Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

The Scrabble Dictionary should be burned in my opinion

(21 Posts)
Aely Tue 31-Mar-26 18:39:36

I sometimes have a 3-way game of Scrabble with my daughter and an old friend. The old friend treats the Scrabble Dictionary as the bible but my daughter and I have problems with it.

The last game we played, old friend put the word "ET". We disputed it. He said "It's in the Scrabble Dictionary". It is. Doing a Google search we found it described as a "dialect" word which some people use instead of "ate". My daughter and I don't even consider it dialect. It's mispronunciation. My younger daughter used to call Spaghetti "Bisgetti". I have heard other chldren use it. Is that dialect? Perhaps it should be put in the so-called dictionary?

We finally compromised and agreed to accept ET on this one occasion as English usage in certain commonly used Latin phrases such as et cetera and et al.

The old friend frequently comes up with Scrabble Dictionary words purporting to be English for which we can find no definition although they are indeed in the abominable Scrabble Dictionary.

Cabbie21 Tue 31-Mar-26 18:49:53

At our Scrabble group one person has a Scrabble dictionary and asks her table if they are happy to use it. There is a separate list of two letter words in circulation, and we decide in advance whether to allow it or not.
When I play online, the computer uses words I have never heard of. It is really annoying, so I have tried inventing words ,to see if they are accepted. They often are.

Silvergirl Tue 31-Mar-26 18:52:23

I had to stop playing scrabble with my two younger daughters because they kept using words they had no idea the meaning of but they were almost always in this dictionary. I was playing with only "real" words out of my head. It wasn't enjoyable. Maybe I'm just a sore loser

AmberGran Tue 31-Mar-26 19:33:00

We use the dictionary as the Bible too - we think it's the only fair way to make sure we agree on what is acceptable.

I often come up with historical words that are meaningless now and DH has never heard of them, but they are often in the dictionary. DH knows words I don't know but so long as they are in the dictionary I have to accept them.

Allira Tue 31-Mar-26 19:38:29

Doing a Google search we found it described as a "dialect" word which some people use instead of "ate". My daughter and I don't even consider it dialect. It's mispronunciation.

It's not dialect and it is the correct pronunciation in Received English, but it is spelt ate.

Does anyone in the UK pronounce ate as in eight? That's American English. Perhaps younger people do.

The Scrabble dictionary is wrong and has spelt it wrongly.

MaizieD Tue 31-Mar-26 19:53:04

Allira

^Doing a Google search we found it described as a "dialect" word which some people use instead of "ate". My daughter and I don't even consider it dialect. It's mispronunciation.^

It's not dialect and it is the correct pronunciation in Received English, but it is spelt ate.

Does anyone in the UK pronounce ate as in eight? That's American English. Perhaps younger people do.

The Scrabble dictionary is wrong and has spelt it wrongly.

I pronounce it either way.

I don't care if one way is dialect, it's still spelled 'ate'.

Who compiles the Scrabble Dictionary?

Ilovecheese Tue 31-Mar-26 20:10:38

I have not enjoyed scrabble since the new dictionary was introduced

ixion Tue 31-Mar-26 20:50:50

We have always used Chambers as our Bible.

Aely Sat 04-Apr-26 12:19:10

I also pronounce ate as eight.

sodapop Sat 04-Apr-26 12:28:35

I found that when playing online Cabbie21 I'm often surprised which words are accepted.

Cressy Sat 04-Apr-26 12:30:34

Usually I pronounce ate as et but realised that when I used to read The Hungry Caterpillar to my children and grandchildren I pronounced it eight. 🥴

AuntieE Sun 05-Apr-26 16:05:40

Et is dialect - used in Derbyshire and possible Lancashire as well. So unless you are prepared to ban all dialect words, I think in fairness you need to accept it.

What do you do with words like bairn, wean, manky?

BlueBelle Sun 05-Apr-26 17:19:25

Ate is pronounce as eight I eight a plate of chips
I don’t say I et a plate of chips

And I m not American and don’t use American dialect

Elrel Sat 19-Sept-26 19:20:43

Oh dear, I am now unsure whether I pronounce ‘ate’ as ‘et’ or ‘eight’!

Elrel Sat 19-Sept-26 19:22:24

‘Et’ I have decided!

PamelaJ1 Sat 19-Sept-26 20:48:04

Every combination of letters is in that dictionary. Even foreign ones.
If you are playing in English then wine is correct, not vin! IMO

Elrel but do you spell et as et or ate when you are writing it?

Cabbie21 Sat 19-Sept-26 22:22:13

Even when I set online Scrabble to UK English, it still accepts American spellings eg flavor for flavour. Annoying.

Luckygirl3 Sat 19-Sept-26 22:26:22

Our version of scrabble includes double score for a rude word.
And when we were on holiday in France it was double for a afrench word ... and triple for a rude French word ... a feat that I once achieved!

Cultured lot in our family!

Fallingstar Sat 19-Sept-26 22:29:08

I play online scrabble and there are some very strange words accepted, so I just play around with the letters I have to see if I can come up with a combo that will be accepted online. As a member said upthread sometimes it works.

Fallingstar Sat 19-Sept-26 22:30:50

Both xi and xu are accepted words and high scorers.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 19-Sept-26 22:35:17

I have always pronounced ate as eight. Think it's the usual way in Scotland, as I've only ever heard English people (and only some of them) pronounce it as ett.