Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Lucked in, lucked out.

(10 Posts)
Nandalot Fri 10-Feb-23 08:30:50

Further to the sink/basin discussion, another usage that is confusing me is the ‘lucked’ one.
I always thought you ‘lucked in’ if something went your way, but you ‘lucked out’ if things went against you. However, in the last two weeks I have heard, on the tv, the phrase ‘lucked out’ as the positive one. Where are you on this?
Apologies for bringing up slang and colloquialisms on Pedants’ Corner.

NorthFace Fri 10-Feb-23 09:03:15

Earliest recorded use comes from sports and gambling in the USA and then developed into having luck in other areas.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Phrasal verbs

With adverbs in specialized senses. to luck out

intransitive. Originally U.S. To succeed, prosper, or gain an advantage by good luck. Also transitive.

1902 Vicksburg (Miss.) Evening Post 17 July 4/2 At the protest of the Vicksburgers who were hoping against hope, he allowed the game to proceed, with the result that instead of Vicksburg lucking out, Baton Rouge scored another run.

1904 Washington Post 3 Sept. 8/3 Any sort of a hit looked good at this stage, and Manager Donovan lucked out a bunt to Patterson on which he got a scratch hit.

1911 Washington Post 10 Mar. 7 (heading) How He Lucked Out... The man who won the biggest parlay in history.

1934 Boys' Life Aug. 46/4 Joe..remembered that he hadn't shaken hands with his opponent, hurried back, told Tyson he had ‘lucked out’.

1972 J. Wambaugh Blue Knight (1973) ii. 22 Damned if I didn't luck out and get steered into a good job.

2005 D. Nicholls Understudy 165 Remember, Josh mate, you're nothing special, you don't deserve any of this, you just lucked out.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Feb-23 14:00:25

I've never heard either expression!

We gave always talked of being "in luck" or "out of luck".

kircubbin2000 Fri 10-Feb-23 14:12:44

Never heard of this one. The one that annoyed me today is the gb news girl telling us that she is stood on the bridge.She is standing not stood.

MrsKen33 Fri 10-Feb-23 15:12:45

Never heard this expression. I presume it is American and I rather dislike it.

midgey Fri 10-Feb-23 15:28:15

I heard this today and it just felt wrong.

welbeck Fri 10-Feb-23 15:30:28

grandtanteJE65

I've never heard either expression!

We gave always talked of being "in luck" or "out of luck".

ditto

welbeck Fri 10-Feb-23 15:34:44

stood on is an acceptable variant.
it is normal usage from at least the east midlands, northwards.
and it has ancient authority.
southeners tend to say, was standing, but was stood has gained more prevalence in last few decades.
i have a theory that this is due to youngsters going away to university, wanting to get as far away from parents as possible, so regional variants get spread.

sodapop Fri 10-Feb-23 16:02:02

Acceptable it may be Welbeck but it still grates when I read or hear " she was sat/stood"

Nandalot Sat 11-Feb-23 09:31:05

Thankyou, Northface, for the definitions and examples. I accept now that it is the correct usage but seems an odd way round.