholeness!

Obviously autocorrect is alive and well on Gransnet and doesn't like the term wokeness!

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 11:05:40

Gwyneth

I was thinking how is Postman Pat offensive to anyone?

My youngest met him once when she was 2 at an event in a store and went as white as a sheet. She was completely traumatised by him, too scared even to cry.
He's a very, very scary man.

Doodledog Fri 14-Jan-22 11:11:33

He's a very, very scary man.
???

That has to be Gransnet quote of the day!

Galaxy Fri 14-Jan-22 11:31:45

Bob the builder is the same. An hour and a half I once queued to meet him, my eldest wouldnt go anywhere near him when we got to the front. I have a great photo of me standing as near as I could get (about half a mile away grin) to Bob with my child terrified in my arms.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-Jan-22 11:38:06

I have finally worked out how to prevent Outlook correcting my spelling to American usage and my grammar to what it considers correct. And I got rid of the annoying habit Outlook had of assuming that everyone who uses their e-mail system is writing formal business communications.

I devoutly hope and trust that Microsoft Word's corrections can be disabled. I am not sure they can, as you cannot disable Edge, nor enable Windows 10 to cancel an update very easily.

I agree language evolves, but I intend to choose myself which of the newer expressions I intend to use.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 15-Jan-22 14:00:38

It's insanity grin

EngTech Sat 15-Jan-22 14:05:07

George Orwell’s 1984 was a warning, not a blueprint ??

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 14:10:54

I don't think that a piece of word processing software suggesting alternatives to what you've written is quite as 1984 as a PM who thinks its OK to gaslight us into believing that he's somehow doing the right thing.

Maybe its just me.

Chestnut Sat 15-Jan-22 14:20:50

Calistemon

^Anyone who is less than 60 years old, though, needs to be more attentive to what society is like now and not complain about moving goalposts and how hard it is.^

Oh good, there is an age limit to wholeness.

So why are Gransnetters constantly being reprimanded when the majority are probably over 60, some even in their 90s?

You wrote my thoughts exactly! Alegrias1 has set the rules society should live by, and as I'm past the specified age bracket I don't have to abide by them or follow the woke culture. Hooray!

Doodledog Sat 15-Jan-22 14:24:21

Maybe its just me.

No, it's not ?. I could understand people being disconcerted if Word could change 'fireman' to 'firefighter' without your knowledge or permission, and refuse to change it back. From what I can tell however (my version is too old to have this feature) it simply puts a purple wiggly line under a word on its list (which can be removed by going to Tools/Language/whatever is under 'spelling' and 'grammar' and unticking the box), so you are alerted to a possible faux pas, which you can change or leave as it is at your own discretion. Not the end of freedom as we know it.

Chestnut Sat 15-Jan-22 15:02:19

It's a slippery slope Doodledog. Today it's a gentle suggestion, tomorrow it will be 'fireman' to 'firefighter and you can't change it back!

B9exchange Sat 15-Jan-22 15:12:50

My version of Word doesn't offer any suggestions to change any of the words mentioned above, I have just tried it out. I haven't altered any of the settings apart from US to UK English.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 15-Jan-22 16:03:38

Until I read this thread I didn’t know it’s now incorrect to describe someone as being of mixed race. I thought I was being polite, having grown up in the days when ‘half caste’ was the norm.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 16:08:29

Being over 60, I confess I can't keep up.

I think we all knew that coloured person is not correct (and I hadn't used that term for years anyway) I was confused to hear Diane Abbott and others refer to 'a person of colour'.

I know it's semantics but could someone please explain the difference?