Gransnet forums

Pets

my darling cat is very ill.

(41 Posts)
etheltbags1 Wed 22-Oct-14 22:31:24

our darling cat has lost weight over the last few weeks and the vet took lots of blood tests with no conclusion, I was told to feed her up and take her back in a few weeks. Over the last few days she has become ill and has had to be hospitalised today, they have done numerous tests but again nothing to show. Her paws are swelling up with water (oedema) and she is listless off her food. They put her on drip as she is dehydrated and her kidneys are affected but not enough to make her feel so ill.
Has anyone had a cat with these symptoms. The vets could not have been kinder or more efficient but her symptoms are puzzling. they are doing heart tests tomorow.
I am so upset my animals are my life, apart from DD and DGD. I wont sleep until I can ring vet tomorrow.

Eloethan Mon 27-Oct-14 00:08:07

ethelbags I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.

nannyfran Sun 26-Oct-14 14:53:09

I have read that cats do not like their water bowl in the same place as their food. My DS's cat didn't drink much until I mentioned this, but was much better after they moved the bowls apart. Our 2 will drink indoors, but in true pet tradition, prefer to find a muddy puddle or old contained outside!
I agree about vet's bills Ethelbags, I think most of us would gladly go without for the sake of our pets, and as to boring us, it's the last thing people feel, I'm sure. We all just feel great sympathy for you.

nightowl Sun 26-Oct-14 10:17:05

Oh Marelli, I'm sure we all blame ourselves for things that happen to our pets. There are some things that I feel responsible for and can't even bear to think about let alone speak about, even though some of them happened many years ago. I think we all do what we think is best and it's so hard to ignore a vet's advice. Don't get me wrong, I always listen to their advice on treatment, but experience has taught me to understand that they don't know everything.

Sorry if I have strayed too far from the OP. I was picking up on the fact that etheltbags said she was reconsidering her other cats' diet after what happened to poor Lily.

Marelli Sun 26-Oct-14 09:35:45

I was advised to give Lucky, my cat that had to be put to sleep a couple of years ago, Hill's Science Plan Oral D, due to the fact there was a build-up of tartar on his teeth and this would help avoid him having to have an anaesthetic to remove it. Nevertheless, he did have to have two ops for this and after the last one, when he had to have a tooth removed, he developed kidney failure. I now have Daisy, another rescue cat, and feed her wet food and dry food. She eats both and drinks well. I can't stop thinking about if I'd not given him the dry food....though he was a good drinker of water - not out of his bowl, though - it had to be running out of the bathroom tap.

numberplease Sun 26-Oct-14 00:16:08

So sorry for your loss Ethelbags, we lost our beautiful Pepper just over 2 years ago, but not to illness, he was run over. We said no more, but after only a month we brought our lovely Mia home from the Cats Protection League, not to replace Pepper, but as a tribute to how much he meant to us. I won`t give her the dry food, as she never drinks any water, not in the house anyway, we feed her on pouches with jelly. Hopefully you`ll have a few more years with your 2 remaining furry friends.

nightowl Sun 26-Oct-14 00:08:31

It makes me so angry that vets continue to push dry cat food, despite the health risks. Vets are not experts in pet nutrition, and they have a very unhealthy relationship with the pet food multi-nationals.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244595/Is-food-youre-feeding-pet-killing--making-vet-rich.html

newist Sat 25-Oct-14 23:27:31

etheltbags1 I am so sorry to read about your loss, we get so attached to our pets. If it gives you any comfort, your puss was so lucky to have you to care for her, so try to think of all the love you have given each other flowers

Agus Sat 25-Oct-14 23:15:38

I'm so sorry Lily had to be put to sleep ethel. It's such a heartbreaking experience having to go through this with our beloved pets. flowers

Ana Sat 25-Oct-14 23:00:06

I agree with you, ethel, that we must do our best for our pets if we choose to have them in our homes and insurance is a must. It's no good just hoping for the best.

I feel for you at this sad time.

etheltbags1 Sat 25-Oct-14 22:24:54

I rescued her from a sewer where the mother had her 3 kittens, I just could not get at the other two as the mother was fighting me, I got my hand injured but managed to get Lily into the car. I had to get a tetanus but it was worth it, I fell in love with one of the most beautiful cats ever.
She was so tiny she slept in my slipper and as she grew, if I left a pair of slippers side by side she would lie with her paws in as if she was wearing them.
Now 11 years later with many photos and memories she is gone, I originally had 4 cats, I lost my little dumpling 4 years ago with a heart attack but I knew that any day she could go so I was prepared. I always thought that Lil with the toughness of a feral would last the longest.
Now Im left with two, a 13 year old and 10 year old. I just hope they don't leave me soon.
I have a friend who was a bit scornful of me running up a huge vet bill (most covered by ins thank goodness)but I feel that we must do our best for them, they don't ask to be our pets, we choose them and we must see it through to the end no matter what it costs. My friendship with that person is now minimal.
sorry if ive bored you all, thank you for listening. and thank you again for all the lovely words. xxx

Deedaa Sat 25-Oct-14 21:12:13

I'm so sorry ethelbags 1 You must miss her so much! I hope the others will be a comfort to you. My old lady seems to have kidney problems but is steadfastly refusing to eat any of the special foof the vet recommends or to take her medicine!

Thistledoo Sat 25-Oct-14 19:41:31

So sorry to hear your sad news Ethelbags1. I really feel for you, loosing such a loved cat is devastating. I was in bits after loosing my last beloved cat and of course decided never to have another cat. Guess what I now have a beautiful British shorthaired boy who is now 18 months old. But a day never passes when I don't think about my beloved Panda. As for feeding, I tend to feed pouches, a little poached fish and a dish of dried food down all the time for snacks, this seems to meet with approval by my vet.
Be kind to yourself and give time to grieve for your darling puss.flowers

annsixty Sat 25-Oct-14 18:58:30

Ethel I have only ever had one cat, bought for my teenage son and just guess who adopted her and loved her to bits? When she started with kidney problems and diabetes in her teens we took the difficult decision to have her put to sleep.It took me weeks and weeks to get over it and I remember her with so much love today. I am pleased you have more loved cats to comfort you,I could never have another after that.

MiniMouse Sat 25-Oct-14 18:41:38

Oh I'm so sorry Etheltbags I went through exactly the same thing in August. It's the unexpectedness, isn't it?

Last Saturday we adopted a new little friend and are besotted, though we still miss our previous cat like mad.

nannyfran Sat 25-Oct-14 18:14:53

I'm really sorry Ethelbags1, having been through it all several times I know it doesn't get any easier. I'm glad you still have your others and hope they give you some comfort.

tiggypiro Sat 25-Oct-14 17:48:45

So sorry to hear your news Ethelbags1. It is never easy saying goodbye to our pets but at least we can do the best for them and so lucky to have them in the first place.flowers

shysal Sat 25-Oct-14 17:44:07

What dreadful news! I hope you all manage to come to terms with your loss before too long.

My vet wanted me to put my cats on dry dental care food as Bugsie's gums were a bit inflamed. I am afraid I chose to give moist pouches at breakfast and dry at night. They both drink a lot of water (Saffron from my bath!), so I hope their kidneys will stay healthy.

Look after yourself Ethel flowers

Marelli Sat 25-Oct-14 17:36:45

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear about wee Lily, Etheltbags1. My last cat, Lucky, had to be put to sleep about 2 years ago and, as with you and Lily, died in my arms. It's something I'll never forget and even the vet herself was in tears. I'm so glad I was able to do that much for him. His kidneys failed, too.
You did the very, very best that you could for her. Your other cats will comfort you and each other, I'm sure. They have a way of knowing, don't they? flowers

etheltbags1 Sat 25-Oct-14 17:06:56

we curled up last night on the sofa together but it wasn't the same as having Lily being there too. The other two aren't fighting so much today so I hope they are settling down. Im going to make a big fuss of them as im sure animals know that they are dying or one of them is going to die. Before I took her to the vets, Charlie licked her face all over as if saying goodbye.

Lona Sat 25-Oct-14 16:50:38

Etheltbags So sorry to hear about your puss flowers

Charleygirl Sat 25-Oct-14 16:47:58

Ethelbags1 I am so sorry to hear that your beloved Lily was put to sleep but you know that she is in a better place, free of pain and suffering. You must give your other cats extra cuddles as they will be missing her also.

nightowl Sat 25-Oct-14 16:43:28

I'm so sorry to hear that Etheltbags.

I took my cat off dried food as well. I found it difficult to get him to accept fresh food after biscuits and read that it is easier to make the transition to tinned food first, as that gets them used to wet food, then move on to fresh cooked or raw meat. It does take time but it's well worth it, so do persevere. My old boy is much healthier now.

merlotgran Sat 25-Oct-14 16:30:07

Sorry to hear about Lily, ethelbags flowers

tanith Sat 25-Oct-14 16:21:13

Sorry to hear that news ethelbags and of course you'll miss her but you had done all you could for her and letting her go was a kindness, doesn't make it any easier though.

etheltbags1 Sat 25-Oct-14 16:18:46

On Thursday the vet rang saying that Lily was much worse and they recommended she be put to sleep. I went to be with her and held her while they injected her. She was so beautiful.

thank you for all your kind thoughts, I am so worried about the others now, Im keep checking them to see if they are losing weight, they stopped eating after Lily went to the hospital and I read online that dried cat food was the worst thing to give them and causes kidney failure in older cats. Ive been cooking liver (didn't like),fish etc to give them more fresh foods but they are junk food addicts. I bought them new toys today and hope this will give them a new interest. I miss Lily so much.

RIP my beautiful feral queen.