Gransnet forums

Pets

Natural flea treatments?

(13 Posts)
rubylady Sun 15-May-16 23:50:50

I put a flea treatment on my doggie earlier with insecticides in and she had a wierd reaction to it, skitting out, running around, totally out of character, so I washed it off. I am not wanting to use any like this on her again so, does anyone know of any natural flea treatments for small dogs please? Both she and I would appreciate it.

I only used nit lotion once on my DC, after that it was conditioner and nit comb. I don't want harmful chemicals on my family.

whitewave Mon 16-May-16 03:05:40

Does your dog have fleas? Our dog is 6 and has never had a single flea as far as we are aware. We have never used any flea preparation on him.

If he needed it we would get the stuff from the vet.

f77ms Mon 16-May-16 07:06:08

I believe tea tree oil works but I wouldn't chance putting anything on him till you have spoken to the vet . Google natural flea treatments and see what comes up x

Iam64 Mon 16-May-16 07:23:57

Lots of dog owners won't use chemicals and there is a lot of information on line about natural treatments.

Many years ago, I came home from holiday to find my house infested. I'd left the dog with a friend, who called every day to feed the cat. I'd been using an off the counter treatment for the dog and the cat wore a flea collar. Needless to say, all my pets have been treated with the dreadful chemicals, as recommended by our vet, since then. Once bitten as they say.

TriciaF Mon 16-May-16 11:06:09

Flea infestations are a nightmare - you'll certainly know it if your pet does have fleas. It's never just one or two.
We had to burn floor mats (luckily floors are all tiled) and set off "bombes" in the main rooms before going to bed. And used chemicals on the pets.
They can return too, I've heard of them hibernating under wallpaper.

NanaandGrampy Mon 16-May-16 14:08:17

Was it a liquid de-flea er?

If so the symptoms you describe are normal. It's nothing to do with the chemicals but the feeling of the slightly viscose liquid on the skin. Our vet described it as a creeping feeling lol so it might just be that.

rubylady Mon 16-May-16 14:27:03

No, she doesn't have fleas, never has.

TriciaF Mon 16-May-16 14:51:31

We use a "spot-on" tick and flea treatment which some dogs and cats are allergic to. Frontline combo, or Advantix. There are a lot of ticks in the long grass around us.

Grannyben Mon 16-May-16 19:39:44

When we got our first dog, over 20 years ago, our lovely vet also told us not to treat her for fleas unless she actually had them. In 16 years we had one tick but not a single flea

Iam64 Mon 16-May-16 19:55:25

I use Advantix as the vet says fleas seem to be bursting through the Frontline protecter. My one experience if flea infestation led me down the chemical route and despite the anxieties this causes, we've never had a flea and all our dogs have lived to ripe old ages, in good health to the end of their lives.

rubylady Tue 17-May-16 01:51:40

She's been scratching though and nibbling her hind leg. I know she has no fleas so could this be because her fur is getting longer and she is getting too warm now the weather is changing? I have started to trim her up today and hopefully it will calm her down a little? It's like having a baby, not knowing what is wrong. hmm

Alea Tue 17-May-16 07:20:56

I got Nexguard for Grace last summer as Frontline clearly wasn't defeating them. She wasn't scratching, but being short haired and white, the flea dirt (which I thought was black dandruff) was visible. I had already spent a fortune on big cans of Indorax spray too for the carpets and skirting in the whole house but the new treatment worked immediately.

rubylady Tue 17-May-16 17:17:30

Well, she seems a lot calmer today after I gave her a tiny bit of an antihistamine for her allergic reaction. She's not drowsy and has just been back to her normal self since she took it. I will research natural flea treatments in depth and then I am not putting insecticides on her from now on.

Thanks for your replies. smile