Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Had to share

(19 Posts)
sodapop Tue 08-Sept-26 16:41:00

I just came across this little gem on FB.

His actions just exasperated the situation.
The situation must be really annoyed. smile

Sarnia Tue 08-Sept-26 16:56:13

An English teacher would enjoy that one.
On our local FB page we have some right howlers in spelling, grammar and punctuation. My fingers itch to correct them but to do so would invite abuse. They usually spell swear words correctly.

AuntieE Sat 12-Sept-26 14:38:32

My heart goes out to that poor situation.

Margs Sat 12-Sept-26 18:17:34

sodapop

I just came across this little gem on FB.

His actions just exasperated the situation.
The situation must be really annoyed. smile

Ha! Ha!

Cossy Sat 12-Sept-26 18:51:13

Sarnia

An English teacher would enjoy that one.
On our local FB page we have some right howlers in spelling, grammar and punctuation. My fingers itch to correct them but to do so would invite abuse. They usually spell swear words correctly.

Hahaha The grammar and spelling is simply atrocious on some of the fb pages I follow. I have to literally sit on my hands, but on the very rare occasion I’ve dared to correct I’ve unleashed tirades of abuse, the like you’ve never seen before!

M0nica Sat 12-Sept-26 19:34:42

You need to have some feeling for why the mistakes are made. I have dyspraxia, better known in the past as clumsy child syndrome.

The problems it causes were best summarised by Morecambe and Wise, in their quip about one of them playing the piano 'All the right notes just not in the right order.

My head is an excellent speller, no problems with punctuation or syntax. Unfortunately there is a disjuncture between what my head is quite clear about and what my fingers would prefer to type. I can say out loud as I type - 1- 2- 3-4. My fingers will still type 1- 3- 2- 4. It follows, as night the day, that proof reading, as I usually try to do just clears most errors, only to introduce more.

petra Sat 12-Sept-26 19:42:09

Plus the fact that English is not the first language for billions of people.

Cossy Sat 12-Sept-26 19:45:46

M0nica

You need to have some feeling for why the mistakes are made. I have dyspraxia, better known in the past as clumsy child syndrome.

The problems it causes were best summarised by Morecambe and Wise, in their quip about one of them playing the piano 'All the right notes just not in the right order.

My head is an excellent speller, no problems with punctuation or syntax. Unfortunately there is a disjuncture between what my head is quite clear about and what my fingers would prefer to type. I can say out loud as I type - 1- 2- 3-4. My fingers will still type 1- 3- 2- 4. It follows, as night the day, that proof reading, as I usually try to do just clears most errors, only to introduce more.

Point taken flowers

Cossy Sat 12-Sept-26 19:46:33

But to be fair, this is “pedant's corner” flowers

Cossy Sat 12-Sept-26 19:47:45

And there am I, Loyd and proud, getting it wrong….

“Pedants’ Corner” thanks

Cossy Sat 12-Sept-26 19:48:22

Grrrrr Loud and proud! Best I go to bed Night night 😂🤣😂🤣

sodapop Sat 12-Sept-26 21:13:58

Why is it that Pedants Corner always attracts the same criticisms
Dyslexia
Second language etc
Surely mild amusement and irritation over grammatical errors is acceptable on this forum

grandMattie Sat 12-Sept-26 21:23:59

I’ve just received a text from someone offering to “Russell” up some coffee!
And a barrister announcing on the BBC that some of his defendants were very “articulated”…

Gwyllt Sat 12-Sept-26 22:22:36

Amusement if even mild is frequently at someone else’s expense If your are always on the receiving end the humour warred pretty thin especially if the recipient is not in a position to retaliate

MT62 Sat 12-Sept-26 22:25:15

Sarnia

An English teacher would enjoy that one.
On our local FB page we have some right howlers in spelling, grammar and punctuation. My fingers itch to correct them but to do so would invite abuse. They usually spell swear words correctly.

Thank goodness I don’t have a FB account. You would have a field day 😂

M0nica Sat 12-Sept-26 22:28:26

Gwyllt

Amusement if even mild is frequently at someone else’s expense If your are always on the receiving end the humour warred pretty thin especially if the recipient is not in a position to retaliate

Its not the amusement it is people getting exasperated because they cannot understand why I should have a text scattered with so many typos. However. i do not want to make a meal of it. it is a minor problem and exasperates me as much as it exasperates other people

MT62 Sun 13-Sept-26 22:27:41

It’s a good job my family/friends/ &work colleagues know of my problem with dyslexia.
I came on here a few years ago to try & build up my confidence.
I remember once, you said I talk such rubbish. Well my confidence took a nose dive after that comment 😞

MT62 Mon 14-Sept-26 10:40:03

MT62

It’s a good job my family/friends/ &work colleagues know of my problem with dyslexia.
I came on here a few years ago to try & build up my confidence.
I remember once, you said I talk such rubbish. Well my confidence took a nose dive after that comment 😞

Monica

M0nica Tue 15-Sept-26 12:15:17

MT62

It’s a good job my family/friends/ &work colleagues know of my problem with dyslexia.
I came on here a few years ago to try & build up my confidence.
I remember once, you said I talk such rubbish. Well my confidence took a nose dive after that comment 😞

I am sure many more people agreed with you than conurred with my opinion so why would your confidence nose dive after just one comment?

Our lives are full of both negative comments and praise and ^one treats those two impostors just the same^Kipling If