Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills

(42 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 15:21:35

I hope this helps sort out the different payment you may or should be able to get.

The Winter Fuel Payment. This is a benefit that goes to all who have reached state pension age.

Cold Weather Payments. These are one-off payments that are triggered by exceptionally cold weather for a set period. This is a means-tested benefit. Those on Pension Guarantee Credit should receive these automatically as do those on some other benefits.

The Warm Home Discount scheme is run by and funded by energy companies. They each have a core group which will include those on Pension Guarantee Credit so should mean that group get it automatically. Each company also has a "broader" group - not always the same. If your income is just above the Pension Guarantee level it would be worth applying.

jocork Tue 26-Oct-21 13:44:37

I used to get tax credits when I was working but when I claimed my NHS pension at age 65 that took me above the threshold. Being on tax credits qualified me for the warm home discount so I lost that too. Now I’m retired I’m just above the levels for pretty much everything benefits wise, but look forward to the winter fuel payment - not forgetting the magnificent £10 Christmas bonus! That was a surprise last year when I got it for the first time.

pooohbear2811 Tue 26-Oct-21 15:29:29

We are with Scottish Power despite not being pensionable age we qualify on low income grounds for the warmer homes discount of £140. Our annual spend is more than 10% of our income, we are well under the £16k.
A few years back they also offered free white goods as well. We got a new washing machine and freezer.

4allweknow Tue 26-Oct-21 16:59:28

At times I wonder just how those who do not qualify for any benefit and yet are only slightly above the rate survive, particularly elderly. In the cooker months we are told to stay warm, eat well and stay active. How are the extra costs supposedly to be met? There seems to be so many benefits eg DWP, energy cos, child allowance, child care costs, Scitkand awards £10 for every child under 6 going up to 18 eventually on top of all the usual allowances. Do older people exist in the UK?

4allweknow Tue 26-Oct-21 16:59:46

Sirry, Scotland.

Hymnbook Tue 26-Oct-21 17:12:14

The 10 pound Christmas bonus ought to be scrapped. I used to work for the post office and when it was first introduced it was worth something and the pensioners who received it were very grateful. I should imagine it costs more than its worth now to administer it. Scrapping it would claw a lot of money back that could be used elsewhere.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Oct-21 17:41:15

I never realised we get letter in October I ve not had any letter about winter fuel payment

Cabbie21 Tue 26-Oct-21 21:01:46

The letters are sent out over a period of time. Mine usually cones in early November but given that the DWP seems to be running late on many things, it may be later this year. ( Some people are still waiting for their state pensions to be paid).

songstress60 Wed 27-Oct-21 08:30:10

The winter fuel allowance should NOT be means tested because those who have small private pensions will not qualify for it any more. If you don't need it do NOT return it but donate it to a charity or the food banks, as there are lots or destitute people these days.

bikergran Wed 27-Oct-21 10:54:36

Riggie me too (their not satisfied with having kept over 5 yrs of my pension) they want to make me hang on till next year for my fuel allowance as well..greedy **&%$$££!!! s

JPB123 Mon 01-Nov-21 12:10:29

How do you actually speak to a person at British Gas? Anyone know the phone number,please?

MamaCaz Mon 01-Nov-21 12:20:58

www.britishgas.co.uk/contact-us.html

This is the British Gas number for energy-related matters: 0330 100 0056

I put the link in case you want to try 'Live Chat' instead. I haven't tried theirs, but with other energy companies, I have often found that a good way to communicate.

PippaZ Mon 01-Nov-21 13:41:53

I have my energy supplied by Eon and last week applied for WHD because I receive Pension Credit Gaurentee,I received a payment of £140.00 credited to my account this morning which surprised me as other years it has been mid March when I have received the credit. glammanana Mon 01-Nov-21 10:58:21 (Posted on the "Welcome" board and copied here).

glammanana if you receive the Pension Credit Guarantee, you should receive this Warm Home Discount automatically. The DWP send a letter telling you this. I have a feeling it is only sent out in the first year you receive PCG or the first year you go back on it if you come off and then returned. Those letters seem to be going out now, so I imagine the suppliers have also been notified of those who should get this automatically.

If you get Pensions Savings Credit or have a low income and high fuel use, you will need to apply each year as you are not in the automatic "Core" group.

biglouis Sat 05-Feb-22 10:16:39

I wonder just how those who do not qualify for any benefit and yet are only slightly above the rate survive, particularly elderly. In the cooker months we are told to stay warm, eat well and stay active. How are the extra costs supposedly to be met? There seems to be so many benefits ... Do older people exist in the UK

If you are an older person who has been provident enough to pay into a modest occupational workplace pension you will get screwed left, right and center. You will find yourself just above the income level where you can claim any kind of benefit. Whereas if you had been improvident and not saved a penny the state will sub you out and also allow you free prescriptions, glasses, dental care and lots of other handouts.

rosie1959 Sat 05-Feb-22 10:39:43

biglouis

*I wonder just how those who do not qualify for any benefit and yet are only slightly above the rate survive, particularly elderly. In the cooker months we are told to stay warm, eat well and stay active. How are the extra costs supposedly to be met? There seems to be so many benefits ... Do older people exist in the UK*

If you are an older person who has been provident enough to pay into a modest occupational workplace pension you will get screwed left, right and center. You will find yourself just above the income level where you can claim any kind of benefit. Whereas if you had been improvident and not saved a penny the state will sub you out and also allow you free prescriptions, glasses, dental care and lots of other handouts.

Not everyone had the benefit of a workplace pension modest or otherwise
Not everyone has earned enough to have the extra funds to pay into a pension the low paid the caregivers ect

BBbevan Sat 05-Feb-22 10:44:58

Exactly Biglouis we never qualify for anything. Next time around I’m spending all my money before I’m 65. Not going to save or buy a house.

paddyann54 Sat 05-Feb-22 11:58:19

4allweknow surely you dont grudge young families getting extra cash in these difficult times.The foodbank use has soared over the past two years and families who were just about managing are struggling now ,many have lost jobs because of companies closing .The Scottish government is right to help them if it means no wee ones need go hungry or be cold.The UK government should never have taken away the £20 "temporary" UC payment .It was a life saver for millions .
Have you checked if you are due any benefits you dont claim? Apparently there are millions lying unclaimed because folk dont know they can apply for them.Maybe check with Citizens advice and they'll see if theres anything you should be getting .