Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Bowlsful/ bowlfuls

(66 Posts)
MrsKen33 Fri 02-Dec-22 03:15:54

I have just had a document corrected by a professional proofreader. I wrote “He ate three bowlsful of soup” and she corrected it to ‘bowlfuls’. Who is right?

MaizieD Fri 02-Dec-22 10:28:57

It's bowlsful.

I suppose a purist would say that it's ''bowls full' I think that's how I would insist it's written.

As for 'on a weekend', 'on' is a preposition, it tells you about the placement of something. How on earth would you be able to get 'on' a weekend? I realise it's a dialect phrase, very common here in the NE, but it's incorrect.

(Don't get me started on 'different to' 👿)

Do professional proofreaders have to pass a grammar test? This one would fail for me...

MaizieD Fri 02-Dec-22 10:29:37

Callistemon21

I'd change my proof reader.
Proofreader.

I think I would, too grin

Oldnproud Fri 02-Dec-22 11:52:39

I presume that 'bowlful' follows the same rule as 'cupful' in the plural:

cupful
noun [ C ]
UK /ˈkʌp.fʊl/ US /ˈkʌp.fʊl/
plural cupfuls or US also cupsful

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/cupful

MawtheMerrier Fri 02-Dec-22 12:05:28

eazybee

The cookery mistress at school always insisted on spoonsful; don't remember any discussion about bowls.

I am sure there is a difference between a spoon “full of sugar” and a spoonful
I think it is that the latter is a measure while the former describes the spoon
As I said before, when in doubt, leave it out
A bowl of soup, a teaspoon/tablespoon etc of sugar, a cup of tea ! grin

Baggs Fri 02-Dec-22 12:09:29

(Don't get me started on 'different to' 👿)

Me too!!

Kalu Fri 02-Dec-22 12:16:54

I too would just say a bowl of or three bowls of regardless of the quantity. We’re they full, three full bowls of.

Kalu Fri 02-Dec-22 12:21:44

JaneJudge

I would just say he had three bowls of soup

bowl is a funny word isn't it?

It is. And, if the correct pronunciation isn’t used, bowl and bowel would sound the same. 😀

JaneJudge Fri 02-Dec-22 12:24:09

you'd think it would be boal like coal or foal

and fowl is not like bowl

sodapop Fri 02-Dec-22 13:22:53

It is a strange word JaneJudge and the more I look at it on this thread the stranger it seems.

I keep seeing bowel now Kalu think I'll say dish of soup in future grin

Septimia Fri 02-Dec-22 14:17:31

Definitely bowlsful, although it does look odd after all the times it's been written on here!

Like others, I'd get round it by saying 'bowls full' or just 'bowls'.

After all, it's the bowls that are full, so if you can say 'bowls' alone and the sentence still make sense, then 'full' is the word that describes 'bowls'. Then we get on to 'hot cup of tea' or 'cup of hot tea'...

Oldnproud Fri 02-Dec-22 14:31:44

Bring pedantic, if you were to write that he ate "three bowls full of soup", you would actually be saying that he ate the bowl as well as the soup, wouldn't you? grin

The more I have thought about it, the more convinced I am that the bowlful, as a unit of measurement/quantity should be pluralized like any other ordinary noun - with the s on the end.

Grammatically, it is completely different from things like sisters-in-law

grandtanteJE65 Fri 02-Dec-22 15:14:27

I would use bowlfuls both in speech and writing and bowls full in writing, but never bowlsful.

I am not sure whether there is a grammatical rule though.

Really, I would prefer Maw's option, He ate three bowls of soup, as after all no-one is likely to have offered anyone a bowl that was three- quarters empty.

JaneJudge Fri 02-Dec-22 16:18:50

oh no, not the eating of bowls now blush

Mollygo Fri 02-Dec-22 16:45:38

I’d have just said 3 bowls of soup. 3 teaspoonsful sounds better than 3 teaspoonfuls -but is that just because it’s what I’m used to saying?

MaizieD Sat 03-Dec-22 18:29:29

when I started secondary school we had an antiquated English teacher whose mantra was 'all right is not all right unless it is spelled as two words'. Nowadays everyone spells it as 'alright' without a second thought. I think that bowlsful has made much the same progression. I'm sure that it would originally have been two words, 'bowls full' and we've just got into the way of running them together. Having turned them into one word people are doing what seems to be the rule with a plural noun and putting the 's' at the end of the word.

My spellcheck objects to 'bowlsful', BTW. It offers me 'bowlfuls'

P.S I think that 'a lot' is going the same way., alot grin

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Dec-22 21:15:16

grandtanteJE65

I would use bowlfuls both in speech and writing and bowls full in writing, but never bowlsful.

I am not sure whether there is a grammatical rule though.

Really, I would prefer Maw's option, He ate three bowls of soup, as after all no-one is likely to have offered anyone a bowl that was three- quarters empty.

I really think no-one needs more than one bowl full of soup.

MrsKen33 Sun 04-Dec-22 05:32:59

In this case Callistemon it was cawl .

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Dec-22 07:10:59

I would also opt for bowls rather than bother with how full they were to be honest.

Maizie

'a lot' is going the same way., alot
😱 Argh!!

JackyB Tue 06-Dec-22 09:17:05

MaizieD

when I started secondary school we had an antiquated English teacher whose mantra was 'all right is not all right unless it is spelled as two words'. Nowadays everyone spells it as 'alright' without a second thought. I think that bowlsful has made much the same progression. I'm sure that it would originally have been two words, 'bowls full' and we've just got into the way of running them together. Having turned them into one word people are doing what seems to be the rule with a plural noun and putting the 's' at the end of the word.

My spellcheck objects to 'bowlsful', BTW. It offers me 'bowlfuls'

P.S I think that 'a lot' is going the same way., alot grin

Going off on a tangent, I would also like to complain about the similar way that "any more" has started to be joined up into one word.

Grannynannywanny Tue 06-Dec-22 09:33:00

Now I’m concerned about the adverse effect of the 3 bowls on his bowels 😱

Grantanow Tue 06-Dec-22 10:04:06

Bowlsful - it's analogous to bags full though bagsful does not exist. English is a dynamic language so either is ok in practice.

Granmarderby10 Tue 06-Dec-22 10:17:47

This has made me think of porridge and the Three Bears 🐻

FarNorth Tue 06-Dec-22 10:31:24

I agree with those saying that bowlful is a distinct noun so the 's' goes on the end.

'Three full bowls of soup' would emphasise the quantity and avoid the problem.

Not 'alot' oh, no!!!!! 🤯

Margs Sun 25-Dec-22 13:54:59

Now then - does one eat or drink soup?
Hmmm....

Shinamae Sun 25-Dec-22 14:01:09

I think I would have it in a cup! 🤓