Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Kindly

(7 Posts)
AuntieE Thu 24-Sept-26 17:12:46

Thank you kindly, sir she said,

Kindly has many uses. It can sound like a hidden reproof, but it can also be meant and understood literally, as in "She asked me kindly if I needed any help?"

valdali Thu 24-Sept-26 17:09:03

Is that a split infinitive Oreo? I'm thrilled if it is, I've never spotted one before!

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 17:04:22

Shouldn’t that be ‘Could I ask you to kindly not let your dogs do etc’ ?

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 17:02:35

Kindly unhitch your wagon from that star, buddy!
Ogden Nash 😁

Oldnproud Thu 24-Sept-26 14:17:37

Ive been mulling this over, and have to say that I dont have an issue with someone kindly asking /asking kindly for something

In actual speech, as opposed to the written words, we would usually put on a kindly or maybe even a humble voice if asking a favour, wouldnt we?
I just see it as a written version of that.

(That said, "Could I kindly ask you not to let your dogs do their business on my front lawn" would definitely not carry that friendly tone, whether in writing or speech!) 😃

I am totally in agreement with you regarding the wording of the invitation, though.

nanna8 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:22:11

Dunno. No one uses it down here. Sounds very formal.

Elrel Thu 24-Sept-26 12:46:43

I am seeing many examples of people ‘Kindly asking’ for items or services. They are not, they are asking for someone to kindly provide something for them.
I also had an invitation to a colleague’s home ‘by kind permission of Dave and Celia’. You surely only put that if you are not Dave and Celia but someone whom they have kindly allowed to use their house or garden for an event. 🙄