Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

There, their and they're

(48 Posts)
CountessFosco Tue 12-Apr-22 11:55:59

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Standard of education dropping significantly? sad

Septimia Thu 05-May-22 14:18:19

I'm happy to be a pedant and I'm annoyed by all spelling or grammar errors and the misuse of words - of course, I can make mistakes, too.

It irritates me to see these mistakes at any time, but I'm happy to forgive them on Gransnet or in emails when people are typing quickly and their thoughts run ahead of their fingers.

What annoys me most is finding them on websites or in print when the text really should have been checked before being published.

MrsKen33 Thu 05-May-22 13:31:42

Seen in the market …..corjets

MawtheMerrier Thu 05-May-22 12:26:32

yggdrasil

My total peeve is the number of people selling 'chests of draws'!!

Or even “Chester draws” ????

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 12:26:16

I wanted to put 'luckylegs' and predictive changed the name to 'lickylags' grin

rockgran Thu 05-May-22 12:24:25

I was trying to type "wordle" yesterday and my computer just wouldn't have it and kept putting "world". I gave it a good telling off!angry

GrandmasueUK Thu 05-May-22 12:23:29

I taught English and, in particular, spelling but I would never be so rude as to point out spelling errors. Typos can occur with predictive text, as I’ve found to my horror. One of my peeves is ‘bare’ with me/us. Grr.

yggdrasil Thu 05-May-22 12:04:09

My total peeve is the number of people selling 'chests of draws'!!

Luckygirl3 Thu 05-May-22 11:51:26

CountessFosco

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There, there - calm down.....!

As long as the meaning is clear (and it usually is contextually) I am happy to go with the flow.

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 11:10:14

I think people feel obliged to excuse their badly written posts..
It's always better to get in first before some smart alec points it out out. (And they always do)

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 11:01:02

MissAdventure

The point is that nobody needs to excuse themself, particularly on a chat site.
My other point is to ask if people are including their own children and grandchildren amongst those who are nowhere near as literate as they should be?

People may not need to excuse themselves on a chat site but they frequently do, saying predictive text has made the mistake, not them.

If our own children and grandchildren can read Dickens then I'd say they were well educated, but I doubt many of them would or could.

Sickofweddingcake Thu 05-May-22 10:14:34

Once, when my son was 5 years old a teacher wrote: 'Well done, exellent work!'
I sent it back...circled it in red pen with the comment:' Please proofread before sending out!'

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 10:06:02

I've just thought of another point.
This is the pedants section.
Sorry!
I'll go away now. smile

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 09:54:48

The point is that nobody needs to excuse themself, particularly on a chat site.
My other point is to ask if people are including their own children and grandchildren amongst those who are nowhere near as literate as they should be?

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 09:47:36

I agree predictive text seems a poor excuse and is used all the time for mistakes. If it's a frequent problem then maybe switch it off? Otherwise it's important to read through what you've written. Gransnet has a preview button which I always use for a long post because it gives a good overview of what you've written.

I do think the standard of education was much higher in the past. I'm afraid we are going backwards. Victorian novels are so wordy that today's average reader will struggle, and eventually will anyone be able to read them?

GagaJo Thu 05-May-22 09:37:56

CountessFosco

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ummm, 35 to a class. 7 classes a day. 33 lessons a week. 70 hour working week for teachers.

Over worked staff, diminishing teacher numbers.

If we want quality state education, the entire system needs overhauling.

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 09:37:45

My predictive text changes words as they're posting.
Sometimes my phone buffers for ages, so I'm not sure if it has actually posted, and more importantly - it doesnt really matter.
It hasn't put in some apostrophes on what I've just written, but I quite enjoy the thought of people screaming about it. wink

Mollygo Thu 05-May-22 09:31:13

sodapop

I understand that predictive text can change things but do people not read through their messages before posting.

I always do, but the eye sees what it thinks is written and sometimes I don’t notice the mistake till it’s there in pink.

FarNorth Thu 05-May-22 09:29:05

shock Maw

sodapop Thu 05-May-22 09:00:57

I understand that predictive text can change things but do people not read through their messages before posting.

MawtheMerrier Thu 05-May-22 06:15:02

Don’t be upset OP or as they say -
“There, their, they’re”
I too can be enraged (well, exercised) by sloppy spelling or grammar then I saw this tiny book handwritten and made by Charlotte Brontë who wrote a book or two in her lifetime.
Now it is up for sale at the New York International Antiquarian Book Fair, with an asking price of $1.25 million.
It is the size of a calling card, entitled her Book of Ryhme’s (sic) -including the apostrophe if you look closely enough!

Lauren59 Thu 05-May-22 06:03:28

GagaJo

I'm an English teacher but frequently make mistakes when typing on my phone.

My pet grammatical peeve is 'should of' instead of 'should have/should've'.

“Should of” instead of “should have” stops me in my tracks. I dated a man a few years back who mixed up your/you’re and to/too and they’re/their/there. It bothered me to read his texts.

VioletSky Tue 12-Apr-22 18:17:22

I don't really think much of it unless I use the wrong one by accident and then get very annoyed.

I notice it more in spoken language though, if someone says he's instead of his I get very confused lol

eazybee Tue 12-Apr-22 18:04:35

I have two postcard albums full of cards sent to my Grandmother by her many sisters circa 1902 to 1914 plus; they were all educated at a small village school which they left aged thirteen.
I have yet to discover a spelling mistake.

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-22 15:33:10

Predictive text changes that sodapop even if I've typed it correctly.
It's understandable that someone who isn't actually sure will think spellchecker knows what it's doing.

sodapop Tue 12-Apr-22 15:26:47

These errors jump out at me as well FarNorth but I don't say anything to the writer ( unless it's one of my family)
The other one which grates on me is your/you're So many times I see "your going to work" or "your missing the dog" grrrr.