Gransnet forums

Pets

My dog

(18 Posts)
roseyone Mon 24-Dec-12 13:18:31

I have a dog aged 7 since my hubby died 2 years ago he has been so clingy to me and hates it when I go out. I think its called separation syndrome. I am new to this GN site and wonder if anyone can give me advisethanks

roseyone Mon 24-Dec-12 13:26:24

I have a dog aged 7 since my hubby died 2 years ago he has been so clingy to me and hates it when I go out. I think its called separation syndrome. I am new to this GN site and wonder if anyone can give me advisethanks

Nonu Mon 24-Dec-12 13:37:28

I cannot really help you Roseyone , but welcome anyway , and enjoy smile

Ylil Mon 24-Dec-12 13:51:20

You can get pheromone thingies that plug in, they release mummy dog hormone smells which might comfort your dog when you have to go out. Or you could try leaving the dog for short times, come back in and make a fuss etc, making each time a bit longer.

Anne58 Mon 24-Dec-12 13:51:32

Welcome! I think one of the things that is recommended in these situations is making absences very short initially, and giving a lot of praise on your return, but could well be wrong!

whenim64 Mon 24-Dec-12 13:53:44

Hi roseyone. It's called separation anxiety, which lots of puppies have. It can be managed by giving lots of cuddles, putting things like a woollie that has your scent in his bed, leaving him a treat each time you go out of the door (do it assertively, or he'll pick up that you're anxious about him), return within a few minutes and gradually increase the time you're out. Leave something like a Kong rubber toy which you can put little treats inside, or smear peanut butter in it, as that will keep him occupied whilst you're out, too. Should work within a few weeks.

nanapug Mon 24-Dec-12 13:57:10

I am not an expert but there are some excellent books about this sort of thing. Personally I would start by leaving your dog with something of yours, such as an old jumper, for literally two minutes. (Actually go out of the front door and close it and come back in again two minutes later). I would do this twice a day for a few days and then move it on to four minutes and so forth. Also I know that when you come in you should not greet the dog at all for five minutes (as hard as it is). Then after five minutes of ignoring you can call your dog to you and make a fuss of him/her. Our dog was quite a stressed dog and we read the Dog Whisperer and it talks a lot of sense about taking the responsibility of being pack leader away from a dog. Please try and read it it is excellent. Our chap is much happier and contented now. Good luck xx

glammanana Mon 24-Dec-12 14:02:06

roseyone yes the short trip out is the answer I think,we where unsure when Barney came to us from the dog pound if he barked when left alone and we have been known to stand at the side of the front door for 20mins to hear if any disturbance from him but he was fine,he still makes a fuss when we come in but he can be trusted for 3/4 hrs now and sometimes has to be woken up when we arrive home to go for walkies.

HildaW Mon 24-Dec-12 14:10:16

DogsTrust have an excellent website that has lots of FAQs.....look them up and see what they say.

crimson Mon 24-Dec-12 14:43:07

I give my dog valerian tablets when she's stressed [get them from Dorwest herbs]. Could also try having a tv or radio on as well. And a pheremone plug in or collar [although the collars are expensive and have to be fitted by a vet]. Along , of course with all the behavioural things. I'm a great believer in crates as well, because they give a dog a 'cave' which is theirs and they feel safe in them [as long as they're not shut in]. Mine has a cover to it so it's really snug and cosy.

merlotgran Mon 24-Dec-12 21:07:25

Hello, Roseyone. Try buying another collar which is completely different from the one your dog normally wears. Put it on when you are going out (make it the last thing you do before going out the door). Put the normal collar back on as soon as you return. The dog will soon realise that changing the collar means you're going out but you will soon come back and put the normal one on again.

Deedaa Mon 24-Dec-12 21:42:02

Certainly think the pheremone thingy is worth trying, we've found them very effective when we've had problems with the cats and my daughter used to use one to help her dog who was terrified of fireworks.

roseyone Thu 27-Dec-12 18:34:11

Thank you everyone for the responses you have gave to me. I think I will try the pheremone thing will I be able to buy on from Pets at Home or a shop like a pet shop. Thanks once again.

crimson Thu 27-Dec-12 19:28:55

Manor Pharmacy are usually cheaper than pet shops. I was wondering though why it was only after you were on your own that this started to happen. Changes in routine perhaps? Or maybe the dog senses your sadness and is very protective of you?

yogagran Fri 28-Dec-12 21:33:49

Just caught up with this thread and I agree with nanapug regarding the book "The Dog Whisperer" by Jan Fennell. It makes a lot of sense and is well worth reading. Good'luck

roseyone Tue 01-Jan-13 12:28:17

Crimson I think you may be right as Defa was never left alone my hubby took him everywhere with him and when I cry (which is often) defa senses it and snuggles up to me. I am pleased I may have got the answer but it makes me going out hard to bear as I am always anxious to get back home . Am I sad or what !!!!

crimson Tue 01-Jan-13 13:19:21

But if you're worried about going out the dog will sense it; bit of a catch 22 situation. Do think a dap diffuser will help [wonder if they make them for people hmm could do with one myself!]

picasoflake Thu 07-Feb-13 01:46:40

I love dogs and my dog do sea surfing..