Gransnet forums

Pets

Not a proper pet but thinks he is...

(9 Posts)
GrandmaH Thu 18-Oct-12 11:32:44

I have a robin who thinks it belongs to us & I dont know why he/she is behaving so strangely.
If anyone knows why at this time of year a daft bird should flutter at the living room window & sit in the bush outsdie singing his/her head off all day I'd love to know.

We had this in the Spring with bluetits but I thought that they were attacking their own reflections & it was mating season. It stopped after a couple of weeks.
This daft bird does it all day long & I out a sucker type bird feeder on the outside of the window to stop it flying into the glass this worked for the bluetits). It sits there quite happily all day- eating the food- tapping on the glass & singing away.

I don't mind as it is very sweet & I don't even object to the messy window but I'd love to know the reason behind it.

The cats are going demented with frustration & the poor dog- who's basket in right under the window keeps looking up as if to say - 'Oh bog off & let me sleep'

Any ideas what it going on- I daren't open a window or I really think it would be in!
Hx

annodomini Thu 18-Oct-12 12:07:26

Is it defending its territory against its own reflection?

GrandmaH Fri 19-Oct-12 10:24:28

I really don't think so - that was my first thought but it seems very happy & sits there singing his ( I don't know if it is male or not) head off all day. He eats the food & he is just always there. He looks into the room with his head cocked & doesn't mind if I get very close to the window. He doesn't even seem fazed by cats on the window sill now.

It's very odd.

shysal Sat 20-Oct-12 16:36:18

I have been walking in woodland this afternoon and noticed that the robins were singing their hearts out, but surely it is too early to be trying to attract mates. I wonder what is going on.

shysal Sat 20-Oct-12 16:51:27

I did a Google search, which did not really explain the robin's behaviour, but both sexes sing most of the year round except during the moult, which will have just finished.
www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/robin.htm

GrandmaH Mon 05-Nov-12 14:16:49

He's still here & behaving just the same except he now waits in the hedge every morning singing away until I fill up his food- usually he starts at daybreak so he has to wait a while. A bluetit has started feeding too but he gets chased away if Bob the Rob sees him. I think he will be with us for the winter now. He has stopped flying into the window which is a relief- he just sits in the hedge or on the feeder.
I think he is just a very clever little bird who has found a way of getting his own food source. I am even looking at robin's nesting boxes now so maybe we will have a family next year.
The cats have decided they can't win & mostly ignore him now.
We are really quite fond of him now he is sort of part of the family looking in the window all day.

Anne58 Mon 05-Nov-12 14:34:54

With patience, it is possible to get robins hand tame.

jO5 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:03:49

Some birds mate all year round. Perhaps robins do. The singing would be to attract a mate, and the reflection fighting would be defending its territory.

We had one a few weeks back at the holiday cottage we were staying in. Doing just the same thing.

jO5 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:05:56

can have four broods a year!