Gransnet forums

Pets

Vocal deaf cat

(14 Posts)
Squeak1111 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:59:01

We rehoused a deaf cat last year. She is adorable and we love her dearly but she's terribly vocal. Lately she's started going out very early in the morning through her cat flap but instead of retracing her steps back indoors she sits by the front door and cries until one of us gets up to let her in. I know this reinforces her behaviour but she makes such a racket I'm worried about her waking the neighbors. Any advice?

rosesarered Fri 24-Mar-17 10:44:17

Is she old?
Perhaps deaf cats are more vocal?
Keep her in overnight ( with litter tray handy)?

Katek Fri 24-Mar-17 11:09:45

Is she Persian or part Persian? They're very vocal (I know!) as are Siamese. It may just be a breed characteristic. Not much help, sorry.

Sparklefizz Fri 24-Mar-17 11:31:38

Katek could be right about breed characteristics. I had a half pedigree Turkish Van cat (no, I'd never heard of them either until I had one!) and I'd never heard such a racket .... the loudest miaow ever! In which case there's not a lot you can do to turn down the volume, but for more convenience I'd have a litter tray and lock the cat flap overnight.

TriciaF Fri 24-Mar-17 11:36:50

I think deafness is very disorientating for an animal. Our collie has suddenly become very deaf, and she often looks confused, and barks at inappropriate times. She can't tell where a noise is coming from.
So your cat has maybe forgotten when is the right time to cry. Or maybe they like the sound of their own voice, something the CAN hear?
We used to look after our neighbour's dog, who was deaf. He used to spend hours just standing looking blank.

lilihu Fri 24-Mar-17 11:41:28

Oh golly, is she safe outside? I was thinking about hearing traffic and other noises that may warn her of danger.
I'm a bit paranoid about cats outside as we lost 2 to traffic accidents. We now have indoor cats who are not interested in going outside!
As for the noise, I can''t help sorry. She probably doesn't know she's yelling!!
As others have suggested, keep her locked in with a litter tray for the sake of the neighbours and your sleep?

HildaW Fri 24-Mar-17 16:05:49

How old is this cat? Elderly cats can develop a form of dementia. Our old cat did....got louder and seemed less confident, needed us to stick to a routine and she needed safe places to be in the house rather like a confused old person.

LadyGracie Fri 24-Mar-17 16:11:56

My BSH is 17 in July and has gone deaf in the last year or so, she is also very vocal, when she thinks she's alone, she screeches very loudly it's horrific. I would lock the cat flap so that the cat can't get out. Ours uses a tray in the conservatory, she only ventures into the garden when it's sunny or we're out there.

Squeak1111 Fri 24-Mar-17 20:25:58

Thanks for all your replies. She's actually only 2 years old! When we got her she had been in an accident and only had 3 legs - as well as being deaf! It's so good to see her so well recovered and full of fun that it's hard to curtail her activities. She's so keen to go outside and loves playing but we will certainly think about limiting her outdoor access at night.

mumofmadboys Sat 25-Mar-17 07:34:32

Our cat who is 17 has become a lot noisier. She lets out really loud pitiful cries often in the night time but when I go and check her she is ok.

rosesarered Sat 25-Mar-17 10:49:05

Old cats do become very noisy it's true, but maybe deaf cats, of whatever age just shout ( a bit like some hard of hearing people!)

Willow500 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:19:17

Well done for rehoming an older pet. Our cat who we lost 2 years ago was blind and very vocal too - I think it is a sense of disorientation and also I believe he had a form of dementia. We had one who went deaf some years ago (she was nearly 22 when she died) - she would also howl like a baby. I would be worried about letting yours out too - is there a way to keep her in or catify your garden so she can't get round the front?

Kitspurr Tue 11-Apr-17 15:32:44

My vet told me to keep my deaf cat in and only let him out when supervised, as hard of hearing cats are very vulnerable outside.

Izabella Tue 11-Apr-17 17:05:28

Our previous puss who we had put to sleep aged 18 was deaf and developed feline dementia which sounds like your cat. She could yowl at an Olympic level but we were convinced she did not realise. Luckily we are country folk with no roads so she was given free reign of the woodlands. As her sight failed we took the difficult decision to have her put to sleep. However, like you she was a rescue cat and spent the last years of her life in luxury and was doted on by everyone. Her favourite bed was between the geldings ears. He would lower his head for her to leap onboard and he mourned her for weeks after she died. How he knew I don't know.

I am sure your own puss does not remember the rear cat flap. Perhaps put another one in at the front?