Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat fleas

(72 Posts)
medic Sun 22-Sep-13 13:24:08

This year, for the first time ever we have a cat scratching all the time and dropping fleas that bite us! We gave him a flea killer tablet and he went berserk. He is always hypersensitive to perfume. hairsprays etc. I have put flea powder on the carpets and hoovered after 30 minutes and bought a tooth comb to catch the fleas but flea eggs must be hatching - a dreadful problem.

peachlili Fri 02-Nov-18 09:37:46

Some cats are really sensitive to chemical means to fight fleas. It can cause different unpleasant side effects so It's better to use natural remedies. Those insects can be scared off with the scent of such plants as peppermint, basil, wormwood, tansy, garlic. Cats don't like the smell of garlic too but it's better than pills. Herbal and citrus sprays are good repellents as well. Here is the article with all the methods of fighting fleas, both chemical and natural. All advantages and side effects are described there.

Lynne59 Mon 22-Oct-18 20:36:26

My cat has always had stuff from the vet. 3 different vet practices I've been to (with other cats too) said that they don't sell or recommend Frontline as the fleas have become immune to it.

You need to treat the house. Indorex spray from a vet is good.

You need to do:
the cat's bedding, carpets/rugs, skirting boards, cushion or anywhere that your cat goes on.

ruddycoly Mon 22-Oct-18 16:00:19

Try to find time to visit vet. Fleas could be a cause of other diseases.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 29-Sep-18 15:04:09

I find frontline no longer works, our fleas have apparently become resistant to it. Bayer, who make frontline, also make a similar spot on product marketed her in Denmark and in Germany as Advantage. The name rather points to it being intended for the English speaking market.

Put a piece of a flea collar or flea powder into the paper bag of your vacuum cleaner - this helps to kill fleas you vacuum up.

Wooden, concrete, tiled floors can be washed in a solution of soap and ammonia or vinegar. If you are using ammonia, put the cat out or into another room first.

Any clothing, chair covers, bed linen etc that can be washed on the hottest possible cycle should be as fleas jump, as we all know, and may well be lurking in the sofa or your bed.

Fur lined slippers etc. will attract fleas too. Put them wrapped in plastic into the freezer and leave overnight.

Good hunting!

JanP72 Wed 26-Sep-18 17:49:28

Hi, re foggy bombs: you can buy them from most large pet stores. They are an aerosol type tin, and can be bought as a single or double pack. You need to vacuum everywhere, and make sure no animals are in the room, and especially not fish tanks. You click the top of the tin and it actives a spray that goes straight up in the air. The instructions with the pack says they'll kill active fleas, larvae and eggs in the room used. Obviously you have to shut the room up and leave it.... can't remember exact time, but instructions are clear.
I used to have 4 cats, that were very friendly with every other cat within a mile radius, so fleas were a problem. It doesn't matter how careful you are, the little devils will bag a lift on the cats. Foggers were a Godsend for us. I bought 4 and did every room the cats went in...... have to admit I got a bit obsessed. We now just have 1 puss left, but no fleas.smile

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Jun-18 13:27:43

Oops, sorry, I see I have repeated myself!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Jun-18 13:25:36

Our fleas have become resistant to frontline, but Bayer who makes it also makes a similar thing called Advantage and it is working very well indeed, (fingers crossed).

Vacuuming yes, but it isn't the whole answer. Anything that can harbour fleas and which can be washed should be washed in as hot water as it can stand. I add ammonia to the water when I wash our varnished wooden floors.

I have tried the business of combing cats with a nit-comb and drowning the fleas, but it is a good deal easier to try a different make of spot-on treatment, until you find one the fleas are not resistant to.

LynneB59 Tue 05-Jun-18 22:33:25

I've had cats all my adult life - certainly since I was 21 (38 years now)and only once ever had a problem with fleas. You need to use effective stuff on your cat - mine has a prescription treatment from the vet, as vets are now saying that the usual over-the-counter stuff like Frontline (I always used to use that) is no good as fleas are immune to it now.

You also need to treat the house. A good spray is INDOREX. The skirtings, carpets, rugs, and anywhere that your cat sits or sleeps (settee, bed, blanket, etc) all need to be sprayed. Fleas jump off the cat, lay their eggs in those different places, get back onto the cat (the host), and the eggs can remain dormant for ages. When they hatch, any passing host (your legs, the cat, any other pet, etc) will be bitten.

Bayne Tue 05-Jun-18 20:02:21

I learned first hand a few years ago that getting rid of fleas is no easy task. It sounds simple enough, but the problem is they have a tendency to keep coming back.

After 20 years of owning pets I’d never had to deal with them before. So I went to the store, loaded up a bunch of flea products and got to work. After each treatment I’d let out a sigh of relief thinking they were finally gone, and yet a few days later the fleas would be back.

The products I tried only offered temporary solutions, they weren’t getting rid of fleas for good. Don’t let yourself fall into that same trap. In this article I’ll share with you what works for getting rid of fleas, what doesn’t, and why fleas are so tricky to get rid of.

www.wikifleas.com/2018/05/6-easy-natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-dog.html

www.wikifleas.com/2018/06/Top-6-Effective-Flea-Treatments-for-dogs.html

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-Jul-17 16:47:24

I'm a fan of frontline too, as flea collars only work on small cats. On large cats the fleas just move away from the collar. Frontline also prevents ticks.

Remember that fleas can survive quite happily inside the vacuum cleaner, so empty it as soon as you have finished your very thorough cleaning spree.

I have found the fleas unfortunately can lay their eggs in the cracks between floor boards, so wash them in hot soapy water and or ammonia and water.

Anything that can't be washed in the way of cushions, clothing can be wrapped in a plastic bag and put in the freezer overnight.

Please be very careful what you buy of sprays etc. as unless they are specifically stated to be suitable for homes with cats, you risk killing the cat instead of the fleas. Cats are apparently much more sensitive to chemicals than dogs.

I have found washing wicker baskets in warm water just as effective as spraying them.

If you are really desperate, you can try combing the cat with a nit comb and drowning the fleas you catch in warm water. I hesitate to suggest bathing the cat - I know the chemist sells shampoo for cats, but the only person I have ever known who bathed his cat was severely bitten by the cat for his pains.´

When I used flea collars, I cut a snippet off the new collar and put it inside the vacuum cleaner to kill fleas that were vacuumed up. It seemed to work quite well.

John123john Wed 19-Jul-17 16:27:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

John123john Wed 19-Jul-17 16:25:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nelliemoser Sun 11-May-14 09:18:27

You did write advocat, but it really had me wondering there for a few moments.

Iam64 Sun 11-May-14 08:16:56

Oh sorry nellie - you are 'spot on'. We had a family get together here yesterday to celebrate a number of positive events. I must have been just a tad tired when I posted! My gran always had Advocat in her cupboard, and we children were given a tiny amount to toast special events. Having all the family here yesterday must have had me back in 1954…..

Nelliemoser Sat 10-May-14 09:30:15

Iam64 Please reassure me it is Advocat and not Advocaat you meant.

I was really puzzling for a moment about why you were putting "A traditional Dutch alcoholic beverage made from eggs, sugar and brandy." over your cat to ward off fleas. grin

shysal Sat 10-May-14 08:30:05

Number, I use Profender on my cats, but it is a spot-on preventative for worms!
I am interested to hear recommendations for Advocat, might try that next time, although Frontline Combo seems to do the trick at the moment. I warm up the pipettes in my bra so that the liquid is at body temperature when applied, so usually they don't shoot away before I have finished. I turned up for my last breast screening with a forgotten dose in my underwear, leaving the imprint visible - we had a good laugh! blush

Iam64 Sat 10-May-14 07:56:35

Oh No number please. That confirms those of us who use Advocat monthly are probably doing the best we can. Good luck with your mission.

numberplease Fri 09-May-14 21:36:15

A district nurse once told me that they can live for up to 2 years without feeding, in cracks between floorboards, horrible thought! Tonight I got 2 more bites, from 2 separate fleas, in the garage, where the washing machine is, so now we`ve sprayed the garage with fly spray. And tomorrow I`m on a flea spray mission in town.

Iam64 Fri 09-May-14 19:50:27

I remember being advised to keep up the hoovering/cleaning regime, and re-use any furniture treatments again in a month. Is it true that flea's can live for 3 months without feeding, or is it an urban myth?

numberplease Fri 09-May-14 17:44:54

Well, for some reason, and I`ll probably be proved a liar soon, I`ve not seen a flea, or had a single bite today. Last night, before going to bed, I sprayed the floor in front of my chair, plus the footrest, with fly spray, then on the way upstairs I sprayed the stair carpet, then this morning I sprayed our bedroom carpet, plus the bed itself. Don`t know if that`s why, but, fingers crossed, still no more bites.

Nelliemoser Fri 09-May-14 14:42:38

I had this in a flat, our cat had been sent off to my parents while we were away on a work placement for a few weeks, when we returned for a weekend the fleas were desperate for a feed and jumping everywhere.
We used an insecticidal powder on the carpets then.

I have no idea what is was but it seemed to work. This was back in the early 1970s. Something like Malathion and I think carbaryl, nasty chemicals both.

There was no such thin as these spot on animal flea prevention measures in those days.

I do wonder what hit then next tenants after we moved out with the cat.
Wicked grin

Aka Thu 08-May-14 22:21:11

I too use a multi spectrum flea, mite, wormer, for our dogs. I think it's Advocat too (or something like that). It's expensive, about £30 per pack but that does 3 treatments. Never had a problem, yet.

numberplease Thu 08-May-14 21:26:20

Unfortunately, the "bombs" aren`t an option for us, our daughter sleeps downstairs in the front room, and I have to get up several times a night for the loo, which is downstairs, plus the possibility of Mia needing her litter tray. And if we do it during the day, it`s not possible for us all to vacate the house for several hours as daughter is disabled, and hubby isn`t able to drive right now. What is Profender?

Iam64 Thu 08-May-14 19:03:13

I grin of support for tallboys post.

I share the concerns about the strong chemicals used. However, 30 years ago I came home from holiday to find the rug in the hall and carpets in the sitting room jumping. A friend had been feeding my cat, it was a warm Easter, and the fleas loved it. I followed the approach Tellboy suggests. Since then, my dogs/cats have been treated with anti flea stuff prescribed by the vet. It's expensive, but worth every penny. Our vet isn't prescribing Frontline because fleas are becoming immune to it. I think our current stuff is called Advocat. You simply pop a spot in the animals neck, once a month and never see a flea again. Even cats would accept this, as it can be done so quickly. My dogs, inevitably, see it as a treat, as it means human contact. They line up on flea night!
Good luck medic - I sympathise

TriciaF Thu 08-May-14 18:30:03

Are you sure they're fleas? Have you seen them?
If so you need to treat the whole house, as well as the animal that you suspect is carrying them.
This involves vacuuming all soft furnishings including carpets and mats. Burn the contents of the vac. You might have to burn mats (we did.)
Then set off a "bombe" in each room that's affected. We got them from the vet's. Do it at night before you go to bed because the room needs to be closed off for several hours.
It's a nightmare, hope never have to do it again.