Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat shampoo

(7 Posts)
callgirl1 Wed 29-Mar-17 20:59:55

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as dry shampoo for cats? My white cat is always getting oil on her back due to sitting underneath cars. In the past, I`ve bathed her, but she hates it, and gets very distressed, and I get VERY wet, so I`m trying to avoid bathing her from now on. If such a thing does exist, it needs to be able to remove oil.

tanith Wed 29-Mar-17 21:07:06

I doubt there is anything dry that would remove oil callgirl1 I would not bath her but try cottonwool warm water and a little washing up liqued. A cat will keep licking to remove the oil and you don't want her to swallow that. At the vet they would probably sedate the cat to clean them.

callgirl1 Thu 30-Mar-17 23:01:51

I took her to the vets about 4 years ago because they said they`d give her a "special" bath to get rid of the oil. After a few hours, they rang to say that she wasn`t being very co-operative and could they have our permission to sedate her. When we collected her later, on a freezing cold February teatime, she was still wet through, and we had to take her out in the cold. It cost us £53! On the way out, I asked the vet what we could do ourselves, as we can`t keep taking her there for baths at that cost, she said "Oh, we use Swarfega!" I`ve used it myself since, but like I say, I don`t want to upset her by bathing her again. I just wish she`d keep away from flipping cars!

LuckyDucky Mon 03-Apr-17 22:01:14

Hi callgirl

Yes, there are cat shampoos. We have one which leaves our cats' coats smooth and shiny.

Please don't use swarfega. Chemicals suitable for human can be harmful to animals.

Can you keep her inside for two to three months, in order to break her of the habit? You will have to provide her with a litter tray, water and plenty of 'new' toys.

Cindersdad Mon 24-Apr-17 07:51:41

Generally cats don't like being washed, however sometimes it is necessary. Most pet shops will stock suitable shampoo. You should only do it when absolutely necessary and do it yourself at home where the cat feels safe. Warm water in the bath or kitchen sink. They generally struggle at first but resign themselves quickly enough, better without gloves if you can manage it. Rinse with a warm shower and towel dry. Allow to dry off somewhere warm. I got some shampoo a long time ago and only used it once of my previous cat when he had gone up the chimney and came down absolutely rotten.

vampirequeen Mon 24-Apr-17 09:47:10

I used to have a cat that needed bathing regularly because he insisted on going into the smelliest places imaginable. He didn't like it but it had to be done. I bought a special shampoo which didn't lather too much and, probably to his disgust, made him smell of lavender. The knack is to do the washing as quickly as possible and have a thick towel ready to dry the cat and protect yourself. Have plenty of clean water in containers ready for rinsing. It sounds cruel but squash the cat into the water. It will complain but doing that will protect your arms from flailing claws. It won't hurt the cat. When it's rinsed wrap the towel around it. Again this will protect you and also take the worst of the water off its coat. Let the cat go and leave it to calm down. It will groom itself dry (hence the special shampoo) and sulk for a while but it won't hold it against you forever grin

callgirl1 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:33:18

LuckyDucky, it was the vet who told me to use Swarfega, but I don`t really like the idea. It`s not getting norml dirt out that`s the problem, it`s oil from underneath cars. Even if I kept her in for a while, which she would HATE, I think she`d still go under cars when she got out again. I`ll try the pet shop next time I`m in town.