Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

The unnecessary use of the word 'like.'

(6 Posts)
fancyflowers Fri 28-Aug-26 15:39:32

The constant and unnecessary use of the word 'like' annoys me. It's mostly young people who use it ( although I have heard it from my sister-in-law).

Every sentence seems to be 'I was like....' 'It was like....'

When did this start? I can't remember people ever using it when I was young.

Astitchintime Fri 28-Aug-26 15:44:17

There is another thread on the use of that word fancyflowers……..maybe you didn’t ‘like’ that particular one??

fancyflowers Fri 28-Aug-26 17:34:52

Astitchintime

There is another thread on the use of that word fancyflowers……..maybe you didn’t ‘like’ that particular one??

Sorry, I didn't see it. I probably would 'like' it if I saw it.

Gwyllt Fri 28-Aug-26 18:36:39

I think like has become a fill in word while someone thinks how to continue. A bit like “You know “

BoggledMind Fri 28-Aug-26 19:23:10

People have been adding the word 'like' to a sentence or comment for years. It really is nothing new. "I'm like..." for example - I know people who said this decades ago. Also, in Liverpool, I recall people saying things along the lines of "you know what I mean like?" In fact, a Liverpudlian friend of mine regularly said it. This was 30 years ago.

Jaxjacky Fri 28-Aug-26 19:51:53

I remember a phase of people using ‘um’ as a filler/thinking word, equally annoying 😏