Gransnet forums

Pets

Elderly cat getting very thin.

(58 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 15-Apr-12 17:04:44

I don't think there's much to be done about this, but just wanted to ask if others have had the same experience.

The oldest of my mogs is suddenly looking very thin, and when we stroke her every bone in her spine and pelvis can be felt. She eats well, doesn't seem to be drinking excessively and seems ok in herself (still jumps up onto laps, the bed, sofa etc)

We adopted her 10 years ago, and she wasn't young then, we estimate that she is probably over 20!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 07-Jan-19 14:47:52

It's hell, isn't it, when they get to this stage?
As long as she's happy, give her extra food, perhaps see the vet and find out whether it is thyroid deficiency or something else.

In my experience, cats know when their time is up, and make it quite clear to us who love them when they have had enough. Like you, I hope she slips away peacefully when the day comes.

Lynne59 Sun 06-Jan-19 22:36:28

Elderly cats often get kidney failure, and they drink a lot. They also get an overactive thyroid (weight loss).

My little Stella had both, which were detected early enough to be treated - NOT by tablets, which I thought was too traumatic - but by a cream that was rubbed into the skin of her ear once a day, and a liquid which I squirted into her mouth once a day. The treatment cost approximately £80 per month, and she needed blood tests every 3 months.

She was very thin, all of her bones could be felt. She weighed 5lbs. She ate 4 pouches of food a day, plus biscuits. Some days she had fresh, cooked chicken for the 4 meals a day.

She had to be put to sleep last April, due to heart failure and general old age. She was approximately 18, possibly older.

The main thing is that your beloved cat is kept pain-free, warm, cosy and comfortable, in her old age. x

6dogs7cats Sun 06-Jan-19 22:20:04

My almost 18 yr old blind no longer going outside or using the litter box is practically skeletal. But seems to be eating and drinking normally and peeing and pooping as usual. I finally had to confine him in the bathroom. Because my dogs will eat up his food, the door has to be closed. I’ve put piddle pads everywhere and since I only have one indoor convenience which must be passed through to access the washer and dryer I’m in and out of there frequently so he’s monitored closely. I also take him out a couple times daily for social time. A couple of years ago another of my oldsters spent about 2 years in there. She was long haired with matting tendencies and was getting fiber supplements twice daily in her special wet food to prevent another blockage incident. Her diet caused cleanliness issues, both for her and the bathroom. Fortunately for my Gracy boy, he’s short haired. And no digestive difficulties despite my switching him to wet food in an effort to build him up a little which caused, well he’s back on kibble and otherwise back to normal except for his weight. In my experience, veterinary intervention is often fruitless, expensive, and stressful for the elderly cat. So my mo in the absence of any other sign of sickness is to focus on supporting their quality of life until they go or let me know I must act for them. I’ve had 2 who died peacefully in my arms and each time it was an incredibly powerful experience. I felt so connected to them and honored to be present. So
be present. I had one whose mouth cancer was preventing him from eating and I tube fed for months because I couldn’t bear the thought of putting my otherwise healthy beautiful 8 y o guy down because he couldn’t eat. But I did. Needless to say, I’m not thrilled about another long period having a permanent lodger I have to clean up after but I’ll do my best. I welcome comments and suggestions. I know some of will judge and I’m ok with that. I have too many animals but they’are all rescued and have a better home with me than the one they had before. They’re well fed and spoiled rotten. When they are sick or injured beyond my ability to handle I take them to the vet. I could tell lots more stories but...; I’m going to look into steroids but no daily injections. Done that too.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 14-Sep-18 16:08:14

I was able to crush up the thyroid tablets and get my cat to eat them that way, which both of us much preferred to the time-honoured method where you thrust it onto the back of the cat's tongue and hold his mouth closed until he swallows.

Sadly, the improvement didn't last long here, but Storm died peacefully, having enjoyed life up to practically the last minute.

Your cat isn't there yet, it sounds as if she is still enjoying life and your company, so have a word with the vet.

cloud9vetswn Fri 14-Sep-18 13:39:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 25-May-18 12:07:58

It just struck me today, but does she go out and hunt? If so, or even if she has fleas the loss of weight might just be due to intestinal worms.

I have just discovered the my Storm has round-worm and already three days after being wormed he is gaining weight again.

LynneB59 Tue 22-May-18 22:57:50

Your cat is really old... and she may well have an overactive thyroid, which is common in elderly cats (my own 17yr old was the same). A blood test will show that. If it is the case, then the vet can prescribe medication (my cat had a cream which I rubbed into the skin of her ear, once a day).

The question is - do you want to do that?

moggie57 Tue 22-May-18 13:41:59

could be a thyroid. but elderly cats do get thin. my gemma was 20 when i adopted her and towards the end she was very thin, but she ate huge amounts, she lived till she was 24 years (the oldest cat they had at the pdsa south croydon,) she was a happy little soul after the harsh treatment from previous owners)....still i would get your cat checked out for any underlying problems.

Willow500 Thu 10-May-18 19:55:23

The original post on this was in 2012 so it's very old and sadly I expect the poor girl has passed away now.

LynneB59 Thu 10-May-18 18:47:38

Your cat has probably got an overactive thyroid (common in older cats). My 18yr old cat Stella had that, for the last 4 years of her life (she was PTS a few weeks ago, due to heart failure) and she was very bony, only weighed 5lb

The condition can be treated. My Stella was prescribed a cream, to be applied to the skin of her ear, daily.

See your vet. It may even be Diabetes.

lummelhead Tue 08-May-18 09:26:26

Omg, this is so frustrating!First of all, if you think there is an issue with your cat, take her to the vet, regardless of her age. Some of these comments are outrageous - people essentially telling you to just give up and assuming the cat is on its way out...that's not only NOT helpful or good advice, but it's really unnecessarily negative. It doesn't matter how old your cat is - (and by the way, you don't really know how old he is - you've had him for 10 years but do you really think he was already 10 when you got him? That's pretty old. You could easily be wrong and he could be younger.) you have to give things a try. I just don't understand people who just jump to conclusions and expect the worst and don't even try to see if something could be done. I've had a number of elderly pets who had issues that were easily managed with medication - take your cat to the vet and see what the expert says. It could very well be something that is still treatable. Furthermore - for all those people saying that they couldn't bear to shove a pill down their cats throat - I think your cat would rather endure 2 seconds of pilling once a day if it meant another year or two sitting in the sun rather than dying of something that is easily treatable. What is wrong with you people? Don't you ever try for anything?! Pilling a cat is not that difficult. Get your vet to show you how if you need to give it medication. I know this is an old post and the cat has probably passed on by now, but the post still shows up when googled and I wouldn't want anyone with the same problem reading all these incorrect, misleading, negative responses. My god, doesn't anyone have any backbone or gumption?! (And elderly pets get skinny anyway - with or without medical issues.)

italiangirl Mon 02-Nov-15 09:05:50

I had an old cat who has just died I found gourmet pate for older cats and liquivte really useful .

Deedaa Sun 17-May-15 18:34:25

I think the time is getting close for our 16 year old, but she is enjoying the sunshine at the moment so I'll leave it a little longer.

Iam64 Wed 13-May-15 18:42:50

Our old rescue boy at 15 developed vestibulitis. It mirrors drunkenness evidently. Poor old lads eyes were flashing, he couldn't stand up and was vomitting. The other dogs were very distressed. 3 weeks, and a lot of money/treatment later, he was think as a pin and no different. We were being "reviewed" every couple of days at the vets. The night before he was p t s, I syringed liquid feed into his mouth, he dribbled it out. I syringed water, he dribbled it out, whilst making eye contact with me. I heard him tell me he'd had enough and reassured him, I'd heard him. The vet was wonderful with the dog and with me and mr i am, both of us in floods of tears after we'd held our much loved old dog as he died. Sometimes, it's the last loving thing you can do for your pet. Phoenix, I hope this post isn't distressing for you - I empathise flowers

rosesarered Wed 13-May-15 09:59:46

The kindest thing to do for any old cat who has stopped or virtually stopped eating is to have them put to sleep.Otherwise they simply starve to death even though food is on offer.I have had to do this a few times, and it's awful, but we shouldn't think of ourselves, just the cat.When they have kidney problems, the vet told me they want to eat, but everything tastes of urine to them.

bikergran Wed 13-May-15 09:41:02

so sad to hear all your stories about having to decide what to do and the best way for your pets..... I had to have my 2 cats put to sleep earlier in the year within 2 weeks of each other, that was 3 mnths ago,,but I still wonder where they are when I'm cutting he chicken up! sad they could hear the fridge door open no matter where they were or what they were doing it would be a mad rush who could get here first!
I have recently blocked the cat flap up...no moor furry friends for me now. If you have the chance to ease their pain or suffering then you must do what you think is best.

Jane10 Wed 13-May-15 08:56:34

Our Buddy became gradually very odd in his behaviour. The vet found that he had a brain tumour with cancerous secondaries throughout. Really not kind to try to keep him going. We were given a date for him to be put to sleep. This meant that we had 2 days to really spoil him and say goodbye. I can't say it helped. Those days were awful. When the deed was done at the vets we had to be shown out the back door as DH crying so much (and me). Suppose it would have upset the people in the waiting room seeing us in that state with an empty basket. So bobbojr don't feel bad. That was a lovely way for your cat to go.

Iam64 Wed 13-May-15 08:32:32

So sad Phoenix isn't it, to see our much loved pets decline. We love and care for them and all you can do is carry on doing that and enjoy your lives together. Our old rescue dog died 3 years ago and sometimes it feels like yesterday flowers

nigglynellie Tue 12-May-15 16:53:20

Our old cat became as described on here, and for her it was heart problems. Poppy aged 15 was literally skin and bone when we finally had to 'bite the bullet'. She was such an affectionate little puss, coming to us as a rather plain black and white kitten with a partially white face, sporting a black Hitler moustache!!! she had rather square backside, with a tail that curled inwards like a pigs!!! When she was very old her breathing periodically became difficult and on a fine day we would put her in a box and put it under our staddle stone, to make her breathing easier. She was a sweet girl and I still miss her 18 years later!

Deedaa Fri 08-May-15 21:00:53

Don't worry about it Jane10 my mother had a neighbour knocking on her door every day to tell her that her cat was starving and dying. Actually he was very old and enjoying himself sleeping in the sunshine! Went on like that for months and finally died of a sudden illness.

Our 16 year old is absolutely skeletal. She has tablets from the vet for her kidneys and is supposed to eat special food which she loathes. I've pretty much given up on the food now and gone back to the usual Whiskas and Felix. I know she's not going to make a dramatic recovery so I'd rather have her eating something she enjoys for the time she's got left.

whenim64 Thu 07-May-15 23:10:29

So sorry, bobbojr. We had a similar experience with our elderly cat who became thin and fragile, and died soon after. You've given her a nice life and shown how you cared for her. It's something we all dread happening, but when we love our pets that's what we have to cope with. Comforting to know she was at home flowers

bobbojr Thu 07-May-15 22:49:27

I came home today to find my Buttons Marie had passed while I was at work. I was both shocked and crushed. When I left her today she was in her fav window getting morning sun. I had given her a nice dinner last night in her window, she slept there last night. I petted her this morning before I left, I usually just say I love you all see you later. I am so thankful I petted her unknowingly saying goodbye. I am so heart broken. I covered her in her blanket, gave her a crucifix, said a prayer for her asking Jesus to take her to my Mom until I get there. This is so difficult.

Katek Thu 02-Apr-15 12:22:11

Sounds as if it could be kidney problems Phoenix, not a huge amount that can be done unfortunately, but steroid injection will definitely perk him up and give him a bit of an appetite back. Know what is meant by the fur thing-they start looking like a sheepskin rug that needs brushed and the fur sort of clumps together.

Jane10 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:52:16

Our old boy became extremely thin. He looked awful but was eating, sleeping etc just as he always did. We did take him to the vet but there wasn't anything he could find. He was just old. I'd never had a cat "put down" before and just wanted to let the old boy fade away in comfort at home. However, the next thing was a card through the door from the RSPCA saying that our cat had been reported as being cruelly treated! As if! I am the archetypal "cats mother"! The upshot was an embarrassing visit from an inspector who took one look at our other cats and could see that we were most certainly NOT cruel to ANY cat.
We'll never know who reported us. I don't think it could have been neighbours as they all know us. Possibly busybody parents on their way to pick up children at our local school? Our street is quite busy.
Later that year we did have him put to sleep- the first time I'd ever taken that decision. Very sadly not the last. Love hurts!

willa45 Thu 02-Apr-15 02:12:46

Our cat Sophie turned 21 last December. She's a long hair Norwegian Forest Cat and has lived indoors her entire life. Two and a half years ago she needed to get her teeth cleaned and needed sedation. I didn't think it was a good idea and so I refused. long story short, the vet wasn't happy and I haven't taken her back since. So here's the issue. She's gotten very thin even though she eats very well and even though she has slowed down over the years, she's reasonably happy. Because of her old age, and my 'falling out' with the vet, I've avoided taking her back.

Because she's gotten so thin I feel obligated to take her to the vet, but my gut feeling is telling me to just leave her be. I would rather take her only if she's unhappy. So, even if she has a "condition", I don't see the point of trying to find out what it is by poking her or putting her under more stress just to squeeze a few more drops from an otherwise very long, happy, well spent cat life. Am I wrong to think this way?