Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Advice / Advise

(53 Posts)
CountessFosco Wed 01-Mar-23 10:16:51

Another huge Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Yiayia4 Sun 05-Mar-23 16:30:47

Not if you have dyslexia.Should I be banned from Gransnet.

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 16:31:13

Does anyone else have an issue with 'gifting' instead of 'giving'?

Me, me! I do!

I find it infuriating. The same with 'used' and utilised'.

And 'the vast majority'. What's wrong with 'most'?

choughdancer Sun 05-Mar-23 16:35:05

Yiayia4

Not if you have dyslexia.Should I be banned from Gransnet.

No of course not! That is why there is Pedants' Corner for discussing things like this. I would never criticise anyone on the other threads.

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 16:46:32

^ I wasn't a secondary English teacher, but I assume these things are learned through reading - here are the words in context.^

It's not so much reading them in context as using them in context. Just reading them frequently presupposes that the 'look' of them is remembered. I've seen research that shows that this doesn't happen.

However, one of the key elements of spelling is kinaesthetic (or muscle) memory. Every single word has a unique series of actions involved in writing it, a unique 'rhythm' to it. The more often you write it correctly the more it is implanted in muscle memory and you get to a stage where it is *automatically' reproduced when you 'think' it. Those old fashioned teachers who made you write out a wrongly spelled word 10 or more times correctly were on the right track.

As for tricky words, like advice and advise, when I was at school we spent quite a lot of time doing exercises which involved writing them in a sentence in context. The sort of exercise condemned by 'never mind the spellings, just concentrate on 'meaning' type teaching.

GrandmaKT Sun 05-Mar-23 16:51:46

Oh yes, drives me mad! There is a FB group I am on and so many posts start with "Could I have a bit of advise?" I'm shouting at my laptop "Yes you can - advice is the noun, advise is a verb!" (but of course I never say it). wink

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Mar-23 16:52:57

Blimey

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 16:56:30

Whitewavemark2

Blimey

An enigmatic comment, Wwmk2 grin

MawtheMerrier Sun 05-Mar-23 17:23:04

Apart from anything else they sound quite different

Advise rhymes with size and advice rhymes with nice
So say it aloud or in your head and it should be obvious.

MawtheMerrier Sun 05-Mar-23 17:24:53

welbeck

i wonder if the gifting term has morphed from tax exempt gifts ?

I think it is more a case of making a verb out of a noun

Medal - medalling
Podium - podiumimg (yes, actually)
Gift - gifting

Mollygo Sun 05-Mar-23 17:56:10

MaizieD

And 'the vast majority'. What's wrong with 'most'
Yes!!
Or simply the majority. The majority doesn’t need qualifying.

Yammy Sun 05-Mar-23 18:36:29

Germanshepherdsmum

Will errant posters read and learn?

Sorry no, they will not if they are dyslexic like me. The auto-correct has just corrected dyslexia for me.
It wouldn't matter how many times I wrote a word out if I can not spell it ,it will be spelt wrong.
The odd thing is I am a very quick reader and must have taught myself to read before I went to school as my mother always said the teachers asked who had taught me and it wasn't her.
Many of my family are the same and unfortunately, I have passed it on. It does seem to be more girls than boys.
I help with crosswords like I am doing a general knowledge quiz.confused

sodapop Sun 05-Mar-23 18:37:40

I am unsure about the use of 's' and 'z' as in legalise or legalize are they interchangeable or is one incorrect. This applies to other words as well

JackyB Sun 05-Mar-23 18:49:17

I don't see how anyone can confuse "advise" and "advice" as they are pronounced differently. In fact use them as an aide- memoire. for "practise" and "practice" because those two are not pronounced differently.

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 18:53:52

It wouldn't matter how many times I wrote a word out if I can not spell it ,it will be spelt wrong.

Even if you were writing it out several times in succession with the correct spelling in front of you to refer to?

When you spell a word incorrectly do you spell it the same 'wrong' way each time?

choughdancer Sun 05-Mar-23 18:54:48

sodapop

I am unsure about the use of 's' and 'z' as in legalise or legalize are they interchangeable or is one incorrect. This applies to other words as well

It's 'ise' in English, 'ize' in American English. I have an ongoing battle with my phone which insists on 'ize' and 'or' instead of 'our' in words such as colour; so far I have not let it win, even though it would be much quicker if I did!

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 18:58:33

JackyB

I don't see how anyone can confuse "advise" and "advice" as they are pronounced differently. In fact use them as an aide- memoire. for "practise" and "practice" because those two are not pronounced differently.

It's because for a very long time spelling instruction has borne little relation to the actual sounds in the words. I've worked with many children who had no idea that the letters in a word were somehow connected to the sounds which make up the word. Once they discovered that, their spelling improved somewhat. But motor memory for the 'wrong' spelling is hard to eradicate.

sodapop Sun 05-Mar-23 19:53:47

Thanks choughdancer I have those battles too.

Kate54 Sun 05-Mar-23 20:14:30

And ‘licence’ /‘license’ JackyB

Delila Sun 05-Mar-23 20:29:42

I have difficulty with certain words, for example worse and worst. The problem is that “worst” just doesn’t look right to me. I do know which to use in practice, but have to look at it twice every time.

LadyStardust Sun 05-Mar-23 20:29:48

Please delete if not aloud. grin grin grin

kircubbin2000 Sun 05-Mar-23 21:01:11

I'll have to think that threw.

Delila Sun 05-Mar-23 22:16:48

Ooh, you are a won.

Yammy Sun 05-Mar-23 22:49:43

MaizieD

^It wouldn't matter how many times I wrote a word out if I can not spell it ,it will be spelt wrong.^

Even if you were writing it out several times in succession with the correct spelling in front of you to refer to?

When you spell a word incorrectly do you spell it the same 'wrong' way each time?

If I was copying a word and making a list I would copy the right one at the top but if I turned the paper over and put the word into a sentence I would probably spell it wrong.
My DD still spells grandma grandmar she is worse than me and her daughter appears to be the same. Yet DD has a very good degree .
My DH when we wrote to each other used to correct my spelling and grammar with a red pen like at school, we just laugh now. It's just something I can do nothing about.

welbeck Sun 05-Mar-23 22:50:00

alice threw the looking glass,
? in a fit of peak

MaizieD Sun 05-Mar-23 23:15:49

You didn't answer this one, Yammy. Forgive me, I'm not being picky, I'm just curious because it's an area of education I worked in and I'm interested in.

If your DD consistently spells 'grandma' as 'grandmar' it seems to me to confirm that it's muscle memory of some sort that's doing the work. (It's not a serious error, at least she has it phonetically correct...)