Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat Allergy - how to remove cat dander from carpets

(24 Posts)
seacliff Mon 18-Jan-16 17:33:00

Wonder if anyone has had a similar problem. We have 4 cats, had 4 for 17 years, now got a new 4. Our lounge has a fitted wool carpet, and over last few years my husband has been "clearing his throat" a lot, especially when at home. His doctor told him it was due to nerves, but now not so sure.

Our 30 year old son is visiting from abroad for first time in 7 years, and he'd only been in house an hour when he was getting bad breathing problems, had to get inhaler and anti histamines from Doc.He did have mild asthma when in UK but it was fine when abroad, hot dry climate.

He says the lounge affects him more than other rooms. We think the carpet needs a deep clean (we don't want to go with hard flooring if possible). Not sure which professional cleaner would be best? We have a Sebo upright with Hepa filter, but admittedly don't hoover very often. We wondered about an air purifier but not convinced that does much good.

I said OH should go back to Doc and ask to be sent to allergy clinic to find out exactly what the problem is.

Thanks for any advice.

loopylou Mon 18-Jan-16 17:39:46

I'd try vacuuming daily first, with the present vacuum cleaner, before thinking about changing it (it's a really good make). That might be enough to stop or greatly reduce the problems.

Four cats produce quite a bit of fur and dander!

seacliff Mon 18-Jan-16 17:44:18

Thanks loopylou. I should have said, just recently we have been vacuuming about twice a week. Maybe every day would help. Just thought there might be a industrial type vacuum we could hire, that really lifts deep dust/dander(yuk!)

loopylou Mon 18-Jan-16 18:53:26

I wonder if a professional carpet cleaning company would be able to do that? It might be better than doing it yourself (I find hiring carpet cleaners is very hit and miss!)

Good luck!

acemodar Fri 29-Jan-16 06:10:12

What’s a nice vacuum cleaner for pet hair? So I chose the Boston Terrier breed because hair shedding is supposed to be just “average”. That doesn’t seem like the case now. There’s hair on my bed, my carpet, my sofa, my car, the bathroom, a bunch of hairs under the stairs and sometimes even on my food! Seems like my handheld Vax which is supposedly meant for pet hair is not working the way it should be.

I’m considering this - Vax Air Pet U87-MA-Pe Upright which I found on this list because it’s a bit cheap. But it’s a Vax and I don’t know if I should believe the brand anymore. Besides, I want a handheld one because hair is everywhere and not just on the floor. I tried checking out this best list for 2016 but no handheld ones either. Help!

Teetime Fri 29-Jan-16 09:07:00

I would have the carpets cleaned professionally or consider changing any that are past their use by date if that's possible. Then at least a once a day hoover with a good hoover that is meant to cope with pet stuff. Personally I'd re-home the cats if it was affecting someone's health. Can't have cats anywhere near us DD2 goes straight into an asthma attack and she loves cats. I come up in big welts and uncontrollable sneezing.

f77ms Wed 16-Mar-16 08:28:21

I have 5 cats and vacuum everyday , mop all hard floors and dust . If I didn`t the house would be covered in cat fur and a bit catty smelling .
How do you get away with vacuuming twice a week !
I use a dyson and clean the filter every few months . I suspect your husbands throat clearing is an allergy .

Willow500 Wed 16-Mar-16 13:13:11

I've got 2 cats (reduced sadly over the years from the 3 we always seemed to have) one of which is an extremely hairy silver tabby and who has the run of the house so cat hair is big problem. My husband periodically seems to suffer with nasal problems - he's had polyps removed twice - and often blames the cat. The other one isn't quite so hairy and spends a lot of his time outside. I recently bought a Dyson Absolute which I can't rate highly enough despite the cost. It's replaced the heavy Dyson upright I've been using for the last few years and the amount of hair it picks up is amazing. It's so portable I am much more inclined to get it out every day and also takes upstairs - the different heads clean both the carpets and the laminate and vinyl flooring as well as the stairs. I've got a fairly big house and it literally takes me no more than 10 minutes to go through it all. I'm sure it's removing the dander in the carpet and I also use it to hoover the mattresses which produces a huge amount of 'dust'!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Mar-16 13:16:24

If they are allergic to cats, and it sounds like they are, hoovering won't do it. Nothing will. Except bye bye moggies.

Shaunsmith Mon 21-Aug-17 06:27:14

Helpful thread

Jane10 Mon 21-Aug-17 07:33:18

Is your DH on any meds? If so check the Ramipril thread that was up a few months ago.

seacliff Mon 21-Aug-17 07:57:57

Thanks for the idea Jane, but no he's not. May have to invest in a new vacuum.

suzied Mon 21-Aug-17 08:26:25

Miele cat and dog is a good vacuum. But I'd get rid of the carpets and have wooden floors and rugs .

MawBroon Mon 21-Aug-17 08:34:30

I saw a "Shark" vacuum cleaner on QVC recently which is promised to suck up everything bar the joists under the floor.
Worth a try?

Charleygirl Mon 21-Aug-17 09:19:23

I agree with suzied- Miele cats and dogs is very good although for me a bit heavy. I keep that one upstairs and an ordinary Miele downstairs so that nobody has to heave a hoover up and downstairs.

LadyGracie Mon 21-Aug-17 09:33:22

Vacuum daily, you have a good vacuum cleaner. No necessary to get rid of cats, my DD manages her allergy with antihistamines, she wouldn't be without her cats.

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Aug-17 09:45:37

Hi seacliff
just spotted thread is over a year old
otherwise Jings had popped back
How is your DH now?

seacliff Mon 21-Aug-17 12:15:39

Still got the cough Cherrytree... Yes an old post!. He asked the doctor a while ago .... he suggested buying anti histamine tablets, which do seem to help. But he really doesn't want to loose the cats or the carpet. So he's putting up with it. Actually we now have 6 cats!!! Don't ask.

Our son stayed here a few months and gradually got used to it again,. I an sure the cats cause it.

Personally I'd be happy to get rid of carpets and just have big rugs. No chance of moths either with hard flooding.

Sparklefizz Mon 21-Aug-17 13:39:30

My daughter has 6 much-loved cats and my granddaughter reacted badly with streaming eyes and nose. She didn't want to give her antihistamines at a young age, and instead gave her a homeopathic remedy called Cat Fur (she ordered it from Galen Homeopathics in Dorset) and it has worked a treat - no more problems, and that was a couple of years ago. If the symptoms return, she will just give her some more. It's not expensive and no side effects.

Shaunsmith Mon 28-Aug-17 22:47:00

I personally use shark vacuums<a href="http://findbestvacuums.com">.</a>

Shaunsmith Mon 28-Aug-17 22:53:45

petvacuums are love

f77ms Tue 29-Aug-17 06:45:00

Sparklefizz is your post an advert ?

illtellhim Wed 30-Aug-17 09:14:35

Well, this is one way to get rid of cats hairs, just had to post, not stopped laughing.

MawBroon Wed 30-Aug-17 10:41:04

Strange sense of humour, some people have.