Gransnet forums

Pets

Millie has cancer.

(125 Posts)
nigglynellie Thu 27-Feb-14 10:25:08

Yesterday Millie our 11 year old cocker spaniel was diagnosed with a malignant growth in her bottom jaw! As you can imagine OH and I are extremely upset at this very unwelcomed news. The vet seems to think that Millie has about 6 months left before things get too much for her. I was wondering if any one else has had this problem and how they coped with it.

nigglynellie Fri 09-May-14 18:44:12

I haven't been on this thread for a while now but I have ventured on here tonight. We have been without Millie for two months now, and it IS a little easier. I still talk to her (batty old bag!!) and today planted some violets, a primrose plant and a lavender bush on/near her grave, and gave it a bit of a tidy!
I am SO sorry Jen about your lovely Cassie, and your lovely lab Iujaha. hugs. We had a black cocker when I was a child and that developed mammary cancer (the growth DID burst.) which eventually claimed her life and I can remember how it was the one of two occasions that I remember my S.Father being reduced to tears (the other time was the death of my mother). Millie's death has been awful, I can't pretend otherwise, but we tell ourselves that we were so lucky to have had her and all the love and happiness she gave us.

lujaha Mon 05-May-14 13:47:58

My crossbred black lab had a tumour removed last year and the vet said it will probably come back as there is no chemo for dogs yet. She is only 8 and the insurance company did not want to know. Even so I don't think I would put her through all that distressing treatment anyway. Its the quality of life that counts. I know my girl is on borrowed time so I try to make the most of every day and try not to be too sad as the dog knows when you are upset. She will tell you when she has had enough. I know exactly how you feel.

jen4321 Sun 13-Apr-14 17:21:29

Hello Nellie, I lost my lovely Cassie to Cancer in the Mamory Gland,
Its been three years now.
The vet diagnosed a lump in her under body, said it was cancer, that she may have twelve months at best to live.
I decided to get as much information on that particular cancer, from other dog owners with it, and there experiences of operating and not having it operated on.
This was in relation to the quality of life she could expect and the successful outcome of any operations.
Her age was eleven.
Based on the above info and my knowledge of my lovely girl
I decided to spend as many good days as we could together, and try to catch IT before it got to her too bad. It continued to grow slowly.
Aproximatly Three days before the vet deemed it would Burst and there would be nothing I, or he could do for her. She was still eating and wanting to play, she didn't want to go and I didn't want to let her go but the horror of her demise within hours forced my hand.
I had her put to sleep. ( I will not go into that ) I have her Ashes in a tiny natural casket , waiting for me to let her go finally, I think it will be sometime this year. don't know if anything can help in this situation, but if it does then I am glad. be brave.

Deedaa Tue 01-Apr-14 20:40:40

It's over 9 years since our dog died - and he didn't even live with us, he lived with our daughter - but I do miss that lovely cold nose being shoved into my hand when he wanted something.

Tegan Tue 01-Apr-14 13:09:43

There's always the one dog or cat that, no matter how much you love the others is 'the special one', isn't there sad. We had an old pony for years and the only way I can deal with her loss is to put her in a compartment of my brain that I can seal off most of the time. Can't do that with dogs and cats because they are part of the fabric of your home and their presence remains long after they've gone.

nigglynellie Tue 01-Apr-14 12:45:00

Tegan, It is SO tough, and it is the luck of the draw. Our old cocker that we had when I was a child was just short of her 14th birthday and really on her last legs, and perhaps a bit overdue, it's always so hard to tell when it's just old age. My mother used to say that 'if you can't bear to lose them then you mustn't have them, because they are (all things being equal) not going to out live you', and even if they do, what happens to them when something happens to us? As I've said I loved all my dogs and mourned them when they've gone, but somehow Millie was the one that captured our hearts completely - maybe because we are older, and she was the first dog we had that was OURS, as opposed to a family dog. I don't think that I shall be doing this again!

Tegan Tue 01-Apr-14 12:08:08

I know what you mean about the age nellie.Just not quite old enough. May not be a comfort to you but I have had two spaniels that lived to be 14 and by the time they died they had become blind, deaf and incontenent so I didn't really miss them when they'd gone as they'd become very hard work to look after. The one that broke my heart was only 6 when she died sad. I have resolved to enjoy every day with Hattie now as I've realised that she won't be with me forever.

shysal Tue 01-Apr-14 09:46:09

flowers and (((hugs))), Nellie

nigglynellie Tue 01-Apr-14 09:24:53

Thank you for your kind words. Yes I know it is still early days and in time good days will outweigh bad ones. We both know that we did the right thing for Millie, so at least neither of us feels guilty at the thought of 'too early or what's worse. too late'. We knew that at 11 we were getting to the time when we had to face losing her through old age, but we did hope to have her for about another 18 months, perhaps a bit longer if we were lucky, but there you go, we were lucky to have had her at all, she was such a sweet little dog and will never be forgotten.

whenim64 Tue 01-Apr-14 07:19:46

I used to miss that presence wherever I was in the house. Dogs are such loyal friends, aren't they? I was going through some very old photos a few days ago and found some of my grandmother's dog, who I adored. I didn't know the photos existed - they were in a box from my parents' house that I must have overlooked. 60 years on, I can still remember what that lovely dog's hair felt like and his habit of rolling over for a tickle as soon as I stroked him.

You'll have happy memories, nellie, and fewer bad days in time flowers

Deedaa Mon 31-Mar-14 21:15:38

Some of them have such big characters that they leave an enormous hole don't they? I hope the good days start to out number the bad - but it will take time flowers

nigglynellie Mon 31-Mar-14 18:41:07

Well here we are three weeks since Millie died and although we are learning to live without her, it has been very hard - good days and bad ones, and I think today has been bad. I've always loved and been upset over my other dogs, but this little maid just took my heart (and OH's) as she was just such a sweet tempered girl who you could do anything with, teeth cleaning, paw inspection, ears, bathing, nothing made her cross or difficult; also she was a great talker, trying to join in ours and other peoples(!) conversations with her particular way of interjection, at times having to be told to stop interrupting!! The place seems so silent without her. I suppose time WILL make it better, but at the moment it is being a struggle.
Sorry to be a bore, and I hope all is well with owners and pets on this thread.

Tegan Thu 27-Mar-14 16:40:45

Thanks soop. I don't think it's too bad. It's far worse when, like nellie it's sudden and it all happens very quickly. My last whippet lived for several years after being at deaths door at one stage. She's more the S.O's dog than mine, although now I've retired it's the first time I can remember actually having time to enjoy a dog. Have never before had only one dog, either so, when things have been bad with one I've always had the other to think about.

soop Thu 27-Mar-14 16:09:53

Tegan I can well imagine how you must be feeling. You will of course do your best for her. I can sense your pain. Please keep us updated. (hugs) from me to you. x

Tegan Thu 27-Mar-14 16:06:12

It was the vet that kept telling us it was nothing to worry about sad. They're phoning me back later to give me more info; I was too shocked to ask questions last night. Going to switch her to a grain free diet with turmeric and get her a uv coat as being on the beach a lot could have been a factor.

soop Thu 27-Mar-14 14:51:40

Tegan thinking of you. sunshine

nannyfran Thu 27-Mar-14 14:17:42

Could be, good thing you've got a good vet. Keep us posted.flowers

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 20:51:17

Thanks nannyfran. You know, we only decided to have it done so she could have her teeth cleaned at the same time. She's absolutely fine but desperate for a good run. Must say we were surprised at the size of the scar given that initially the vet said it was just a small job; wonder if she was suspicious when she looked at it?

nannyfran Wed 26-Mar-14 20:32:41

Glad the vet says she'll be fine, how has she been since last Tuesday? I hope she's back to her normal self. As to taking her sooner, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and all that!We all want to avoid putting our loved ones through unnecessary stress and when they can't tell us how they're feeling it's very difficult.
Give her a cuddle from me.

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 19:08:37

Lab tests have come back as spindle cell carcinoma but vet says they took a large area out so she should be ok. Wish I'd had the lump taken out sooner now [so much for me not, for once, going into pessimist mode]. Should be ok, though.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Mar-14 19:43:52

Thanks nannyfran.

nannyfran Tue 18-Mar-14 16:09:27

So glad your dog is fine, Tegan and I hope the lab tests come through soon and put your mind at rest.
Niggly, I really feel for you, it's over a year since we lost Jess and I still can't get used to the house without her. Sorry, that sounds very negative and it does get easier, but your bit about the night time wees really brought it all back. She used to show us where the hedgehogs were if any were about, and had other little rituals that we miss.Instead of Markies, Jess had a small bit of cheese or a gravy bone. I'd almost forgotten the last bit and am glad to be reminded of the good bits, so thank you.
Take care and big hugs.

Tegan Tue 18-Mar-14 13:51:45

..phone call from vets; pick her up after 4, she's absolutely fine. Just got to wait for lab tests but they're pretty sure it's a cyst and nothing sinister. Phew; must admit I didn't sleep much last night.

Tegan Tue 18-Mar-14 12:08:40

Thanks nellie. I'm sure she'll be fine.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Mar-14 11:44:46

Do hope your dog is ok Tegan, it's always a worry, and a relief to get them home - hugs and X's for your little dog.