Gransnet forums

Pets

Facebook fears

(10 Posts)
mamamags Sat 14-Jan-17 15:23:00

I joined Facebook with the sole intension of staying in touch with family and friends. It suited my needs and I was quite happy at seeing what everyone was doing with their lives. It was all so nice and friendly, but now it seems that whenever I log in I am inundated with photos and videos depicting animal cruelty. I get quite distressed by these and they seem to stay on my mind for days and I can't stop thinking about them.
I am the kind of person that breaks down in tears when watching a western movie and one of the horses gets killed. The cowboys don't bother me one iota, they can die by the dozen{grin}, and I never watch nature programs for fear of watching them kill their prey, although I know that it is built into their nature to survive.

Anyway, I digress, so back to this Facebook program. How can I stop these horrible things from popping up. None of these are placed on by my friends or family, so where are they getting permission to appear on my site

ginny Sat 14-Jan-17 15:39:37

If you look at the right hand corner of these posts there is a little arrow. Click on this and youvshoul get the option to hide posts from the sender. Hth

ginny Sat 14-Jan-17 15:50:56

I think there may be an option to stop posts from particular sites too.

tanith Sat 14-Jan-17 16:00:59

Random posts like that do appear on Facebook I'm afraid it could be that either you or a friend or family member may just have commented on something linked to the post.
As ginny says try clicking on the arrow on the right top and there should be the option to hide more posts. If not you need to go into your Facebook settings and possibly do it from there.

Badenkate Sat 14-Jan-17 16:04:34

I know exactly how you feel mamamags. Yes, just click on the little arrow on top right and it will give you the option of blocking posts from that site.

By the way, as you're a member of the soft-hearted brigade, do you know there is a website www.doesthedogdie.com which tells you what happens to the animal in any film - in other words, does it die or become injured etc.

BlueBelle Sat 14-Jan-17 16:07:43

Usually the animal ones come from the same originator click on the side triangle ( top right) to hide it will say do you want to hide all like this tick yes and you should get rid of a lot if they come from another source do the same again until you have got rid of most of them you can also tick a box to see no adverts and again if a particular person is publishing them you can block them too. fairly simple to set it so you see nothing you don't want to Give it a try come on back if it needs more tweaking

rockgran Sat 14-Jan-17 16:11:45

I also like to use Facebook to keep in touch and see photos of friends and family but I had a problem with a friend who insisted on using her page to show these distressing animal pictures and they came up on my Newsfeed without warning.
I agree that you can "hide" stuff from any particular website - I use this often as I also hate too much political stuff.

A further tip :- If you want to stay friends with someone who does this you can *unfollow" by clicking the follow button at the top of her page on Facebook so you can look at her page occasionally but it doesn't appear in your Newsfeed. She won't be aware that you have done this. I didn't want to "unfriend" mine as she is a dear friend. (It is also useful if someone is too enthusiastic and hogs the Newsfeed.)

valeriej43 Sun 11-Jun-17 19:37:14

Some of these posts are horrible, but i think its mainly to let people know what is going on with abuse to animals, with petitions to sign, and lots of abusers have been caught and prosecuted,
As has been said just click on the hide arrow

Nelliemoser Sun 11-Jun-17 20:11:09

Yes it is possible to hide this stuff with the little not very obvious button in the top right corner. You could also set your privacy settings.
I think some of these animal and child welfare posts are not genuine and are posted as ways of getting a "like" giving a boost to someones particular business or advertising site?

Something like that anyway I am not sure how that works. If anyone knows what I mean please clarify.

Elegran Sun 11-Jun-17 20:17:49

Nellie The search engines put the site with the most clicks at the top of their list, where they get even more clicks because they are the first that people see (unto them that hath shall be given!) so people put things on them to attract visitors - fluffy kittens and stuff about animal cruelty, things that say "Click for more" of a video and inaccurate quizzes to tell you which fruit you most resemble and so on ("you are bananas"?)