Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Psalms

(9 Posts)
Joseanne Thu 15-Sep-22 08:17:19

Yesterday, during the service in Westminster Hall I think I heard the BBC keep referring to a setting of Psalm 139. As a psalm is a chant, I'm not sure it can be "set" (without having to totally rewrite it)?

MawtheMerrier Thu 15-Sep-22 08:22:45

I take "setting" to mean "set to music" (as in a tune such as Crimond,) Although "songs" in the Bible they were either chanted or could also be said.

Ailidh Thu 15-Sep-22 08:25:05

One of my favourite Psalms.

There will be various chants to which it can be sung without altering any of the words, I'm guessing that's what the commentator meant.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 15-Sep-22 16:57:25

The setting of a psalm is most definitely referring to the Scottish Hymbook's metrical psalms.

These are versions of the Biblical psalms found in the Old Testament. They were written at the time of the Reformation, keep to a strict metre (in the poetic sense) within the same psalm and often rhyme. Each has it own melodic tune - no chanting allowed in the Kirk.

I am not sure what the Presbyterian church of Scotland does these days, but in my school-days both metrical psalms one or two of them, and four or five hymns - not based on biblical texts were sung at all church services.

Some psalms, notably the 23rd have more than one well-loved tune - as far as I remember, the Queen Mother preferred the other tune, which I cannot remember the name of to Crimond.

MawtheMerrier Thu 15-Sep-22 17:06:49

Some psalms, notably the 23rd have more than one well-loved tune - as far as I remember, the Queen Mother preferred the other tune, which I cannot remember the name of to Crimond
Brother James’s Air?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGoxVDUlH7E

We had it at our wedding as I felt Crimond was too funereal and always made me cry!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 15-Sep-22 17:14:30

I had the 23rd psalm sung to Crimond for my first wedding and my parents’ funerals. For my funeral it will be spoken.

Yammy Thu 15-Sep-22 20:22:03

In a synagogue, a psalm can be sung chanted or spoken usually led by the Rabbi.
I had to learn a lot as a Methodist to get Lord Wharton's Bible.
My favourite psalm is 121
"I will lift up mine eyes to the hills, from whence cometh my help. We were always told to say the second part as a question but I don't know if it is true. It is in a stained glass window of the small church at the head of Wastwater in the lakes.

Floradora9 Thu 15-Sep-22 21:32:03

MawtheMerrier

^Some psalms, notably the 23rd have more than one well-loved tune - as far as I remember, the Queen Mother preferred the other tune, which I cannot remember the name of to Crimond^
Brother James’s Air?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGoxVDUlH7E

We had it at our wedding as I felt Crimond was too funereal and always made me cry!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvSVkHbLJVA

I love this version of Brother James's Air I sang it with the school choir and have never heard in sung in a church since.

Grandma70s Thu 15-Sep-22 21:46:15

We sang/chanted psalms at school prayers, every day, in the 1950s. I absolutely loved them, and I didn’t like metrical psalms because I felt they messed up the words. We had a little brown-covered book called The Oxford Psalter with the pointing for the chants.

I make a partial exception for Psalm 23 sung to Crimond, but I still prefer it chanted.