Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Literal shipwreck

(15 Posts)
Elegran Mon 13-Mar-23 14:06:31

I just heard an ad on Classic FM for a cruise ship whose cabins have balconies "from which you can literally touch the view" I don't think I'll book one of their cruises - they must lose a lot of ships by crashing into spectacular cliffs and running aground on sandy beaches so that their passengers can reach out and literally touch the view

MiniMoon Mon 13-Mar-23 16:44:00

🤣🤣

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 16:50:52

Not a good advert!😁

sodapop Mon 13-Mar-23 16:54:11

Think I'll give it a literal miss as well Elegran grin

GrammyGrammy Mon 13-Mar-23 16:58:47

You are hilarious grin

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 17:05:39

Wasn’t there that cruise ship that the captain ran aground? Maybe wanting the passengers to be able to touch the view as per the brochure. It ended tragically I seem to recall.

Elegran Mon 13-Mar-23 19:44:19

We could book a cruise and (after we get back home) ask for a refund and compensation because the view was more than an arms length away.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 13-Mar-23 21:31:35

Oh dear! Sounds a bit too exciting for me. I prefer my views to be just a little bit further away.

Mollygo Mon 13-Mar-23 21:34:21

The only time I could do that was passing through a lock on the Danube. The view was a dank wall, so I didn’t bother!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 13-Mar-23 21:45:24

Good idea, Elegran, but I bet they would quibble about our arms being too short, and no responsibility would be accepted for short arms.

yggdrasil Tue 14-Mar-23 07:36:00

That one has been on LBC for ages, and it really annoys me too!

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Mar-23 08:57:41

I’ve heard that ad (literally) hundreds of times too, and I’ve wondered what on earth they were talking about.
I honestly thought that I was missing something.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 14-Mar-23 11:16:36

Obviously you were missing the view, FannyCornforth - your arms must be too short too. 💪

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Mar-23 11:23:42

WIWYA I thought that it might be something akin to an ‘infinity pool’ - I don’t understand them either. confused

I honestly did think that a ‘touchable view’ was a thing. 😆

I suppose that I wasn’t prepared to accept that an ad that has been written (who on earth gets paid for writing this stuff!?) ; voiced; produced; edited etc can still contain such an absolute howler

grandtanteJE65 Tue 14-Mar-23 12:40:34

I am still giggling! Elegran, thanks for the laugh.

This ad is on par with the Language School, advertising years ago in a Danish newspaper.

The Language School claimed to teach you a new language , so you could speak it fluently in next to no time, but as it called itself Babel I had my doubts!