Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Diesel 184.9 a litre???

(14 Posts)
Margs Tue 15-Sept-26 11:25:41

Just back from Sainsbury. I didn't believe my eyes.

Back to horses and carts!

GrandmaKT Tue 15-Sept-26 11:58:40

I hate to say it, but that is cheap!
Diesel (B7) ranges from 183.9p to 209.9p per litre, with supermarket locations like Sainsbury's and Asda offering the lower end of the range.
It's 199.9 here in the Lake District!

David49 Tue 15-Sept-26 12:23:57

When the government puts a 50mph speed limit on roads to save fuel you all will take notice until then you just pay the extra. With the latest fighting in Yemen closing the Red Sea that could be sooner than we think.

Doesnt affect us we have an EV

Casdon Tue 15-Sept-26 12:37:29

The power cuts will affect you though David49, you’re not in the lifeboat. There isn’t one, until they sort this mess out between Iraq and Israel/USA.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sept-26 13:11:56

We are having to decide whether or not we can suck up the current fuel costs, put up our prices or add on a supplementary delivery charge until such time as fuel costs settle down.

It is rather difficult to be in business at the moment, whether or not Labour or any government could ease this I am not sure.

MawsRosie Tue 15-Sept-26 14:40:36

How does this fit into Pedants’ Corner ? Other than me being pedantic.

JamesandJon33 Tue 15-Sept-26 14:47:40

👏👏 I thought the same .

TwiceAsNice Tue 15-Sept-26 14:51:58

I didn’t notice the litre price at my local garage after I filled my car last week. I haven’t been able to drive for a while recovering from an operation. The last time I filled up on late May I paid £72 ( I have a Golf) . Last week I paid £84 so £12 extra in 3 months but if you want to drive and need your car what can you do?

moggiek Tue 15-Sept-26 14:57:11

Difficult as it is for individual diesel drivers, it will effect us all soon as our supermarket bills leap up.

AuntieE Tue 15-Sept-26 15:54:10

MawsRosie

How does this fit into Pedants’ Corner ? Other than me being pedantic.

Thank you Maw, I was wondering that too!

4allweknow Tue 15-Sept-26 17:24:28

When out today noticed petrol £1.69 a litre. Two weeks ago, it was £1.61 at the same petrol station. Couldn't believe it. Just think of the revenue Government is raking in from fuel.

David49 Tue 15-Sept-26 18:11:04

Casdon

The power cuts will affect you though David49, you’re not in the lifeboat. There isn’t one, until they sort this mess out between Iraq and Israel/USA.

We are 0K for the essentials with Solar and a battery plus a woodburner for heat and cooking.
Electricity will have to have priority imagine what chaos it's going to cause with widespread power cuts.

Casdon Tue 15-Sept-26 18:15:24

I know, and I’m prepared too, but if El Niño does kick in as some predictions are saying, and strong winds cut off power en masse, I hope everybody is. One advantage of a petrol car, assuming you keep it topped up, is that you can use the cigarette lighter to charge your power bank,

MT62 Tue 15-Sept-26 18:25:06

£195 our way cheapest I could find