Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Pension Credit and Mixed Aged Couples.

(5 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 10:07:21

Mixed aged pensioners were mentioned on the thread telling us of the new heading. I will add the details I know but it would be great to see experience (I have none in this area) added.

Before 15 May 2019, a person who had reached the qualifying age and was a member of a “mixed-age” couple (a couple where only one partner has reached the qualifying age) could qualify for Pension Credit for themselves and their partner.

From 15 May 2019, a person who is a member of a couple cannot qualify for Pension Credit unless their partner has also reached the qualifying age, except in certain circumstances.

This change also applies to Housing Benefit for people who have reached the qualifying age.

There are exceptions. Mixed-age couples who were entitled to
*Pension Credit or
*pension age Housing Benefit or
*Pension Credit and pension age Housing Benefit on 14th May 2019 are exempt from the change provided they remain entitled to either benefit as part of the same couple.

If this condition ceases to be met after that date for any reason, or for any length of time, the new rules will apply, meaning that the couple will not then be eligible for Pension Credit or pension age Housing Benefit until both partners have reached the qualifying age.

Where a mixed-age couple is eligible to claim Pension Credit after 14th May 2019, the partner who has reached the qualifying age must be the one who applies.

Doodledog Sun 24-Oct-21 10:38:35

I assume the benefit is means tested? If so, does it take the income of both partners into account?

Unless one partner is caring for the other, I don’t understand why both would qualify if one is able to work. Carers allowances should be a lot higher, but if that doesn’t apply I am unsure why, say, a 40 year old should claim pension credit just because their partner is older. I may be missing something though- I don’t know much about it.

PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 11:11:07

It is means tested Doodledog.

The only people now receiving it are those who were already receiving it before May 2019. As a benefit, it will slowly disappear as the second person reaches pension age and no more claim it. That was the intention.

When the New State Pension came in, one of its aims was to reduce the number of pensioners who would need/be eligible to claim means-tested benefits. The structure described shows the phasing out of this particular one.

Couples culture was very different when the original benefit came in.

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 13:14:19

Mixed-age couples still receiving Pension Credit will lose it if there is any change in their claim.

This includes changes such as moving house, or if income changes (younger partners often have some earnings).

Even if such a change is temporary, all eligibility for Pension Credit will then end until the younger partner also reaches state retirement age

Daftbag1 Wed 02-Mar-22 13:32:10

This thread was ages ago, but in case anyone is looking for information. I thought that I would give my pennyworth......

My husband is 71 yrs old, I am 60. He is in receipt of a basic state pension plus £3 private pension.

I am in receipt of the higher rate ESA & enhanced PIP for both elements.

We lived in Kent where my husband made a claim for housing and council tax benefit, this was awarded and was dated back to 2013.

Last year we moved from Kent to Cambridgeshire, but were able to claim the housing benefit and council tax benefit despite the change because we didn't break our claim of benefit. So our old tenency terminated on 29th July, and we claimed Housing Benefit at our new address on the 30th. In other words we didn't break our benefit.

In addition, someone suggested that we make a claim for Pension Credit guarantee, this has been awarded at a rate of £10 per week but........we now get free dental care (except we have yet to find a dentist), free specs and a variety of other forms of help.

So it's always worth trying!